A college freshmen with dreams of becoming a volunteer firefighter, possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raihan Mirza

The Lone Rider
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to be a firefighter as a young kid. Now hearing that many people in sdn has become successful volunteer firefighter, I was wondering how me, an undergraduate freshmen can become a volunteer firefighter. Is it possible? What is the actual process of becoming a volunteer firefighter?

Members don't see this ad.

Find a nearby volunteer station and contact them about sitting in on one of their administrative meetings. Its pretty much a walk in and volunteer thing, you'll likely get to sit in on lots of meetings and then training before you get to do anything though, but training is still fun :)

but don't I have to take some Fire Fighter Exam and pass some fitness test?

Members don't see this ad :)
That depends on station, state and so on. Most places will let you just sign on and go. Then after you get into it you can take fire 1. I was a FF for a few years in college. It was all right. Too many cowboys for me and it interfered with my athletics. But I a bunch of my friends loved it. If you college doesnt have a station, just call the local fire dept and talk to them. They are usually super nice.

As far as fitness test go I think that applies only to pro fire depts. From my friends who have done them they say it is no problem. If you plan on being a fire fighter you should be in shape anyways.

the course you will have to take is called "firefighter 1". the first step is just to go down to the station and ask to volunteer....you will probably have to fill out some application paperwork and wait for a background check (this was the case for my first aid squad). you may or may not have to interview with the membership committee. after that at the monthly board meeting you can be voted in (again, this is just how it works for my first aid squad). you're a probational member for a period of time while you learn the ropes (squads and FD's are very conservative/traditional, you'll be lowest on the totem pole for a while). you can then plan to go through fire school, and once you pass out of there you're certified to do more things (try to do fire school over a summer).

hope that helps!

In most rural fire depts. you don't need ff1 :)

How long is the actual process of being a certified Fire Fighter in New York does it take longer than a year cause I don't want volunteering as a firefighter to interfere with my pre-med studies and my job.

i cant speak for new york (city or suburban?), but i'm from north jersey. my friends finished fire fighter 1 in a month or two over summer. the rest of the in house training will go fast or slow depending on how many hours you have to hang around a fire house (read: whether you want to be a whacker or not)