A couple MIPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Knife & Gun Club

EM/CCM PGY-4
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive have a friend who got an Minor in Possesion as a freshman then again ~2 years later as a junior.

Just curious what people think this'll do to his chances. Both were expunged. LizzyM around 72-3

Members don't see this ad.

Friend is dumb and should probably not apply for many years. The first one, everyone underage drinks (some get caught). The second one, shooting himself in the knee.

Reactions: 1 users
It will presumably not affect his chances, since he is explicitly stated not to report it on AMCAS. For some reason, people propagate the idea that you need to report expunged offenses. If, however, he was given an institutional action and has to report it, then it would of course hurt his chances.

From AMCAS:

Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime, excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile, 2) any convictions which have been expunged or sealed by a court, or 3) any misdemeanor convictions for which any probation has been completed and the case dismissed by the court (in states where applicable)?

You need NOT disclose any instance where you:
  • were arrested, but not charged;
  • were arrested and charged, but the charges were dropped;
  • were arrested and charged, but found not guilty by a judge or jury;
  • were arrested and found guilty by a judge or jury, but the conviction was overturned on appeal; or
  • received an executive pardon.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had two underage drinking citations, one the summer after freshmen year and one the summer after sophomore year and was also received an IA freshmen year for being in the presence of alcohol in the dorms. I reported all three of these incidents to medical schools and was accepted directly out of undergrad. I am sure that it weakened my application, but I included a statement about these incidents and why they are an issue and it worked out for me. 3.7 gpa 510 MCAT

Edit: the two drinking citations were dropped and I was not convicted, but I was still charged, so I included them in secondary applications for schools that asked about having any charges

All I ever did was get a minor in Chemistry. I must not be very adventurous.

Reactions: 1 user