A fork in the road, what are my chances really?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wakatsumi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I think this is my first posting in a long time, so please excuse if this is in the wrong place.

I recently graduated from UT Austin (well, one online class left, will be finished in a week or two, but basically graduated). I've received an offer from a job in Washington D.C. at a consulting firm, and I've also garnered acceptance to the Biomedical Science Policy and Advocacy program at Georgetown Univ (https://sciencepolicy.georgetown.edu). This is only a year program (can be up to 3 years), and it will cost $50K for just tuition.

My GPA when calculated with both undergrad universities I attended, comes out to a 3.47. If we calculate just my science GPA, I'm very certain it is higher, and for many Texas schools, since there is no +/-, it will be higher still (but not too much). I just took my MCAT yesterday, and while I felt good, it's most likely that I'll have to retake it while in D.C.

Now my predicament is this...

The main reason's I applied to the masters program is because of course I have an interest in policy, but also I want to boost my GPA for admissions purposes. Furthermore, if I decide to attend, I won't be taking full course loads, just about 3-4 classes a semester, where I'll finish the program as a part-time student in about two years (just before Fall 2018). Graduating from Georgetown would look very nice on the resume, and open potential career paths.

On the other hand, I could just work at my company, while also working as a scribe, and doing additional shadowing and volunteering, while studying for the MCAT, and getting a really good score on it. This would save me $50,000, and if I still want a masters, I could do a joint MPH, MD program.

So assuming that I make a decent score on the MCAT (at least 93rd percentile), which option would benefit me more? Currently I'm leaning towards just working and grinding out a great score, with other activities supplementing my application (shadowing/volunteering/scribing).

Please let me know any and all thoughts!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Master's grades are not included in the AMCAS undergraduate gpa calculation (you should check to make sure this is true for TDMSAS). Therefore, even all "A's" in a masters has no effect on your gpa.
Texas puts more emphasis on undergrad gpa than most states.
I would would not recommend a re-take if the first MCAT is consistent with success.

Thanks for your reply! So actually, TMDSAS calculated an overall GPA, an overall BCPM GPA, an overall undegrad GPA, an overall undergrad BCPM GPA, an overall non-BCPM GPA, and overall, BCPM, and non-BCPM graduate GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply! So actually, TMDSAS calculated an overall GPA, an overall BCPM GPA, an overall undegrad GPA, an overall undergrad BCPM GPA, an overall non-BCPM GPA, and overall, BCPM, and non-BCPM graduate GPA.
Then I would conclude that the perception of your undergrad gpa will not be affected by Master's degree grades, in the same manner as for AMCAS.

Assuming you go on to receive an MD, your masters from Georgetown will be a minor footnote that even you will often omit. So save your $50K and enjoy your consulting gig.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, well thank you for all the responses, I don't think I will be attending Georgetown after all!