A few questions regarding physical therapy school...........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OutCast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.) What is a good bachelors to pursue for getting in. Would human development be a good degree?

2.) What is the full scope of what physical therapist do.

3.) Is the school harder than med school?

4.)How hard is it to get in?

5.) What's the salary range of this profession

6.) What is the demand.

I should have probably searched the forums for my answers. However, I figured you guys could give me more in depth answers.

Members don't see this ad.

1.) What is a good bachelors to pursue for getting in. Would human development be a good degree?

Human development would be fine, many are biology, psychology, athletic training, really anything. Most people try to pick majors where the prerequisites count toward the major

2.) What is the full scope of what physical therapist do.
PTs treat movement disorders. Some are orthopedic injuries, some are neurological, some PTs treat cardiac injuries. Some PTs work only with children, some only with dizzy people, some only with burns. It is a very broad job description with finite parameters. We do not do injections, order Xrays (military PTs can) or labs, we generally are part of a team.

3.) Is the school harder than med school?
No, PT school is not harder than medical school. For the record I haven't been to medical school but PT can't be harder. The breadth of PT knowledge is so much smaller than MD/DO knowledge. (our depth is much greater than most docs in the musculoskeletal area but for example, we know just enough about other systems to identify "other" meaning things that don't fit our scope of practice, and refer them to their doctor.)[/B]

4.)How hard is it to get in?

It is difficult to get in. Grades, GRE, interview, and volunteer/work experience all factor in to the application. I don't know the current numbers but in the early 90s the ratio of applicants to PT students accepted was about 15-20:1.

5.) What's the salary range of this profession
Starting at or around $20/hour at the low end and $35 at the very high end. More as you gain experience. Way more if you are a successful owner of your own clinic.

6.) What is the demand.

People are getting older, PT is effective at enhancing quality of life for active seniors and even those who are inactive but need to be functional. Demand is good now and in the forseeable future.

I should have probably searched the forums for my answers. However, I figured you guys could give me more in depth answers.

Yes you should. Do your due diligence. Taking shortcuts is a bad idea.

Yes you should. Do your due diligence. Taking shortcuts is a bad idea.

Thank you. Taking shortcuts in life is always a bad idea. You should never do it. However, your answers were very in depth. More in depth than reading the general answers on this forum. Hence, I think making this thread was a good idea.

So, it probably maxes at 40 bucks an hour? Shoot, if I wanted to, I could go get a 2 year degree from nursing school and possibly make that. I presume most people study this field cause they love it!

Members don't see this ad :)
So, it probably maxes at 40 bucks an hour? Shoot, if I wanted to, I could go get a 2 year degree from nursing school and possibly make that. I presume most people study this field cause they love it!

Not a 2 year degree but you could definitely spend less money and time of education through becoming a nurse to make that kind of money.

There are pros and cons to all jobs. In PT, some would consider the salary a con, others would consider it a pro. I view it at as neutral aspect because I can control it to the extent that if I feel I am not making enough money, I can put in the hours to make more. Plus I don't think there are very many jobs, at this time anyway, where making above 40/hour is a garunteed thing. But there are more things to consider than just money.

Thank you. Taking shortcuts in life is always a bad idea. You should never do it. However, your answers were very in depth. More in depth than reading the general answers on this forum. Hence, I think making this thread was a good idea.

max is 40 per hour TO START

If you want to go to nursing, they you will work nights, pick up puke, wipe butts, generally be underappreciated, and stuff like that.

Not a 2 year degree but you could definitely spend less money and time of education through becoming a nurse to make that kind of money.

There are pros and cons to all jobs. In PT, some would consider the salary a con, others would consider it a pro. I view it at as neutral aspect because I can control it to the extent that if I feel I am not making enough money, I can put in the hours to make more. Plus I don't think there are very many jobs, at this time anyway, where making above 40/hour is a garunteed thing. But there are more things to consider than just money.

Pharmacy.....:). However, I shadowed in that job and I didn't like it. I shadowed in Physical Therapy and I enjoyed learning about it.

I don't know if I could handle the schooling for Physical Therapy. I am disabled(Autistic). I am only able to type on these forums because money can virtually buy anything.....

Basically, I was born virtually ******ed.I couldn't even read at age 13! I am 21 now.However, since I have wealthy parents they spent loads of money on doctors,therapist,tutors to make me "normal".

I think you need to be naturally smart to go to Physical Therapy school. You can't get into it and make it through on drive alone. It sucks,but that's how the world works! I have a Pre-Med friend with a below average IQ who made it through a Biology degree. Guess what? He didn't make it in and now he is a Police Officer(Not a bad job though)!

To give you an assessment of my intelligence, it took me the following amount of time to get the following basic concepts:

-RNA transcription(15 minutes)

- Electronegativity(10 minutes)

-mastery of Multi trait Pummet Squares(10 minutes)

-Working with Polymers(5 minutes)

So, you see? You guys all probably learned that stuff in TEN seconds. Those are the type of people that get to go to Physical Therapy school!

max is 40 per hour TO START

If you want to go to nursing, they you will work nights, pick up puke, wipe butts, generally be underappreciated, and stuff like that.

