A dentist's opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused1617

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This may seem silly, but Im going crazy... So I work as a dental assistant and started to in May 2015. I am having problems with the office manager who thinks she is the all mighty ruler, above all the associate dentists and assistants.

So on Friday, a new patient came in and she got an exam which consists of 2 BTWs and full exam. She needed fillings and so we scheduled her to come in on monday. On her way out, she asked me if cleanings (consist of prophy only) are covered with Medicaid, and I told her yes. Mind you, I only work in the back and I am not responsible for payments or scheduling.

Well Monday comes, and after the office manager gets her file ready and discusses any payments, I seat her. I prepped the room for fillings, but when an associate doctor walks in, she says she is here for a cleaning special and not fillings. This is not covered by Medicaid. I assumed the office manager discussed this with patients and received a payment like usual. So I assist the doctor and after she is done, the manager asks her for a payment, and the patient says I told her it was free on Friday!

So now, the manager is putting blame on me and will be telling the main dentist that its my fault. I told her I never said the special was covered and that it isn't my job to tell the patients prices. She basically said she didn't know why the patient was in and she thought the patient knew she had to pay....

My question is, should I call the main dentist (he has 4 offices and is very busy) to explain my POV, or should I just see what happens.

A. I'm afraid I get fired.
B. I am pretty sure the manager is going to twist the story and put the blame at me.
C. do you think I am at fault? Even though I am relatively new, and I only work in the back and the front workers are supposed to discuss treatments and payments with the patient.

If this happened at your office, what would you prefer happen/

Members don't see this ad.