A horse girl: the dream too fancy to pursue.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Horse whisperer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am writing here with tears... because I really have no idea where I should go now. Having been tossing and turning in bed all night over the past two weeks, I am now completely worn out. It seems that I am just naive to dream about a vet school.

I am a Chinese girl who was born to be crazy about animals. Growing up in a poor town, I spent my childhood wildly with 20 homing pigeons that I trained by myself and considered them as my best friends. When I was 11, I moved to a big city next to Beijing and studied my ass off. At the age of 18 I finally received the admission letter from a top 3 university in mainland China and spent the next two years searching for my passion with unspeakable pain.

I've been so determined to do something with animal in the future, especially horses. It's hard to say why I am fascinated by horses to this great extent even though I have had almost no exposure to any horse. It's like horses are already in me, they've been part of my soul… The light bulb moment come to me about two weeks ago when I was talking with an American friend about my horse passion. He proposed vet thing to me, and almost immediately I was a hundred percent sure that what he was talking about is exactly what I had been searching for over the past years. I was so excited about it that almost lost sleep in the following days. It feels just unbelievably great to touch dream for the first time in my life.

I am clear about the risks and hardships that I am going to encounter. As a sociology major(many Chinese university CAN NOT choose their major in university but to accept one), I will have to start from zero for the science prerequisites. Living in China, there is no opportunity to gain any experience. Being at a top university, I am expected to be "excellent", yet vet has been pretty much looked down upon, most people think I am just strange. Growing up in a broken family, I am independent enough but have to be able to support myself, both financially and emotionally. As an international student, the tuition is much higher and there is no student loan available and very limited scholarship.

I thought all these obstacles would not be the reason for me to give up. However, there is only one thing that depressed me: family. After knowing my decision, my mom worried a lot about me and cried. She believes that my plan is going to expose me to great misery., and also it is impossible for her to afford my tuition with a very low-paid job in the local government. She would have to work literally a hundred years to earn the money that is required for the DVM cost. I know I should not be that selfish by chasing my dream without taking family, at least her, into account. I am willing to do whatever I can to realize my dream, but I can't make my family suffer.

In the past two years, I made every effort to improve my English. Now, being able to understand all the resources and information in English, a new world opens up in front of me, where so many people are passionate about horses, just like me, and finally I don't feel alone any more. I read and watch about horses extensively and am working on some English-Chinese translations to introduce more horse ideas to Chinese people. I have thought about doing the equine internship, apprenticeship, volunteer, etc, as long as I can be around horses. However, all things turn complicated when it comes to a non-citizen applicant, and probably won't be good in the long run. I think the best way for me is to secure a vet job after going through a DVM program. This should be the way that I live my dream and in the mean time earn my living.

Several months ago, I visited some Chinese friends who I knew through Internet and are working in equine industry in China. Honestly I see no future for the Chinese equine industry, at least for the following ten years. Recently I've been talking to some American professors and friends who know me very well and encourage me to keep going. A ten-year time line has been drawn to visualize how to achieve my dream step by step. It looked all exciting until yesterday mom called and almost begged me not to do so. It seems to be the first time that my family try so hard to step in when I make my decision, but they did make me calm down and be more reasonable and realistic.

My university signed a double degree program agreement with Colorado State University two years ago, which enables me to complete the junior and senior year there at CSU and receive degrees in sociology from both my home university and CSU. Since I am already in my junior year, I contacted CSU office in China and was told I can start from my senior year but have to take the fifth year there at CSU to obtain enough credits. This is so exciting to me because I can get opportunities to take the pre-vet courses and gain some experience only when I am physically there.

Sorry for my long post, I am in real struggle at the moment...All the stuff come to me together, and I thought it might help to clarify my thoughts by writing them down...And I would appreciate it very much if any of you can give me some suggestions. Under no circumstance will I give up.

You guys have no idea how much I envy you….Good luck to all of you with this VET journey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So, it's pretty rare to have the costs of veterinary school covered by a parent, even here in the US. So you would not be alone in needing to take out loans in order to afford it. Of course I don't know how any of this would work in the end - would you attend veterinary school in China, or would you endeavor to attend a school in Europe or the US? Is there a way to get loans as an international student? I feel like there must be, but I have no idea how it works.

It's very strange (to me, at least) that you have a major assigned to you. And it stinks that it was a fairly non-science major as well. I'm curious how often girls get the big science and engineering majors... and I'd hate to think I could be assigned as a mathematics major when that would be very unpleasant for me. Hmm. So someone would be placed into veterinary medicine based on... something? I know there are veterinarians in China, even if it's different than in the US. How do they get started? Are they all male?