I work in a Hospital as a transporter in Radiology. The nurses all hate their jobs! Believe me....I know

I will have to look into Physical Therapy school real closley and determine if I can Handle it. I know if I could....it would rock! I loved volunteering and the subject is interesting. Trust me, I wouldn't be doing this for the money.

My backup plan is to get a Bachelors to be Radiology Tech. Wouldn't be my first choice....but whatever.

Pharmacy.....:). However, I shadowed in that job and I didn't like it. I shadowed in Physical Therapy and I enjoyed learning about it.

I don't know if I could handle the schooling for Physical Therapy. I am disabled(Autistic). I am only able to type on these forums because money can virtually buy anything.....

Basically, I was born virtually ******ed.I couldn't even read at age 13! I am 21 now.However, since I have wealthy parents they spent loads of money on doctors,therapist,tutors to make me "normal".

I think you need to be naturally smart to go to Physical Therapy school. You can't get into it and make it through on drive alone. It sucks,but that's how the world works! I have a Pre-Med friend with a below average IQ who made it through a Biology degree. Guess what? He didn't make it in and now he is a Police Officer(Not a bad job though)!

To give you an assessment of my intelligence, it took me the following amount of time to get the following basic concepts:

-RNA transcription(15 minutes)

- Electronegativity(10 minutes)

-mastery of Multi trait Pummet Squares(10 minutes)

-Working with Polymers(5 minutes)

So, you see? You guys all probably learned that stuff in TEN seconds. Those are the type of people that get to go to Physical Therapy school!

If you learned all those things in the time you stated then that's a hell of a lot better than me. How well did you do in those biology classes? They won't be exactly representative of the grades you'll be getting in PT school, but they will give you an idea. If you worked your ass off and got C's, PT school may not be the thing for you. I don't know your exact situation but give yourself a chance.

Outcast,

I think you should hold yourself in higher regard. You have nothing to be ashamed of. The list of stuff you learned and the time it took is actually quite impressive. The thing about autism is(forgive me if I don't have this completely right) interpersonal interactions make you uncomfortable. PT is very personal. No personal space, lots of talking and listening, lots of touching, stuff like that. I don't think your smarts are going to limit you. If you interact with people well and you are interested in PT, then pursue it.

Outcast,

I think you should hold yourself in higher regard. You have nothing to be ashamed of. The list of stuff you learned and the time it took is actually quite impressive. The thing about autism is(forgive me if I don't have this completely right) interpersonal interactions make you uncomfortable. PT is very personal. No personal space, lots of talking and listening, lots of touching, stuff like that. I don't think your smarts are going to limit you. If you interact with people well and you are interested in PT, then pursue it.

Thank you for the encouragement. No, personal interactions don't make me uncomfortable. How do I know this? Right now, I am a transporter at a Hospital part time. My job load people into a wheelchair and carry them to different departments. It requires you to interact with the patients.

It's a pretty easy job except for ,sometimes, the patients you get close to die. At first it was really hard on me. However, after time, I just kinda got used to it. Most of them are usually over 85 anyway. So, I have just accepted that it was their time. I don't mean to sound like a jerk. That's how I handle it.

The job is how I kinda decided that I want to work in the medical field. I enjoy the hospital setting and helping patients(even if I'm just transporting them). I need to study a field that isnt physically demanding so that I can do it when Im old.

I kind of am looking at physical therapy because it's one the better careers to work in the medical field

-I don't wanna be a Doctor because they work long hours and hate their lives(I work for them I would know).

-Pharmacist hate their jobs too, but they work less hours so they are a little happier.

-Nursing is a fun job to do. However, they have to lift patients and transport them like I do. Such a task is fine when your like 21(my age now). However, once you get past 35, it might destroy your joints. Anyone with any common sense realizes this. You have to pick a job that doesn't requires a lot of physical activity

-Physician Assistants seem to be looked on as "just assistants"

-I still need to look at Occupational Therapy.

Anyway, besides the fields I mentioned what else is there? Not much....
-

Last edited:
As truthseeker pointed out, I as well meant 40/hour guaranteed to start. I live in one of those areas where that is close to the case and the salary is what it is for a reason. Cost of living is high and the extra money/hour doesn't turn out to be "more stuff" money.

Pharmacy is considered one of those sweet golden jobs. It used to be upper 40's/low 50's. Now it's low 40's/upper 30's. No telling how far the starting salary will drop, I can't see it going much farther but it has definitely leveled out with the rest of the medical field.

Anyway, go after what you want and don't let any problems hold you back. Of course be realistic but you seem to be taking that into consideration, maybe overly so. If you can handle what everyone else can handle, then you are good to go. I wouldn't look too much into those stereotypes if I were you (and I am in the decision process myself) because everyone's disposition is there own. A better method would be to list the pros and cons of each career and decide based on that, of course placing more emphasis on what is important to you.

I typed out a huge example of the disposition stereotype thing but decided to leave it out. Just remember that some people will come off as miserable no matter what they are doing and how satisfied they are. Make a decision based on what you feel will make you happy.