A chance for Medical School for sub 3.0 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopeandBelieve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was wondering what schools are a bit more friendly towards sub 3.0 GPA(actually 2.8) than the rest of the medical schools. I know average GPA for Howard and Merharry are 3.1, but are there others that are more lenient towards a low GPA but good MCAT, extracurriculars etc?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't say that any U.S. medical school is lenient towards low GPA's. With that said, though, I also wouldn't say that it's completely impossible for you to get into a school with a sub 3.0 GPA.

Now that I've gotten the politically correct answer out of the way, I can tell you that your best bet with a lower GPA would be an HBCU, such as the two you already listed. Morehouse is also an HBCU but with a much smaller class size, which would decrease your odds.

Best bet is to take the proper measures to try to increase your GPA to something a bit more competitive!

I don't want to stir the pot, but I do know some people with bad GPAs and/or MCATs who got into med school after doing TFA...just sayin'...

However, that's a two-year commitment...2 years (or 1) you could use boosting your science GPA, so that 1) not only will you be in the running for med school, but 2) actually have some footing to stand on once there. Not that everything you learn in undergrad sci courses preps you for med school, but it's definitely nice to have some solid knowledge before you start.

That being said, only you know why your GPA's low. Could have been personal problems or a rough math course or two that pulled your GPA down - or maybe you switched form something crazy like engineering to a normal major (no offense, engineers...your coursework is just rough!). Your personal story, what you learned from it, and how you convey that to AdComms is what matters - not really any advice you're going to get on here...unless you're willing to open up a bit more and let us know what brought the gpa down.

And I will second the Howard and Meharry vote - probably not Morehouse though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to stir the pot, but I do know some people with bad GPAs and/or MCATs who got into med school after doing TFA...just sayin'...

However, that's a two-year commitment...2 years (or 1) you could use boosting your science GPA, so that 1) not only will you be in the running for med school, but 2) actually have some footing to stand on once there. Not that everything you learn in undergrad sci courses preps you for med school, but it's definitely nice to have some solid knowledge before you start.

That being said, only you know why your GPA's low. Could have been personal problems or a rough math course or two that pulled your GPA down - or maybe you switched form something crazy like engineering to a normal major (no offense, engineers...your coursework is just rough!). Your personal story, what you learned from it, and how you convey that to AdComms is what matters - not really any advice you're going to get on here...unless you're willing to open up a bit more and let us know what brought the gpa down.

And I will second the Howard and Meharry vote - probably not Morehouse though.

Thanks so much for the great answer. My GPA was low because my mom passed away right before i entered college. I was away from college and I had three younger sisters and everything just plummeted throughout college until senior year, my gpa started went above 3.0 (except the C in orgo 2). But i took a year of and retook orgo and got an A and now going to take biochem and retake chem at a NY City College and God willing get A's. Its just my science GPA is 2.6 and I really would love to do a post bach but I highly doubt theyd even accept me.

Thanks for being willing to share a little more - I know it's not easy. However, I'm happy you did, because it helps us get a better, more complete view of your situation. Speaking from personal experience, losing a parent is a very difficult thing to cope with, let alone when making the big transition into college life. I think post-bacc AdComms might be more receptive to your application than you think if you honestly explain to them 1) what had you off-track in college and 2) your dedication to doing whatever it takes to become a doctor. And if they're not, then you can always do an informal post-bacc at your home institution for cheaper and independently raise your GPA.

People have gotten into med school with a much steeper hill to climb due to their GPA, and with substantially less personal obstacles. Imo, sounds like you're on an upward trend - keep going! All is not lost.

Best wishes!

Thanks for being willing to share a little more - I know it's not easy. However, I'm happy you did, because it helps us get a better, more complete view of your situation. Speaking from personal experience, losing a parent is a very difficult thing to cope with, let alone when making the big transition into college life. I think post-bacc AdComms might be more receptive to your application than you think if you honestly explain to them 1) what had you off-track in college and 2) your dedication to doing whatever it takes to become a doctor. And if they're not, then you can always do an informal post-bacc at your home institution for cheaper and independently raise your GPA.

People have gotten into med school with a much steeper hill to climb due to their GPA, and with substantially less personal obstacles. Imo, sounds like you're on an upward trend - keep going! All is not lost.

Best wishes!

Thank you so much for your hopeful words PINKIVY! I will definitely try my best and two classes next semester and hope for the best! Thank you so much! BTW, what are you doing these days?

No prob! Keep us updated - I'm sure your story will be an encouragement for others in the future. As for me, I'm enjoying my last summer vacation as much as possible. Just taking some MPH classes, working on a few research projects, and enjoying the city I neglect for most of the school year