A Dose of Non-trad Motivation (Quotes)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Four pages of motivation and John Belushi wasn't quoted once?

"I owe it all to little chocolate donuts."

"What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"

Bluto: "My advice to you is to start drinking heavily."
Otter: "Better listen to him, Flounder, he's in pre-med."

Members don't see this ad.

Four pages of motivation and John Belushi wasn't quoted once?

"I owe it all to little chocolate donuts."

"What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"

Bluto: "My advice to you is to start drinking heavily."
Otter: "Better listen to him, Flounder, he's in pre-med."

I hope you were joking here? The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.

Members don't see this ad :)
“There comes a time when you ought to start doing what you want. Take a job that you love. You will jump out of bed in the morning. I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don't like because you think it will look good on your resume. Isn't that a little like saving up sex for your old age?”

-Warren Buffett

Last edited:
I've been lurking here for awhile and I've been noticing lately that quite a few posters seem to be in need of a solid dose of motivation. I searched a bit, and while there might be some similar threads floating around SDN I didn't find anything that was quite what I was going for (I apologize if I missed something obvious) so I thought I'd try to start a motivational quotes thread for the non-trads since it seems a lot of us could use one that's easily accessible here.

Here are a few of my faves, then add your own, relate experiences if you feel so inclined.

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

"I get pretty impatient with people who are able-bodied but are somehow paralyzed for other reasons."-Christopher Reeve

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucius.​

"Dreams are illustrations... from the book your soul is writing about you."
~Marsha Norma

&

for perspective

"Dreams will get you nowhere, a good kick in the pants will take you a long way."
~Baltasar Gracian

:)

Ahh thanks I needed this. Feeling beaten down with the app process and a recent shoulder surgery. Suck it up, girl.

Adding my own

"It always seems impossible until it's done."
― Nelson Mandela

Reactions: 1 user
"People say motivation doesn't last; neither does bathing, that's why we recommend it daily"
-Zig Ziglar

"The man that does not shrink from self-sacrifice can never fell to accomplish the object upon which his
his heart is set"
-Earl Nightingale

"Success is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal"
-Earl Nightingale (he's a G)

"If you deliberately plan to be less than you are capable of being then I warn you that you'll be unhappy for
the rest of your lives. You'll be evading your own capacities, your own possibilities."
-Dr. A. Maslow

3 Keys to Succes: By Eric Thomas

1- You got to have heart
2- You have to be able, at any moment, to sacrifice what you are for what you will become.
3- Pain is temporary; it may last for a minute, an hour, a day, or even a year. But eventually, it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit however, it will last forever.

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him."-David Brinkley

If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough.
-Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

"Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult-once we truly understand and accept it-then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters."
-M. Scott Peck

I have wrastled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale
I hancuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail.
Last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick.
I'm so mean, I make medicine sick!
Fast, fast! Last night i cut the light off in my bedroom,
hit the switch, was in the bed before the room was dark!
You, George Foreman, all you chumps are gonna bow when I whup him!
All'a ya!
I know you got him, I know you got him picked, but the man's in trouble.
I'ma show you how great I am!
-Muhammed Ali

One of my all time favorite motivators. It's best to watch him say it:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LxLokrATgIw

Members don't see this ad :)
"I'm awesome"
-me

jk, but really I do sometimes just have to tell myself that to get through stupid stuff like homework for a worthless/pointless class.

I'm quite the opposite. Growing up there wasn't anyone who cared enough to bring me up or tear me down. There was no "You can't accomplish anything" and no "You did a really good job". So I was just under mediocre. Now people tell me all the time I'll make a great doctor someday but thatdoesn't motivate me. I just keep being mediocre. I'm not "crazy" or anything but there's a voice in my head (my own) called doubt and I constantly tell myself I won't make it. I'm not smart enough or something to that nature. Another part of me equally as strong throws up a middle finger and proceeds to prove doubt wrong. I tell myself I got this. For some reason, that's a serious kick in the rear end to keep going. Keeps the fire going every time. Not sure why. Oh well.

-Excuse any typos. Using phone.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge

I love these :love:

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell-

"Ever notice that 'what the hell' is always the right decision?" ~Marilyn Monroe

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. "
Ernest Hemingway

Here's the one I keep in my phone:
IMG_2488.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Just D.O. It.

Lol sorry for being corny, but I had to.

Reactions: 2 users
a few of my personal favs:

"It is not the mountain we conqeour, it is ourselves." Sir Edmond Hillary

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible." Arthur C Clarke

and of course for humor :)
"Are we there yet Papa Smurf?"

So true.

I like the one I use!!!
(obviously :rolleyes:)

"In our endeavor to understand reality we are somewhat like a man trying to understand the mechanism of a closed watch. If he is ingenious he may form some picture of a mechanism which could be responsible for all the things he observes, but he may never be quite sure his picture is the only one which could explain his observations. He will never be able to compare his picture with the real mechanism and he cannot even imagine the possibility or the meaning of such a comparison." analogy from Einstein & Infeld

For all of us old non-trad pre-meds :D

"Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality." Bruce Lee

More often than not ones' position in life can be summed up to work ethic /just my opinion.

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."

-Emerson

I think this one deserves another bump too.

I believe starting this thread was my first ever SDN post actually.

I don't have anything really profound at the moment, but I get a kick out of this one I saw on a tshirt

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I'd be unstoppable!"

Also, if you really want to see something cool and inspiring, go to this thread on nontraditional ages and look at their statuses now. See how many were successful enough to advance beyond "premed"

~NonTraditionals~: Ages

My favorites are:

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

and

"If you're not in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?" CS Lewis

Too many newbies who haven't seen/participated in this thread.

"Aging is the extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been." ~David Bowie

Some of these hit so hard, already have my favorites posted on my wall. This one in particular however is the most heart wrenching.
"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it." -- Anonymous..