A likely reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've posted earlier, but just to be thorough . . . I currently have 2 extremely low MCAT scores (22N and 23Q), so I'm quite confident that I'll need to reapply next year. I'm still pursuing the applications I've submitted, but I'm a realist . . . I probably won't get accepted anywhere. For those of you going through the reapplication process what do I need to be doing right now to improve my application for next year? I will obviously study for the next 6 months for the MCAT, and I'll use this time to get more volunteer experience in (I have community service but I need more clinical). Is there anything else I can do to ensure my application is strong next year, and try to shadow the fact that I will have taken the MCAT 3 times, with 2 particularly low scores (hopefully not a 3rd!!)? Thanks for your help. Take care. Oh! And I should mention that it's very inspiring to read how many of you have gotten accepted after reapplying. It definitely gives people like me hope! :)

Members don't see this ad.

would you ever want to try DO just in case? i applied to DO and thought that some of the schools were better than some MD ones....just a thought. but i guess you should always have some faith and try to get a better score next time. your ECs and GPA sounds good all you need is the 3rd piece...

uclabruin2003 said:
would you ever want to try DO just in case? i applied to DO and thought that some of the schools were better than some MD ones....just a thought. but i guess you should always have some faith and try to get a better score next time. your ECs and GPA sounds good all you need is the 3rd piece...

For this year, I'm pretty much done with applications. I wouldn't say I've given up, but I'm not going to do anything out of desperation either (ie apply to a bunch of schools I didn't originally plan on). However, in light of the reality that I may get a 3rd low MCAT score, I do plan on applying to DO schools next year. There's a DO that works in my lab and she agreed to let me shadow her, so I'll probably use her as a reference too. If I get in this year, that would great, but I don't want to pursue it any more than I have, just because it is quite unrealistic with my MCAT score. But I have plans for next year (yes, including taking that damned test again!), and I believe my application will be that much stronger. I have faith that things will work out for the best, one way or the other. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The first time I took the MCAT i scored ok but I needed to make up for a low GPA so here is a profile of my two tests.

April 2004-
Used several MCAT books and study materials of ebay, you can get AMCAS tests + kaplan material cheap. The day before I played 18 holes of golf and then raquetball for another hour so I was very worn out. I took the test on campus here at Kansas State. It was crowded an not a very good experience.

Got my results back in Mid June and decided Early July to retake.

August
Traveled to Topeka KS which is 60 miles away and stayed with my brother the night before. I was much more relaxed taking it in a neutral location, I was not worried about out-performing my classmates. Also this test location was the same size but the number of testers was about 1/4 of my first exam which made me a little more relaxed. I used MCAT Audio Osmosis with Jordan and John while I drove to work and also used Dr Fergusin's MCAT video review, well worth the money if you got it. Also purchased on ebay.
I improved 7 points overall. I know I did not learn that much more or know that much more. For me it was a the knowing the stuff and then having the right attitude during the test.

And of course, never underestimate the power of prayer. (before, during and after)

Anyway, best of luck this year and and next if needed.

Datko said:
The first time I took the MCAT i scored ok but I needed to make up for a low GPA so here is a profile of my two tests.

April 2004-
Used several MCAT books and study materials of ebay, you can get AMCAS tests + kaplan material cheap. The day before I played 18 holes of golf and then raquetball for another hour so I was very worn out. I took the test on campus here at Kansas State. It was crowded an not a very good experience.

Got my results back in Mid June and decided Early July to retake.

August
Traveled to Topeka KS which is 60 miles away and stayed with my brother the night before. I was much more relaxed taking it in a neutral location, I was not worried about out-performing my classmates. Also this test location was the same size but the number of testers was about 1/4 of my first exam which made me a little more relaxed. I used MCAT Audio Osmosis with Jordan and John while I drove to work and also used Dr Fergusin's MCAT video review, well worth the money if you got it. Also purchased on ebay.
I improved 7 points overall. I know I did not learn that much more or know that much more. For me it was a the knowing the stuff and then having the right attitude during the test.

And of course, never underestimate the power of prayer. (before, during and after)

Anyway, best of luck this year and and next if needed.
Thanks for all that! I appreciate it. Yeah, I need to get over the "relearning" hump, so I can focus on strategy and just taking the test with confidence. I know if I had had one more month before taking the August exam, it would have made a world of difference. But I had to reteach myself physics and chemistry (didn't even get to orgo). Not to mention I wasted a ton of time memorizing all those hormones and physiology (which I saw virtually NO questions about on the real MCAT). Anyway, since I've already put in that effort, I just have refresh, go over orgo again, and then just focus on the test itself. I'm actually kind of looking forward to acing this test! :laugh: Sick huh.

