A General Lack of Kindness in These Threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. You cannot understand or comprehend it.
Seems like you want to be looked up to and seen as a source of help, but then you don't seem to take what that means seriously.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup.Take a look at one the troll-bait threads on race issues I took the bait on. It's laughable how some of the vets here responded, and continued to respond after their biased positions had been dismantled. Not only did these "psychologists" blatantly display a crap ton of implicit biases, they kept proving my point over and over again when their biases and logical fallacies were identified. It was unbelievable. I'll PM a link to you so you can revel in the insanity (trolling) It was the last of those threads that made me realize I was dealing with trolls.

Your post makes me sad because, although I have definitely been a jerk on some threads here (more due to frustration than anything), I was actually trying to have a genuine discussion in that particular thread.

Your post makes me sad because, although I have definitely been a jerk on some threads here (more due to frustration than anything), I was actually trying to have a genuine discussion in that particular thread.

I don't recall it, but I might assume that if one didn't heart affirmative action and swallow the "white privilege" pill without some questions, you were labeled a trolling, racist honky? Am I close?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't recall it, but I might assume that if one didn't heart affirmative action and swallow the "white privilege" pill without some questions, you were labeled a trolling, racist honky? Am I close?
Oh my goodness. This is definitely going in my "How to be Erg" notebook.

Reactions: 1 users
LAPsyGuy. I found the avatar change fairly hilarious. Had me rolling. I commend you on your inanity. I have been sufficiently entertained. You truly are the ultimate OP.

Erg (and all the other main posters, mods, admins...). I thank you for your commitment to the board and for actively bettering the lives and careers of those who frequent it. I am just one example of someone who benefited from the advice and information found here.

Also- I'm gonna let yall finish but..that "troll" post was one of the greatest of all time. I think we made SDN history today.

Erg (and all the other main posters, mods, admins...). I thank you for your commitment to the board and for actively bettering the lives and careers of those who frequent it. I am just one example of someone who benefited from the advice and information found here.

Ok, Ok. You got me. I'll break down too.

I was doing a psych record review (disability appeal) for a plaintiff attorney when i asked a question, I think about two months ago, regarding depression and disability and how to interpret the npsych and SVT literature on cognitive deficits in depression. Your exchange in that thread got me to dig into the lit a bit more. I came away reeducated on subject I was probably a bit too confident on. I still have much of the same position, but it challenged me to think. Which, I think, is a good part about this board and the heated sparing that goes on here. Ii dont know if that's what your lab does, Blueduck, but you def have a good grasp of that subject and the lit.

Although I do not post on here much, I have been reading this forum consistently for about a year now. This has been the same amount of time that I made the choice to go to grad school, got in, and have been becoming acculturated. I came from a different background (Biology) and had little insight into how graduate schools for psychology worked.

I found the posters here more than helpful. In asking of questions, things were not sugar coated. I was not looking for anyone to sugar coat anything for me, and I appreciate that. While I in the end made a different choice than what many of the posters here would choose, I was well informed in my decision and believe it to be the best for me at this moment (Check back in with me in a few years).

I may not be attending the most funded program, but this site showed me what was important: for myself, but also for those that will be looking at my internship and fellowship applications down the line.

So, while I think this thread has definitely served its purpose, I did want to step in and say thanks to those who have posted in the past: giving honest answers and feedback. That is what this kind of place is for, I think.

Last edited:

I was doing a psych record review (disability appeal) for a plaintiff attorney when i asked a question, I think about two months ago, regarding depression and disability and how to interpret the npsych and SVT literature on cognitive deficits in depression. Your exchange in that thread got me to dig into the lit a bit more. I came away reeducated on subject I was probably a bit too confident on. I still have much of the same position, but it challenged me to think. Which, I think, is a good part about this board and the heated sparing that goes on here. Ii dont know if that's what your lab does, Blueduck, but you def have a good grasp of that subject and the lit.

This has been alluded to (if not directly stated) by previous posters, but this is the kind of thing that can happen when you have the professional ability to engage in dialog with someone from a different perspective, and come out focused on the content of the discourse rather than its tone. I too remember that exchange and recall it as being enlightening; there are necessary differences between the work I do and am familiar with, basic cognitive mechanisms in depression, and the practical needs of clinicians during neuropsychological evaluation.

