A Canadian needs help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simply_me

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends!

I have looked through all the threads but can't seem to find my answer.
I am from Vancouver, currently in third year of undergraduate degree (molecular biology and biochemistry). Sadly, my cGPA is pretty low for US/Canadian medical schools (3.1). Therefore, I am considering the option to study medicine outside of North America. It would be either India, Carribean or Australia.

For Australia, I want to know if there are any medical schools that accept students without a degree? I have done all the pre-med requirements though. Do I have to complete my undergraduate degree to study in Australia?

I looked into the UQ/Oschner program which looks pretty similar to carribean schools (2 yrs outside of US + 2 yrs in US). I found USyd very interesting (I guess because it's in Sydney :p). I think they require a bachelors degree, right? Assuming they do, do I have any chances to get in with 3.1 GPA. I read that GPA actually doesn't matter, its the MCAT score and the interviews. Is that true? If yes, then its AWESOME :D I plan to write MCAT in April 2010 and I think I can do well in interviews (lets hope so).
Also, what kind of exams do I have to write if I choose to stay in Australia and not come back to US/Canada?

I need to make a decision soon so any advice would be appreciated :D
Thanks for your time and input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

63 views!! and no reply??
Please someone answer my question :(

The thing is, you answered your own question. GPA doesn't matter so much as your MCAT. You need to write that and present your scores before anyone can give you reasonable advice as to your chances. For the schools that do require GPA, though, you're relatively borderline, although 3.1 could be offset by a 30+ MCAT, in which case you should be ok.

If you're looking for specifics, have a look here

GPA does not matter for a few schools and for others, it definitely is weighted into consideration. That blog posting should answer most of your questions.

:)

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Transition, thanks for replying :)

I also want to know if there are any medical schools in Australia that do not require a bachelors degree (undergraduate-entry)??? Any that I can enter with my high school diploma or all pre-med courses?

I'm not sure what the requirements are with respect to bachelor's degrees. You will probably end up needing to have completed one before going, but they may be flexible depending on your situation. I never looked into that requirement, personally. The link I provided does give you the link to each of the grad-entry school web sites and from there, you should be able to find email information to get that information from the schools. That's, obviously, the most reliable place for you to go for these types of questions.

Based on high school stuff for entry - well, that's called a school leaver. Those are typically 6 years degrees. The schools I know that do have them are UQ, Monash, Flinders, UMelb and UTas. They're quite competitive though, and will need a 95+ avg (from my brief perusing of their websites... again, do contact the schools) and you will need to write the UMAT which is an entry exam similar to the MCAT or GAMSAT.

Thanks a lot Transition :) I really appreciate that!

No problem and good luck!

Feel free to PM or post on the blog if you have any further questions. I don't check these boards much any more so those are the best ways to get in touch with me.

Hey Transition, thanks for replying :)

I also want to know if there are any medical schools in Australia that do not require a bachelors degree (undergraduate-entry)??? Any that I can enter with my high school diploma or all pre-med courses?

I know that in Australia (except the University of Melbourne's upcoming Doctor of Medicine program) that the degree required to become a physician is considered an undergraduate degree as it is titled the Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, better known as MBBS.

Therefore, if you have taken all of the prerequisite courses the school requires you should be able to get into their medical program... However, you will probably have to take the 6-year route, mentioned above, without having previously earned a bachelors as the 4-year MBBS is generally reserved for students who already have an undergraduate degree.

I've stumbled across a phrase on a couple of schools' websites that reads something along the lines of: a bachelor's degree is required for the MBBS program as the program is considered graduate entry for an undergraduate degree.

Their nomenclature is confusing. I'd e-mail the admissions office(s) of the school(s) you are interested in and ask directly.

My guess is you will find it hard to get into a 4-year MBBS program without a bachelor's degree but you will probably be able to get into a 6-year program.

EDIT: Keep it in mind that you've already missed application deadlines to go to Australian med school in 2010 as their program begins in late-January/early-February.

I'd suggest you find out exactly what you need to do to get your bachelor's degree and take extra courses over winter break, next semester, the summer, and in the Fall semester so that you can graduate in December 2010, which will make you eligible for admission into Aus Medical School, Spring 2011, the earliest you could go anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks Transition. I did look at your blog and it has very interesting and useful information. I will probably contact you on your blog later with more questions :)

Augustus, thanks for the advice!! But sadly, there is no way I can graduate in December 2010. I have somewhat 40 credits left and have MCAT to write as well. The earliest I can graduate is 2011.
Yes even I found their nomenclature very confusing. Since most of the australian med schools are graduate-entry, still they are called Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS). I think I am going to contact the school directly regarding admissions! If nothing works out, then I am going to look into 6-year programs!

I'll outline the difference for you:

The MBBS degree can be either graduate-entry or undergrad-entry. The Australian MBBS is equivalent to the American MD degree. If you go back to the US or Canada afterwards, you'll be called "MD" either way. In Australia, "MD" means something different.

The undergrad-entry program takes 6 years out of high school, and you get the MBBS degree.

The graduate-entry program takes 4 years, but you are ALWAYS required to have a bachelor's degree. You still get the MBBS degree at the end.

Bond University in Australia has a program that's a little bit less than 5 years out of high school, But I'm not sure if they're accredited in all US states.

I'll outline the difference for you:

The MBBS degree can be either graduate-entry or undergrad-entry. The Australian MBBS is equivalent to the American MD degree. If you go back to the US or Canada afterwards, you'll be called "MD" either way. In Australia, "MD" means something different.

The undergrad-entry program takes 6 years out of high school, and you get the MBBS degree.

The graduate-entry program takes 4 years, but you are ALWAYS required to have a bachelor's degree. You still get the MBBS degree at the end.

Bond University in Australia has a program that's a little bit less than 5 years out of high school, But I'm not sure if they're accredited in all US states.

I know that in Australia the degree required to become a physician is considered an undergraduate degree as it is titled the Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery.

Even Canada med degrees (MD or MDCM) are cosidered undergrad degrees. Actually most all of the world views them as such. MD, MBBS, etc ...they all just represent an equivalent basic entry level qualification in medicine.

Last edited:

no aus med school is "accredited" in the states. Bond students learn the same material.. It's just accelerated (trimester system with no holidays). I heard there is a university in Cali (UOP) that has a dental program that is 5 years for students out of high school (previous degree isn't required). Mcmaster and Calgary med schools in Canada are both only 3 years long (also don't require previous degrees). ...and theyre programs ARE accredited in the states!

I'm not sure what the requirements are with respect to bachelor's degrees. You will probably end up needing to have completed one before going, but they may be flexible depending on your situation.

unless you are a US citizen (maybe greencard) I don't think UQ/Oschner is an option for you unless they have changed their rules since then. Does anyone know if they filled up their 90 person quota... I had to decide against it... I could not justify the 50grand a year hit since I had other options.