So attending CSU will allow you to... finish your degree, at least. Do you have any freedom to take any science classes while you are attending, or only those required for your sociology degree? Colorado State does have a great vet school, so there are some opportunities there... but I'm not sure what you would be allowed to pursue.

I am writing here with tears... because I really have no idea where I should go now. Having been tossing and turning in bed all night over the past two weeks, I am now completely worn out. It seems that I am just naive to dream about a vet school.

I am a Chinese girl who was born to be crazy about animals. Growing up in a poor town, I spent my childhood wildly with 20 homing pigeons that I trained by myself and considered them as my best friends. When I was 11, I moved to a big city next to Beijing and studied my ass off. At the age of 18 I finally received the admission letter from a top 3 university in mainland China and spent the next two years searching for my passion with unspeakable pain.

I've been so determined to do something with animal in the future, especially horses. It's hard to say why I am fascinated by horses to this great extent even though I have had almost no exposure to any horse. It's like horses are already in me, they've been part of my soul… The light bulb moment come to me about two weeks ago when I was talking with an American friend about my horse passion. He proposed vet thing to me, and almost immediately I was a hundred percent sure that what he was talking about is exactly what I had been searching for over the past years. I was so excited about it that almost lost sleep in the following days. It feels just unbelievably great to touch dream for the first time in my life.

I am clear about the risks and hardships that I am going to encounter. As a sociology major(many Chinese university CAN NOT choose their major in university but to accept one), I will have to start from zero for the science prerequisites. Living in China, there is no opportunity to gain any experience. Being at a top university, I am expected to be "excellent", yet vet has been pretty much looked down upon, most people think I am just strange. Growing up in a broken family, I am independent enough but have to be able to support myself, both financially and emotionally. As an international student, the tuition is much higher and there is no student loan available and very limited scholarship.

I thought all these obstacles would not be the reason for me to give up. However, there is only one thing that depressed me: family. After knowing my decision, my mom worried a lot about me and cried. She believes that my plan is going to expose me to great misery., and also it is impossible for her to afford my tuition with a very low-paid job in the local government. She would have to work literally a hundred years to earn the money that is required for the DVM cost. I know I should not be that selfish by chasing my dream without taking family, at least her, into account. I am willing to do whatever I can to realize my dream, but I can't make my family suffer.

In the past two years, I made every effort to improve my English. Now, being able to understand all the resources and information in English, a new world opens up in front of me, where so many people are passionate about horses, just like me, and finally I don't feel alone any more. I read and watch about horses extensively and am working on some English-Chinese translations to introduce more horse ideas to Chinese people. I have thought about doing the equine internship, apprenticeship, volunteer, etc, as long as I can be around horses. However, all things turn complicated when it comes to a non-citizen applicant, and probably won't be good in the long run. I think the best way for me is to secure a vet job after going through a DVM program. This should be the way that I live my dream and in the mean time earn my living.

Several months ago, I visited some Chinese friends who I knew through Internet and are working in equine industry in China. Honestly I see no future for the Chinese equine industry, at least for the following ten years. Recently I've been talking to some American professors and friends who know me very well and encourage me to keep going. A ten-year time line has been drawn to visualize how to achieve my dream step by step. It looked all exciting until yesterday mom called and almost begged me not to do so. It seems to be the first time that my family try so hard to step in when I make my decision, but they did make me calm down and be more reasonable and realistic.

My university signed a double degree program agreement with Colorado State University two years ago, which enables me to complete the junior and senior year there at CSU and receive degrees in sociology from both my home university and CSU. Since I am already in my junior year, I contacted CSU office in China and was told I can start from my senior year but have to take the fifth year there at CSU to obtain enough credits. This is so exciting to me because I can get opportunities to take the pre-vet courses and gain some experience only when I am physically there.

Sorry for my long post, I am in real struggle at the moment...All the stuff come to me together, and I thought it might help to clarify my thoughts by writing them down...And I would appreciate it very much if any of you can give me some suggestions. Under no circumstance will I give up.

You guys have no idea how much I envy you….Good luck to all of you with this VET journey!

First off, considering you have only been working on your english for two years, you type well. Good for you!

It sounds like the CSU program might be a good idea...you would have to take the prerequisites along with finishing your sociology degree but that should be doable. The nice thing about your school's joint program with CSU is that there's a vet school there, so you will likely have more opportunities/exposure.

How do people in China usually become veterinarians? Do you know any you can discuss with? Any resources such as that would be very helpful to you.

As a fellow horse girl, I'm rooting for you! Welcome to SDN:)

Members don't see this ad :)
So, it's pretty rare to have the costs of veterinary school covered by a parent, even here in the US. So you would not be alone in needing to take out loans in order to afford it. Of course I don't know how any of this would work in the end - would you attend veterinary school in China, or would you endeavor to attend a school in Europe or the US? Is there a way to get loans as an international student? I feel like there must be, but I have no idea how it works.