On a bigger scale, academia is filled with people who have built whole careers on research programs specific to certain theories of mind, cognition, emotion, whatever. If pure kindness was a requirement for dialog to occur, nothing of importance would ever be challenged. Many of the great modern day and historic academic thinkers are/were not considered kind, and it is not because they just all happen to be mean people. It is just the nature of the beast.

Sometimes, to change minds, you need to break hearts.

Can we just agree to be nicer to one another AND... to suck it up a little bit?

Be

braking down = story of gratitude?

Be

braking down = story of gratitude?

SDN may need to have separate sections for PsyD and PhD to reduce this ongoing negative publicity towards psychologists. Heaven forbid what the general public would think if they happened to lurk into what people or professional psychologist think about our profession. I frequent other forums and there seems to be much less of negative post and more professional posting and when sarcasm is posted people do not tend to take it personal.

I have been posting about one year and seriously why would someone be posting on a board like this for developing psychologist for 8 or 9 years. Don't you have a busy life with your jobs and families and you don't need support from fellow professional at this point in your career. How do you justify posting all day long when you are at work? Many of the negative posters seem to be University Professors or work for the VA. Are you not busy seeing clients or teaching classes during the daytime hours?

Do the moderators ever lock up threads? It seems that this thread needs closed or locked and we need to get back to improving our profession and helping those we serve.

I feel the need to just throw my 2 cents out there because this thread is pretty insane (albeit interesting to read). All the claims of trolling and avatar changes and name calling is quite odd, when we should be working together to advocate for our extremely important profession! Although my field is slightly different than the majority of people on here (school psych), I'm thankful to a lot of the "regular posters" for being upfront about things like match-rates, program funding, and cohort sizes. These are things that most psych doctorate applicants do not think about when applying, it's usually more about convenience and location for some people. I find myself in a more middle ground position in that I don't think everyone needs to go to a fully funded Ph.D program to become a psychologist, but I think that psych applicants should be "skeptical consumers" because grad school is a huge decision that should not be taken lightly.

SDN may need to have separate sections for PsyD and PhD to reduce this ongoing negative publicity towards psychologists. Heaven forbid what the general public would think if they happened to lurk into what people or professional psychologist think about our profession. I frequent other forums and there seems to be much less of negative post and more professional posting and when sarcasm is posted people do not tend to take it personal.

I have been posting about one year and seriously why would someone be posting on a board like this for developing psychologist for 8 or 9 years. Don't you have a busy life with your jobs and families and you don't need support from fellow professional at this point in your career. How do you justify posting all day long when you are at work? Many of the negative posters seem to be University Professors or work for the VA. Are you not busy seeing clients or teaching classes during the daytime hours?

Do the moderators ever lock up threads? It seems that this thread needs closed or locked and we need to get back to improving our profession and helping those we serve.
I think separating the degrees wouldn't be helpful. And I think it can be helpful to have mid-career professionals provide advice, but yes, the amount they post does smack of the college senior who hangs out with high schoolers during the summer.

I think separating the degrees wouldn't be helpful. And I think it can be helpful to have mid-career professionals provide advice, but yes, the amount they post does smack of the college senior who hangs out with high schoolers during the summer.

This is a silly point you keep trying to level, and you continue to use the tone you supposedly decry in others. Most of us consider mentorship or instruction into the field to be part of our jobs. I regularly meet with undergrads to talk about these same things (with the same content and in the same tone). I do the same on facebook fairly often. This board is an efficient way to do it more broadly.

It takes all of five minutes to review a thread and make a comment. I typically post while I eat a sandwich. I'm having soup right now.

This is a silly point you keep trying to level, and you continue to use the tone you supposedly decry in others. Most of us consider mentorship or instruction into the field to be part of our jobs. I regularly meet with undergrads to talk about these same things (with the same content and in the same tone). I do the same on facebook fairly often. This board is an efficient way to do it more broadly.

It takes all of five minutes to review a thread and make a comment. I typically post while I eat a sandwich. I'm having soup right now.
I've not leveled this point before, but I am the third person to do so. You're right. I'm an imperfect person. I actually started out being pretty ernest, but I quickly learned it didn't go very far. But many of you state the tone is fine, so there really shouldn't be any complaint (other than my own hypocrisy).I appreciate your efforts to help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.