You're going to KU right? I actually got an out of state secondary from them, which I completed early November. I can only guess that they want to look at me further because of my unique/disadvantaged background. I know it's not my MCAT score that's impressing them! :D Anyway, they're actually my only real hope of med school this year, so I've still got my fingers crossed for them. Here's hopin'!

I know that you said that you have done all that you were willing to do for this cycle. But maybe just maybe you also want to apply to just a few DO programs, this way you will get into medical school this year, I mean there are no guarantees, but DO schools will appreciate your different background and will not concentrate that much on sheer numbers and the MCAT. Give it a try, you maybe glad you did when this cycle is over and when you realize that you can now burn all your mcat books.

Khenon I would not give up hope for your dreams...

A good test day can swing 3-4 point in your favor just totally randomly, especially in the score range where you are.. if you can get your mcat up to a 26 or better Id say you would have a much more reasonable chance of getting in next year, especially if you play your cards right and apply to the right kind of schools, even if it means moving to a state like lousiana or ohio that is easier relatively to get in.

That said tho, I was unwilling to take it a 3rd time even if i didnt get in, so know your limit before you drive yourself nuts. If you feel like you are at this point just keep in mind there exists a DO school that will take you pretty much instantly, probably treat you better than allopathic schools do, and give you the exact same job in the end. ANd you can have your choice of schools, its no MD but believe me there is no difference knowledge for knowledge, they should just turn all the DO schools into allopathic ones.

After it's all said and done, you should definitely contact admissions offices to discuss your application. Sometimes they can give you advice regarding your weaknesses... A friend of mine did this, and a counselor told him to take certain classes to raise his science GPA. The jury is still out on how helpful that advice was. In your case, there are programs (mainly for disadvantaged students) with low MCATs to build there science knowledge for med school. For example, I know that Ohio State has a MedPath program, which is a 5yr medical school. In any case, speaking to a dean or admissions counselor will at least give you a realistic outlook on things, and they might give you useful advice.

I just want to add that knowing your own weaknesses is obvious, but the point is to convey an interest in improvement to the schools.

Thanks everyone. All your advice has been really valuable. I have heard of these 5 year programs . . . that is interesting. I'll have to look into it. That said, I've actually changed my mind on this year's application. I think I mentioned that I've gotten a recent opportunity to shadow a DO, and I thought I'd just use that experience for next year's application. Well, after investigating it further (due to posts from the likes of robo77 and others), I've realized I still have plenty of time to apply this year. I've contacted this DO about writing me a letter, and she's super nice, so I doubt she'll refuse, but I've become invigorated about this whole process now that I'm considering this new path. Basically if this DO says she'll write me a letter, I'm definitaly going to apply to some DO schools this year. I still plan on studying for the MCAT for April, just in case . . . I don't want to assume I'll get in. But after my little investigation it sure seems super realistic to think I have a chance at getting into a DO school this year. I'm really excited about this whole thing now.

Anyway, thanks everyone. I'm keeping everything that you all said in my mind until my acceptance! :D

Khenon said:
Hello everyone. I've posted earlier, but just to be thorough . . . I currently have 2 extremely low MCAT scores (22N and 23Q), so I'm quite confident that I'll need to reapply next year. I'm still pursuing the applications I've submitted, but I'm a realist . . . I probably won't get accepted anywhere. For those of you going through the reapplication process what do I need to be doing right now to improve my application for next year? I will obviously study for the next 6 months for the MCAT, and I'll use this time to get more volunteer experience in (I have community service but I need more clinical). Is there anything else I can do to ensure my application is strong next year, and try to shadow the fact that I will have taken the MCAT 3 times, with 2 particularly low scores (hopefully not a 3rd!!)? Thanks for your help. Take care. Oh! And I should mention that it's very inspiring to read how many of you have gotten accepted after reapplying. It definitely gives people like me hope! :)

Hey Khenon!

I'm also a reapplicant and I definately know how you feel regarding the MCAT. The first time I wrote it, I got a 5 VR :oops: but rest assured with a lot of hard work your scores can be greatly improved!!!!! Anyhow feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Khenon said:

Good luck to you Khenon! You sound like a very interesting person, and I really think you will be a great doctor. I am a reapplicant myself, and I did get into DO schools this time around. I'm still waiting to hear from allopathic schools. I decided to get Ph.D before my second application although I'm not sure it even helped me (it is hard since I'm foreign), and I hope to have the degree completed by August.