It's very strange (to me, at least) that you have a major assigned to you. And it stinks that it was a fairly non-science major as well. I'm curious how often girls get the big science and engineering majors... and I'd hate to think I could be assigned as a mathematics major when that would be very unpleasant for me. Hmm. So someone would be placed into veterinary medicine based on... something? I know there are veterinarians in China, even if it's different than in the US. How do they get started? Are they all male?

So attending CSU will allow you to... finish your degree, at least. Do you have any freedom to take any science classes while you are attending, or only those required for your sociology degree? Colorado State does have a great vet school, so there are some opportunities there... but I'm not sure what you would be allowed to pursue.

Thank you ! I would not be considering a vet school in China. Unlike the US, vet as a major and a job is strange to 95% people(I guess), and people think only those who are incapable of academic work would think of being a vet, and yes, the outlook for vet here is just dim. It could be better in big cities. My dream is attending a vet school in the US. and get a job there. I am especially interested in horses.

Again vet is a very strange concept here, as far as I know, there are only about 30 universities have vet related program, but there is more than 2,000 universities across the country! About the major, you actually get to choose when you apply, but due to the admission system, it is highly possible to the one you make as first choice, then it goes to the second choice, third choice, etc...but usually, especially in top universities, if you lose the first choice for some reason(very often because there is an applicant got a higher score than you but there is only one seat ), you directly lose the right to choice, because the second, third...choice has already taken by someone else. Then you have to accept the one the university assigns to you to be able to get admitted. I think most Chinese vets started with zoology, veterinary medicine, or related majors, and these major are fairly easy to get in because few people want to take it and the development of these majors are still in the very beginning stage.

The CSU program is a great one, but it's just too expensive for my family to afford. I just had a long conversation with mom again and realized I am really naive. I will keep trying to see if there are other ways to do DVM.

I wish I had more advice but, unfortunately, your situation is very foreign to all of us (no pun intended).

I'll tag @Rwwilliams because I think they are international, but I do not remember their total circumstances. Maybe they have a bit more insight than the rest of us.

Can you contact individual schools in the US and ask about attending as an international student? There have to be loans available for you. It would be so bizarre if they expected international students to be able to pay out pocket - why would you even be going to school if you already have that much money, right? I did a quick web search but nothing I saw was terribly helpful. You probably need to talk to the admissions people directly to get tuition questions answered.

I wish I had more advice but, unfortunately, your situation is very foreign to all of us (no pun intended).

I'll tag @Rwwilliams because I think they are international, but I do not remember their total circumstances. Maybe they have a bit more insight than the rest of us.

Thank you again! I really appreciate your kindness.

Can you contact individual schools in the US and ask about attending as an international student? There have to be loans available for you. It would be so bizarre if they expected international students to be able to pay out pocket - why would you even be going to school if you already have that much money, right? I did a quick web search but nothing I saw was terribly helpful. You probably need to talk to the admissions people directly to get tuition questions answered.
Thank you. I am also trying to get more financial aid information. And yes I definitely should talk to the admission people directly.

First off, considering you have only been working on your english for two years, you type well. Good for you!

It sounds like the CSU program might be a good idea...you would have to take the prerequisites along with finishing your sociology degree but that should be doable. The nice thing about your school's joint program with CSU is that there's a vet school there, so you will likely have more opportunities/exposure.

How do people in China usually become veterinarians? Do you know any you can discuss with? Any resources such as that would be very helpful to you.

As a fellow horse girl, I'm rooting for you! Welcome to SDN:)
Hi, thank you! For vet school in China, you can get more impression in my reply to #Twelvetigers. Nice to meet you all here at SDN !

I got US citizenship the year before starting vet school so I'm not an international student. Wish I could be of more help! I would look into not just US schools but Australian and European schools as well that are accredited in the country you wish to practice in. They may have differing loan requirements based on the country (and price tags ;) )
I was under the impression that the horse industry in China was pretty well-off -- or at least that's what I was led to believe when I spent time in HK a few years ago. I obviously don't know much about their equine practitioners, regardless.

Forgive me for asking, but have you spoken to an equine veterinarian (or any veterinarian) in your area? I'm certainly not familiar with your area and the current veterinary outlook, but it's strange to me that you can understand the equine industry so well without any apparent connections or experience. Perhaps it isn't as bad as you're thinking! Similarly, to pursue veterinary medicine with zero experience is...tough to say the least. I think even being able to speak with an equine veterinarian to get an idea of the field is critical at this early stage.

Reactions: 1 users
I think a better question is where do you intend to try and practice veterinary medicine? If there is no market for equine work in China, would you stay there or try to immigrate to the United States to find work?