A gap year as a nontraditional. Will this put me even more behind?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reginaphalange

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post to SDN. I have read many different threads, but haven't found any answers specific to my situation, so here it is, and I'm sorry it's so long.
Little background: I started college at a community college, and only went for two quarters. From those two quarters I got a 3.48 GPA. Then I got married, and my husband joined the military. After a couple years of being a military spouse, and working odd jobs, I decided to go back to school. I am currently 24 and a junior at a very small liberal arts school. I have maintained a 4.0 GPA thus far. It wasn't until the beginning of my sophomore year that I realized that medicine is the path for me, so I have been behind in all the EC's that would make me a competitive applicant. This year, I started doing research, I have been involved with volunteering (not medically related) for a little over a year, I'm shadowing an oncologist, and besides maintaining a good GPA, I know that I'm not that competitive of an applicant, and I really want to get into a good med school (duh).

It would be ideal to apply to med school this summer, so that I can matriculate right after undergrad. But in order to do that, I'll need to take the MCAT very soon. My class schedule is insane this semester (organic 2, physics 2, biochem, and animal physiology) and with research, homework, and working 20 hours/wk, I don't think I will be able to really study for the MCAT. In addition, my husband's contract will be up 6 months after I'm done with undergrad, and we are in no financial position to move to an entirely new place and rely solely on his income.

So I am thinking about waiting until the end of senior year to apply to medical school. My thought is that it will give me more time to get in some great EC's, and more time to study for the MCAT. Has anyone been in a similar situation, or have any advice?
Do medical schools look down on taking a year after undergrad?
What will be the best way to spend that extra year? Any unique ideas that will help my chances of getting into med school?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Gap years are usually not frowned upon - you want to present yourself in the best light and if that takes an additional year then go ahead and take it. Study hard for the MCAT so that you score well. Coupled with your GPA, research, shadowing, volunteering - you should be a solid applicant. Make sure you are able to get strong LORs. During the gap year you can take up a research tech job, clinical job, volunteer (medical), travel, work in retail (e.g. picking up people skills for a service career).

I don't think it will affect your application either way. Having the best MCAT you can manage is obviously a critical part of the application so you want to have time to solidly prepare.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of medical school applicants have a gap year. I can see a gap year being a "negative" if you do not use your gap year productively i.e. sit and do nothing. If you use that time to continue to volunteer, seek employment, preparing for the MCAT, or doing other things that will improve your application, it will be time well spent.

No need to stress about taking a gap year. It'll give you extra time to craft a really solid application. And no, no medical school is going to look down on you for taking a year (or even more) off before school. Just plan to use the time wisely as others have said. Boost your ECs and study for the MCAT. If you need to work during this time, that's fine--just make sure you keep up with volunteering, shadowing, something that will reflect positively on your application. Wait to take the MCAT until you're ready (consistently getting good scores on several practice tests).

Thanks you guys for all of your input and advice. It is very reassuring!

No need to stress about taking a gap year. It'll give you extra time to craft a really solid application. And no, no medical school is going to look down on you for taking a year (or even more) off before school. Just plan to use the time wisely as others have said. Boost your ECs and study for the MCAT. If you need to work during this time, that's fine--just make sure you keep up with volunteering, shadowing, something that will reflect positively on your application. Wait to take the MCAT until you're ready (consistently getting good scores on several practice tests).
This would mean taking 2 gap years, theoretically. If you're going to beef up your app and take the MCAT during the gap year, then you have a 1 year application cycle following. I'm not sure if this is what you mean. But if you are using it productively (employment and interviewing at schools) then it isn't a waste. Just remember the app cycle takes a year - ideally submit the application in June/July, secondaries in July/August/September, then interview and make decisions for a full academic year.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't rush this process. You get two chances (for the most part) to apply to med school. Here are some things to consider.

What type of physician do you want to be? Not specialty, but topic. Heavy research? Academic medicine? Rural? Urban? etc. Use this to refine your ECs and your school choices. For instance, a school like Jefferson is very heavy into community medicine and therefore community service. Having 1000+ hours of research and 3 co-authored papers will look good to them, but not as good as 300 hours volunteering at a women's shelter.

Your ECs are also important when it comes to your personal statement and essays. These will define the majority of your experiences in health care and service and will be important in crafting your narrative for Adcoms. For instance, my father's a prostate cancer survivor, so when I decided to pursue research opportunities, I focused on oncology labs. Someone I interviewed with has a husband in the military, so she shadowed an orthopedic surgeon who worked with prosthetics for disabled vets.

I encourage non-trads to take a gap year. Most of us had to balance and sacrifice a lot in pursuit of this. Don't cut corners, work hard, be mindful of your goals and you'll do great.

More behind what? Other students? Other students aren't you and have a different story. Do what is best for you.

If going sooner than later is better for you, do it.

But if applying next year (forcing you to take a year off) gives you a better chance, do that. With the year off, spend time with your husband since you may not have a lot of of time with him being in the military (I'm a vet - I know what it can be like), and with your studying in Med school, you will lose a lot of time again.

His contract ends and you have time off - explore places, volunteer (maybe you and your husband can do this together). Pick up some more hours at work and save money so you have a lesser need for loans later.

Just don't compare your timeline to others - it will just make you feel bad (majority of the time).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app