A CA-1 day's work in private practice fees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powermd

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last week I had a day of short ortho cases- 4 MAC carpal tunnel/trigger finger release type procedures, then 4 regionals (axillary blocks, elbow blocks) for slightly more involved hand procedures. The room started around 7:30 and finished at 4:30, each case was roughly 45-60 min. Approximately how much in anesthesiology fees would this day of work have generated in a private practice setting?

Members don't see this ad.

powermd said:
Last week I had a day of short ortho cases- 4 MAC carpal tunnel/trigger finger release type procedures, then 4 regionals (axillary blocks, elbow blocks) for slightly more involved hand procedures. The room started around 7:30 and finished at 4:30, each case was roughly 45-60 min. Approximately how much in anesthesiology fees would this day of work have generated in a private practice setting?

If they were all medicare cases, probably around 2k.

Impossible to say for sure for people younger than 65 since insurance carriers vary so much. Best case scenerio, around 4-5K.

You usually make the best money on days like this where cases are 1 hour or less.

2 or 3 MAC cases with private insurance for say, carpal tunnels, where your sister could do the anesthesia, will pay you about the same as a medicare CABG. :eek:

jetproppilot said:
If they were all medicare cases, probably around 2k.

Impossible to say for sure for people younger than 65 since insurance carriers vary so much. Best case scenerio, around 4-5K.

You usually make the best money on days like this where cases are 1 hour or less.

2 or 3 MAC cases with private insurance for say, carpal tunnels, where your sister could do the anesthesia, will pay you about the same as a medicare CABG. :eek:

I figured as much. That's why I asked. Thanks, Jet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking a quick stab at this:

Say a 3 point start for each case plus 4 points for time for each = 7 points X 8 cases = 56 points for the day. Private insurance rate of 40-60 dollars per point, make it $50/point.

56 X $50 = $2,800 = I can deal with that. If the cases are more involved = 5 point start plus 4 points per case = 9 points per case X 8 cases = 72 points at $50/point = $3,600 = Again, I can deal with that.

Reality is that collection will probably be at 60-70% or what you bill and lower if you have medicare/medicaid involved. Still a nice piece of change for an easy day's work.

Our time is billed at 1 unit per 10" or fraction thereof. 51 minutes buys you 6 time units.

Carpal tunnel =3 units + 6 units time = 9 units x 4 cases = 36 units.

A little bigger hand case might = 4 units + 6 time units = 10 units x 4 cases = 40 units.

76 units x $60/unit (non discounted rate) = $4560

That's $500/hr. Not too shabby.

Yeah, I know insurance knocks it way down, but that would destroy my straightforward math and sunny outlook. :laugh:

UTSouthwestern said:
Taking a quick stab at this:

Say a 3 point start for each case plus 4 points for time for each = 7 points X 8 cases = 56 points for the day. Private insurance rate of 40-60 dollars per point, make it $50/point.

56 X $50 = $2,800 = I can deal with that. If the cases are more involved = 5 point start plus 4 points per case = 9 points per case X 8 cases = 72 points at $50/point = $3,600 = Again, I can deal with that.

Reality is that collection will probably be at 60-70% or what you bill and lower if you have medicare/medicaid involved. Still a nice piece of change for an easy day's work.

My previous gig we billed in ten minute increments...not 15...

$2000/day, $4300/day, $500 bones an hour?.....

big freakin deal! I just finished my last intership shift of my 80 hour week today to collect a cool $9.34 an hour. Don't hate me b/c I'm rich.

And yes Jet and UT, it is too late for you to try and retrovert and get the sweet gig I have now. Keep your heads up and try to trudge through your painful week with little to no renumeration for your skills. :)