A few questions about applications etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychStudent87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am just starting to think about applying. I just wanted to verify a few things with all of you and ask a few questions.

1. When do applications open? I researched this some and it seems that it is Aug? Is that correct?
2. Does it take time once the application is submitted to send to schools?
3. How important is shadowing? I know some professions consider it a requirement while others it is recommended. For example, my uncle is a DO and I know shadowing is required for them. My aunt is a dentist and says that shadowing is just recommended (but really it is more of a requirement for interviews). I am asking because I work full time and go to school and I am also concerned about finding a podiatrist in my area.
4. When do interviews begin for the application cycle?
5. What are the interviews generally like?

I have researched these questions some on this board and other sites, but I felt like I had more direct questions to ask. If you have the time please let me know your opinions! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't gone through an application cycle yet, but I can answer some of these
1. August 1st
2. Yes it takes some time for everything to be sorted through by all the schools. I don't have an exact length of time, but from research I've done it takes a few weeks to start hearing back.
3. You must do shadowing and get a letter from a podiatrist. It's required.
4. A few weeks (at least?) after you send in your application, interview invites start going out
5. This should answer any specific questions you have about each schools interview day/process
http://schools.studentdoctor.net/?reload=1&r=1433112412860

Reactions: 1 user
The application opens the first Wednesday in August, not necessarily the 1st. After your application is submitted, it takes about a month for schools to receive them and start granting interviews. Most interviews start in Early October

Members don't see this ad :)
This cycle it will be August 5th. While touring schools the people said they heard rumors that they may open it up early, but I'd count on the first Wednesday of August.

If you are serious about the field you need to get some shadowing in. Any interviewer will be skeptical of your commitment to pod school if you only have shadowing hours for a DO. Also, you need one to write you a letter of rec.
I would google "podiatrists in [your city]" and start making some calls/emails and ask if they are available for shadowing. Even just 3 or 4 hours at a time make a difference over a couple weeks.