A general public health science degree vs degree with focus areas of public health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ameykk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, thank you to all contributing their advise and inputs to this forum. I have done some extensive research being a future public health school aspirant by attending the school fairs and reading through the websites of schools of public health. One thing I recently noticed that there have been new establishments of MPH and PhD program named public health science due to the small size of their departments and specifically not being affiliated with their own school/college of public health, such as say UC-Irvine's Public health science program or WU-St.Louis' Brown school of social work -public health program or UW-Madison's as compared to well known Universities who have their own school/colleges of public health (BU, Tulane, Emory and many more CEPH schools). I would appreciate inputs from the seniors here who could put some light on it that how this would be different? Is someone doing MPH from a smaller program without actually affiliating with the big College/school of public health of X university under disadvantage for being lack of network and may be resources? Or does it all depend onto the quality of research work done during MPH/PhD matter the most?
Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.
P.S. If there's similar discussion around this forum discussed before with useful info can be shared here as well, if any.

Members don't see this ad.