a DO story- student blog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letgoletbeletsDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a link to a blog I just started. Hoping my journey through medical school (all it's ups and downs) will be a good motivator and reminder that everything works out in the end.

https://letgoletbeletsdo.wordpress.com/

Members don't see this ad.

I like this blog, but feel conflicted about it. I do not think you should live in shame for your mistake, but the beginning of the blog detailing the charges and jail experience comes off pretentious. I commend you for sharing, as that takes a lot of guts, but the initial post read as someone who hadn't taken full responsibility for their actions. But alas, your honesty is more admirable than the choices, and that in itself shows humbleness.

Cool blog. It made me think. :claps:

I'm glad it worked out, but there are some things that I hope you realize: everyone does not drive while intoxicated and everyone does not have an accident while driving after drinking. Regardless of how "not drunk" you think you were, you need to realize that you risked your life and the lives of others deciding to drive in that buzzed state.

You did deserve the DUI, and the 16 hrs or so in jail, but you don't deserve it ruining your life, and fortunately for you, it hasn't. I'm glad you learned from your mistake, and I wish you all the luck in the world for med school and beyond.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to share a link to a blog I just started. Hoping my journey through medical school (all it's ups and downs) will be a good motivator and reminder that everything works out in the end.

https://letgoletbeletsdo.wordpress.com/

Good blog. Your next difficult stage will be when applying for credentialing to start residency and then at every job you do going forward. As you will have to explain your legal charges. I'm pretty sure you are not a LECOM student because what I heard happens at LECOM to students who are suspected of using substances and alcohol (not even having any charges) get mandated into substance treatment programs. Your school sounds supportive. Good luck.

I like this blog, but feel conflicted about it. I do not think you should live in shame for your mistake, but the beginning of the blog detailing the charges and jail experience comes off pretentious. I commend you for sharing, as that takes a lot of guts, but the initial post read as someone who hadn't taken full responsibility for their actions. But alas, your honesty is more admirable than the choices, and that in itself shows humbleness.

Cool blog. It made me think. :claps:

Thank you! I can see where you might view the post as pretentious...I did think, as I was writing, I could come off that way but I wanted to be as candid as possible. The thoughts I had in jail were mostly after hours of sitting around listening to everyone with my head down. I replayed every minute of the night I got caught, I remembered every detail. Believe me, I take full responsibility...I guess, just being in jail built up frustrations. I now have sympathy, empathy and even a little respect for all those locked up..no matter how serious their crime.

I'm glad it worked out, but there are some things that I hope you realize: everyone does not drive while intoxicated and everyone does not have an accident while driving after drinking. Regardless of how "not drunk" you think you were, you need to realize that you risked your life and the lives of others deciding to drive in that buzzed state.

You did deserve the DUI, and the 16 hrs or so in jail, but you don't deserve it ruining your life, and fortunately for you, it hasn't. I'm glad you learned from your mistake, and I wish you all the luck in the world for med school and beyond.

I am fully aware everyone does not drive. In the moment, those are just the thoughts I had. Didn't mean to overgeneralize. And yes, even if I wasn't drunk, I shouldn't have gotten behind the wheel. I did deserve it (if you read my lessons post, I fully acknowledge and appreciate the slap I received). I have since quit drinking altogether

Good blog. Your next difficult stage will be when applying for credentialing to start residency and then at every job you do going forward. As you will have to explain your legal charges. I'm pretty sure you are not a LECOM student because what I heard happens at LECOM to students who are suspected of using substances and alcohol (not even having any charges) get mandated into substance treatment programs. Your school sounds supportive. Good luck.
I don't think residencies will care too much about this, as the OP would have had time pass and a single incident will not sway a decision unless the applicant was already bad. I dunno though, I'm not a PD. Just parroting.

Yes. It will affect EVERYTHING...

Looks like she took it down? I didn't like it. Seemed like the typical reaction of an immature person who gets a DUI- wasn't over .08 BAC, everyone does it, not fair my lawyer couldn't get me off, etc.
I reaaally don't like the dramatized reaction of her living a lie and it being such a struggle to not be able to tell anyone...f that. Physicians and by proxy med students are held to a different standard by our patients (read the "gross" criminals you were locked in with) and society, that's why these things are a big deal to medical boards. You knew better then to drink and drive and you knowingly did it anyway (multiple times by your own admission ) and got caught, seriously went the wrong direction down a one way outside a club and you are surprised about these consequences ?

Quit the dramatic blog BS and move on...your school didn't kick you out, that's as close to a second chance as you are going to get and a lot more of one then others get in your position. Honestly after seeing some pretty terrible results of drunken driving in the trauma Bay I really hope you gain some more insight on this in the future.

Looks like she took it down? I didn't like it. Seemed like the typical reaction of an immature person who gets a DUI- wasn't over .08 BAC, everyone does it, not fair my lawyer couldn't get me off, etc...

I believe they were over .08 BAC (it was 1 of the 3 citations they got), so they were legally intoxicated.

Pity the school didn't kick you out. Drunk driving is a huge deal and you're every bit as much a criminal as the people you were locked up with.

Don't drink and drive, ever. It isn't that hard. Get a damn cab. Why the hell are people so irresponsible?

I believe they were over .08 BAC (it was 1 of the 3 citations they got), so they were legally intoxicated.
I believe they made a typo, based on the tone of it. Either way, I don't think it's right for us to judge this person as they have already been through the criminal justice system. We don't talk a lot about our mistakes as a community, and I think doing what this person did is brave. So it's troublesome to see her delete the blog. You guys should think about things before you have an emotional reaction (not you hallowmann).

If you were an aviator you would need to undergo alcohol abuse/dependence treatment, agree to never have a drink again, have monthly follow up with PCM and Drug/Alcohol Advisor, yearly follow up with a mental health provider, and go to Alcoholic Anonymous three times weekly for a few years.

You're lucky...and I'm glad that you have decided to 1) stop drinking and 2) take down your blog.

I have not read the blog post but I never fully understood this and I feel OPs post could be similar to anyone who acknowledges their mistakes in life...

OP screwed up but luckily nobody was hurt. Admitted it. Was punished for it. Changed. Wants to do good for the world. And so many people in the medical field still want to kick him when he's down.

I don't think that's right and I don't think comments in this regard do any good for anybody.

That's it. I don't wanna debate anything just share my view.

Reactions: 1 users
This is basically how I felt (without reading the blog post). For a profession that preaches empathy and understanding, seems like people are quick to judgement.

Some of the most productive members of our society, learned from pretty bad mistakes. Look at Judge Mathis (now a successful judge) who was denied the ability to practice law for many years (after graduating law school) due to a criminal past.

Mistakes are going to be made. The question is how you respond to them.

I have not read the blog post but I never fully understood this and I feel OPs post could be similar to anyone who acknowledges their mistakes in life...

OP screwed up but luckily nobody was hurt. Admitted it. Was punished for it. Changed. Wants to do good for the world. And so many people in the medical field still want to kick him when he's down.

I don't think that's right and I don't think comments in this regard do any good for anybody.

That's it. I don't wanna debate anything just share my view.