Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

A day in the life of an anesthesiologist

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Ialwayshavegas, 07.03.04.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ialwayshavegas

Ialwayshavegas New Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I'm a fourth year medical student who is interested in anesthesiology as a career, but have only spent limited time with anesthesiologists. Additionally, my medical school is VERY academic, so I have no idea what it is like to be an anesthesiologist in a community setting. What is the life of an anesthesiologist like outside of an academic institution? Is there call? If so, how often? What are the hours like? Is this all determined by the job you accept or is there much variation in job descriptions? Thanks!

I'm not terribly interested in Big Frank's score...Is anyone out there able to answer the question?
  2. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'd be curious about this question too. I just got my Step I score back (267/99) and am interested in now focusing more on WHAT I want to do as opposed to studying for the Step I so much.

Best,
  3. VentdependenT

VentdependenT You didnt build thaT Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
    Go find a cushy radiology residency and enjoy yourself
  4. blotto geltaco

blotto geltaco Old-timer

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Obviously you are very proud of this score. Thanks for sharing.
  5. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Dude, you're going to have to scan that score and post it here as a .JPG. Otherwise, I'm calling b*llsh*t in the meantime.

-Skip
  6. sean wilson

sean wilson Removed

Who cares about his score? If he got it, cool. If not, I'm sure he feels a lot worse about it than any of us should.
  7. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Hey there, my fellow jealous SDN-er:

Per your request, please see my attached pictures of my Step I score report. I hope they are of enough resolution for your tastes.

And always remember: "Jealousy is the most pathetic of all emotions." Michael Douglas, A Perfect Murder

Take care, Skip.... :laugh:

Are YOU a 'Bright'?

Attached Files:

8. VentdependenT

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hahah, good stuff my man.

Check out rads as I stated previously. Its a great field. If I wasn't such a physio, pharm, hemodynamic, and procedure loven freak I would've definitely gone that route...or at least tried. A 260something will raise some eyebrows and land you some great interviews.

Kudos
  9. hndrx1a

hndrx1a electric medical haze

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Is it possible to attach that hand to my picture with "Microsoft's Photo Editor"? :D
  10. Brian Pavlovitz

Brian Pavlovitz give me that marrow!

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Why all the negativity towards bigfrank??
  11. hndrx1a

hndrx1a electric medical haze

SDN 7+ Year Member
    None on my part...I've read his threads in USMLE forum- seems like a cool dude that blew that test apart! :)
  12. MeaCulpa

MeaCulpa Run and do not grow weary

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    a controversial thread in the anesthesia forum that doesnt have to do with tired and worn out crna/aa stuff? wow!!!
    anyways bigfrank, great score, dont post it anymore though (b/c many people didnt do as well).
    Controversy aside, anyone want to comment on the op?
  13. automaton

automaton drone

SDN 5+ Year Member
    whip it out, someone get a ruler :laugh:
  14. Skip Intro

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Yeah, he's a real class act. Here's the PM he sent me about the post:

Apparently, BIG FRANK is quite insecure and needs a lot of reinforcement from complete strangers on an anonymous forum. So, kudos, BIG FRANK. Unless you did an amazing job of "Photoshoping" a 267 on that score report, I stand corrected and un-b*llsh*t my original post.

And, thanks again for the PM. You must be quite an impressive guy in real life. I'm sure you're going to leave great impressions on the Program Directors you meet during interviews. Be sure to act however and say whatever you want. Tell everyone you meet, whether they ask or not, what your score was. Because, after all, we all know that a great Step I score is the only factor in getting your top choice.

-Skip

P.S. I scored well too, albeit not a 267. But, still good enough to get me gas. Yet, I don't feel the need to "score drop" publicly, especially unsolicited.
  15. VentdependenT

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ouch man!
  16. UnderDoc

UnderDoc Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I've got to side with Skip on this one. I find few things more annoying than seeing people prance around with their test-scores raised high above their heads, performing some sort of demented dance of self-validation for a panel of anonymities such as populate these message boards. I think that it is perfectly valid to post board scores, stats, etc. when asking others for realistic assessment based on ones quantitative credentials (ie, should I bother applying to MGH with x score?). However, needless bloated self-aggrandizement achieved by pasting one's board scores into every nook and cranny of SDN reeks of a pathetically under-developed sense of self. Big Frank has been sashaying around SDN and dropping his board scores like a lace hanky on every dirty street corner. It's natural to be excited about high board scores. His family and friends should rightfully be proud of the fruit of his efforts. Everyone else could give a sh*t. One should never make the mistake of buying into the mistaken assumption that high board scores bespeak some sort of fundamental intellectual giftedness or anoint one with superior doctoring skills. They open doors to certain fields but, please, Big Frank, few people on these forums give a crap about your scores, much as you probably give a crap about mine ;) .
  17. powermd

powermd Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    I'm a little surprised at my anesthesia forum comrads here. I would have thought they were mature enough not to get all worked up over someone posting a high board score. Most med students are used to being told "nope, not good enough" their whole lives. It doesn't surprise me when med students with outstanding credentials wonder if they will be competitive enough for a particular residency. I would guess that a lot of high scoring students don't realize just how rare such a high score is for three reasons: 1) their friends probably did about as well, 2) people with lower scores are less motivated to share them in these forums or elsewhere, and 3) high numbers are thrown around all the time as 'par for the course' for certain residencies (not that there aren't plenty of people who match with lesser scores).

You guys ought to relax a little about people who post high scores. Who do you think ends up looking more insecure?
  18. coconut lime

coconut lime Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    i am also very interested in the answer to the OP's question. can anyone please comment??
  19. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Thank you for your many kind comments.

And if members are too stupid to realize that you can "quote" anyone on anything you want, then so be it.

See what I mean?

Basically, Skip Intro, as a resident, has nothing better to do than troll around these forums and bash people who scored higher than him on the Step I. Well, I proved him wrong for calling "bullsh!t" about my score and that was my only intention.

Ouch!
  20. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Thank you for your kind and well-reasoned words. Best wishes.
  21. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I care very much about your scores, especially, if they are given in an open forum discussing specialties, preparing for the Step I, and compeitveness.

I understand people's feelings towards me, really I do.
  22. Lara

Lara Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'm kinda interested too. I was always for IM, but I recently started my first 3rd year rotation in OBGyn and actually *liked* being in the OR for c-sections. :) But I could never take the long hours of surgery and I know I'm not very "good" with my hands. How difficult are the procedures? How quick to react/perform do you have to be in general (which is something that's made me reluctant to consider EM)?

Hopefully this won't be a moot point when I receive my own Step One score. :scared: :laugh:
  23. ItsGavinC

ItsGavinC Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    Dentist SDN 10+ Year Member
    Exactly. I think he just wanted to show he was sincerely interested in the field and has the stats that are necessary to pursue it.

Let's face it, had he said "I have good stats," then surely somebody would have asked "how good?".

It's like shopping for a $100,000 car when you only make $30,000 a year. The dealer isn't too interested in you. Here bigfrank is showing up front that he IS interested in the field (a tribute to your specialty, I might add). The OPs question deserves an answer, and bigfrank is deserving of that answer as well.
  24. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Thank you for your kind words. I agree: medical school education is one of the nosiest and competitive things in the world. If I had said I was merely interested, someone would have questioned my age, someone would have questioned my nationality status, someone else would have questioned my Step I score, someone else would have questioned my medical school, etc.

I am very interested in the field and would never let jealous idiots like Skip Intro deter me. Again, thank you.
  25. tom_jones

tom_jones Senior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Big Frank is Michael Moore
  26. HiddenTruth

HiddenTruth Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Honestly, wussup with the hostility here--why do people get psyched up just cuz of someone's score--yea it's great--he has it--he proved it, now let's move on--why do people like skip intro and others have to "ANALYZE" the fact of the matter--why are you so nosy? Moreso, why does it matter? More than likely you won't ever meet the guy, and a year from now, he will be another SDNer--Now, can someone please answer the orig post please? Thank you
  27. PACtoDOC

PACtoDOC 1K Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I have your back Big Frank. I know you from the USMLE forum on here and you have never been anything but supportive, complementary to others, and most of all genuine. I never doubted your score for a second. And those that did obviously have a slight micro pen** hangup and probably should focus more on their own hormone replacement and less on your score. You asked an honest question and people butchered you for it. They're probably just ticked that their MCAT was worlds above you yet that still will land them in some second rate peds residency because they couldn't muster up to study for step one.

Guys, BigFrank has never once bragged about his score on this forum...not freaking once! I suggest you read his posts where he has complimented and reassured those who have scored in the 2teens, 240's, and even called someone with a 252 an "Awesome" score. Some of you will say that he is just inflating his ego by complimenting those below him, but I will call him a class act. Bigfrank, if these people are the people going into anesthesia these days, then no wonder its easier it has become less competitive. Its easy to compete with self conscious crybabies.

Congrats BigFrank! You earned it the hard way as you have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt.
  28. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

SDN 7+ Year Member
    PACtoDOC,

Again, I am humbled by your kind words. Thank you very much. I appreciate the time you took to write.

Yes, apparently the members on this anesthesiology forum do not represent those in the specialty as a whole. (Anesthesiologists in real life tend to actually be nice, I've seen/heard.)

Anyways, I did learn a lesson here: just don't talk about your numeric Step I score: It's going to piss off a lot of jealous SDN-ers.

Thankfully, most SDN-ers are people like you who exhibit respect for others and take their claims at face value. And, of course, people like you that are happy for others are much happier in the long-run.

:thumbup:
  29. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Wow, a new SDN-er who joined today. I wonder if Skip Intro has a new/another ID!!

:D
  30. Skip Intro

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Now you are daring to insinuate that you didn't send me that PM? So you are a liar too, right? Perhaps you did doctor that score report. Nice.

I'll keep it real simple: Do you deny unequivocally that you sent me that PM? Just answer "yes" or "no". If you say "no", I'm going to get a moderator to back me up. So, just come clean.

Yeah, you're going to make a really great impression during your interviews. I could care less if you got a 300 on Step I. You are a liar if you deny you sent me that PM. And, lastly, I'll stand by what I said before - you care way too much what complete strangers on a forum think of you.

You're a real piece of work, dude. Total class act.

-Skip
  31. Skip Intro

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    No, I don't need to hide behind PM's and sockpuppets. I'll call them like a see them.

By the way, you could have been a lot more gracious when I originally called "b.s." on your score, one of the highest I've ever heard of (and, frankly, one that many people are going to call "b.s." in the future if you don't back it up with proof). Instead you showed your true colors. You must be quite insecure about it and not think it stands on it's own, because you continue to attack me too. But, that's typical of someone who wants to whip his dick out and show everyone how big it is as some measure of how much of a man he is. If you think all it takes to succeed in life is something "big", you're going to be sorely disappointed when a lot of people call you @sshole behind your back - if not, like myself, to your face - and basically dismiss you for being a bragging, egotistical jackass. Yeah, you're going to get REAL far in life.

If that's the way you want to live your life, don't let anyone like me stop you. Guys like you are a dime a dozen, especially in the OR. You exist solely to have your ego stroked. And, I like to just sit back and laugh while they bluster, yet always wonder why they get sued, passed up for promotions, can't seem to find any genuine cooperation or camaraderie from anyone, and (probably what would be the biggest blow to their fragile egos if they knew it) are continually laughed at and mocked behind their backs.

-Skip
  32. PACtoDOC

PACtoDOC 1K Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    WTF Skip? You seem to have a serious personality disorder that makes you envious, jealous, and flat out rude. BigFrank probably did write you that PM, but who really cares? I would have sent you something much worse, trust me. I am one of the SDN fellons around here who has been banished for 3 days at one point, but even I don't attack people for no reason like you did. Take a walk little man and do some biofeedback or something. I suggest you get the BRS Behavioral Science book and try and figure out what is making you so angry!!
  33. Cowboy DO

Cowboy DO Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    You know what would be cool? If we could get back to the original question, what is a day in anesthesiology like? That would be cool.
  34. DrDre'

DrDre' Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Awesome post COWBOY!
  35. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

SDN 7+ Year Member
    More lies from a huge LIAR. You are so pathetic.

It seems like you care too much about me, SKIP. If it helps your fragile ego to think that I doctored the score report, fine, I doctored it. Does that help out? Do you feel better now? I sure hope so.

Bottom line is this: If you feel the need to doctor my PM's to help out your [lonely] cause, then so be it. If you feel better accusing me of doctoring the picture of my 267, then that is fine. I'm looking at it now and it looks pretty good to me.

Best wishes Skip.

By the way, don't send me any more PM's with horrible curse words in them. I take those sorts of personal threats very seriously.

P.S. If you knew how many PM's I've received from SDN-ers who outright can't stand you (per your previous posts), you would think twice before assuming that I must be the kind of person who is mocked behind MY back. This irony makes me grin. :p
  36. stoleyerscrubz

stoleyerscrubz Registered User and Stuff

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Most people post their stats when looking for help so I'm not sure why everyone is getting upset. I followed bigfrank's post on USMLE forum and he comes across as sincere and helpful. If you do not believe his score...does it really matter to you if it is true or not?
  37. PACtoDOC

PACtoDOC 1K Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    You got it Stoly!!
  38. blotto geltaco

blotto geltaco Old-timer

SDN 10+ Year Member
    My opinion as a long time SDN member and one who replied sarcastically to franks post: It never ceases to amaze me the lenghts people go to in order to spew forth ridiculous verbage, all on an anonymous internet bulletin board. frank may be a great guy who posts helpful stuff, but coming out and bragging about your step one score for no good reason is silly and immature. Posting someone elses PM is likewise as well.

I ain't jealous of anyone's score, I matched this spring at the greatest gas program in the country!!! Weeeeeeeeeehooooooooeeeeyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!! 8 days of being a 'tern down!
  39. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

SDN 7+ Year Member
    It never ceases to amaze me regarding some people's lack of intelligence, common sense, and logic. Do you realize that in the same post where you ridicule me for being 'silly' and 'immature' about posting my Step I scores in a forum designed to discuss the competition around a certain field of medicine YOU bragged about being accepted to the "greatest" anesthesiology program in the country?

So, it does come down [again] to your jealousy of my Step I score.

I hope to aspire to your heights. :D
  40. tkim

tkim D-d-d-dilaudid

Attending Physician
    It's obvious that this thread has derailed. Closing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal