MD & DO A Low GPA, high MCAT, non-trad veteran with no idea what to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C.S. Peirce

Abductin'
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed for application season

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have no idea, but I think you can add some "better" schools to the list (e.g., more schools in the Case-Western range). This is only my opinion.

Why is your cGPA lower than your sGPA? That strikes me as odd at the moment.

Edited to add: Heed the advice of faculty members that post on this site (especially Goro, Catalystik, LizzyM, gyngyn, among others).

Edited again to add: Your GPA isn't that bad. Relax. The lack of research hurts at the research heavy schools.

Best of luck to you.

Hello everyone, here's the dirt:

3.47 GPA (3.34 uGrad GPA, 4.0 in the 40ish hours of postbac undergrad coursework-finishing pre-reqs and taking upper level science classes)
3.71 BCPM GPA
39 MCAT (13,13,13), 1 attempt
MA in Bioethics (4.0 GPA, FWIW)
Completing a second MA in philosophy while I finish prerequisite coursework. (4.0 here too, so far)

Attended a service academy uGrad, served 6 years as an officer (left in 2013 as an O-3, didn't serve in a medical-related capacity).
Currently work as an instructor at my university teaching introductory logic
Tutor O-Chem
150 hours of clinical volunteer work, and climbing
80 hours volunteering for state public health
Working on doing some shadowing, hoping to have some soon
Haven't done anything I'd be willing to call 'research' in a scientific setting. My current work in philosophy relates to science, but I'm not often seen in a lab coat.

A preliminary MD school list:

Case-Western
Creighton
Eastern Virgina
Georgetown
Loyola
Med College of Wisconsin
Michigan State
NYMC
OHSU
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Tufts
University of Colorado (in state)
University of Illinois-Chicago
University of Wisconsin (former resident of the state/'home' state)

Quite willing to consider DO schools as well, although those which require letters of recommendation from fellow DO's could be a problem.

So here are the concerns: I have no idea whether or not I could submit a competitive application. My academic performance as an undergrad definitely left room for improvement, and while I have turned my performance around my GPA is still pretty low. I do have a high MCAT, but I've read that high scores only get you so far. Furthermore, I don't really have a classic pre-med background, and my academic pursuits are probably a bit strange for an applicant to a medical school. I have my reasons for applying, and I think that I could explain them to an admissions committee, but I worry that the low GPA will leave them unwilling to cut me much slack. Also, I'm a bit long in the tooth for a matriculating med student (I'd be 30 upon matriculation if I were to be accepted into the class of 2019).

So should I consider applying for MD schools? If so, does anybody have any suggestions or comments on the feasibility of the preliminary list?

I'll likely apply to several DO schools, as I feel like I'm competitive for many of them, but does anybody have institutions they think would be particularly welcoming to a philosophically-inclined former military officer?

Should I consider applying to SMPs? I think this would cost me a great deal of money and time for the amount of benefit I could gain, but the low GPA/high MCAT pattern does fit my current condition...

Many kind thanks to anybody kind enough to read and respond.
I doubt an SMP will be needed. Your long-ago undergrad GPA performance will be trumped by your strong postbac work, high BCPM GPA, high MCAT score, and active-military veteran status. Assuming supportive LORs, no legal issues, and personable interview skills, I feel you're likely to get multiple MD acceptances.

East Tennessee has veteran preference. Wayne considers the last 20-30 hours of postbac coursework strongly. Be aware of UIC's very-high OOS tuition if you are footing the bill. Kansas seems to like veterans, too.

Your reasons for applying to med school belong in your Primary Statement.

When describing your military service on the application, be sure to break it down into its component parts, like Leadership, Teaching (training),Employment - Military, Honors and Awards, Other, etc, so you have more space to highlight traits that translate well into characteristics desirable in medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Adcoms tend to have soft spots for veterans. I think you're quite competitive, especially for low-medium teir MD schools, and ALL DO schools

My suggested list. For state schools, stick to your own and those in neighboring states.

Creighton
Eastern Virgina
Georgetown
Loyola
Med College of Wisconsin
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
U NV (maybe)
Tufts
U Utah (Maybe)
Wake Forest
Drexel
Penn State
Jefferson
Temple
Albany
BU
All new MD schools

That won't be an issue. A significant number of acceptees are non-trads.

Furthermore, I don't really have a classic pre-med background, and my academic pursuits are probably a bit strange for an applicant to a medical school.

Age is irrelevant. Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s.

I have my reasons for applying, and I think that I could explain them to an admissions committee, but I worry that the low GPA will leave them unwilling to cut me much slack. Also, I'm a bit long in the tooth for a matriculating med student (I'd be 30 upon matriculation if I were to be accepted into the class of 2019).

YES! And thank you for your service to our country.

So should I consider applying for MD schools? If so, does anybody have any suggestions or comments on the feasibility of the preliminary list?

ALL of them.

I'll likely apply to several DO schools, as I feel like I'm competitive for many of them, but does anybody have institutions they think would be particularly welcoming to a philosophically-inclined former military officer?

You don't need an SMP.

Should I consider applying to SMPs? I think this would cost me a great deal of money and time for the amount of benefit I could gain, but the low GPA/high MCAT pattern does fit my current condition...

Aaaand no one else mentions his incredible MCAT score? Dude, you're fine no worries here.

Reactions: 1 user
Why is your cGPA lower than your sGPA? That strikes me as odd at the moment.

I wasn't a hard science major as an undergrad, so most of the credits contributing to my sGPA were taken post-bac. Those that weren't (mathematics, physics) I did reasonably well in as an undergrad (A to B+ range). Most of the classes that sunk my GPA were in engineering and languages (Arabic is a nightmare language), and regardless of your major service academies require a lot of strange classes. It's their money, so I guess it's fair that they get to set your schedule.

Thanks so much, Goro and Catalystik! I'll take the school advice to heart; thanks especially for the heads up on UIC. You faculty who find time to post on SDN deserve some kind of internet-canonization...

Double-check, but I think the University of Arizona gives all veterans IS preference. I think you'd have a very good shot there.

Good luck!

-Bill

3.47 GPA (3.34 uGrad GPA, 4.0 in the 40ish hours of postbac undergrad coursework-finishing pre-reqs and taking upper level science classes)
3.71 BCPM GPA
Completing a second MA in philosophy while I finish prerequisite coursework. (4.0 here too, so far)

Attended a service academy uGrad, served 6 years as an officer (left in 2013 as an O-3, didn't serve in a medical-related capacity).
Tutor O-Chem
Haven't done anything I'd be willing to call 'research' in a scientific setting. My current work in philosophy relates to science, but I'm not often seen in a lab coat.

Case-Western
Creighton
Eastern Virgina
Georgetown
Loyola
Med College of Wisconsin
Michigan State
NYMC
OHSU
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Tufts

Quite willing to consider DO schools as well, although those which require letters of recommendation from fellow DO's could be a problem.

So here are the concerns: I have no idea whether or not I could submit a competitive application. My academic performance as an undergrad definitely left room for improvement, and while I have turned my performance around my GPA is still pretty low. I do have a high MCAT, but I've read that high scores only get you so far. Furthermore, I don't really have a classic pre-med background, and my academic pursuits are probably a bit strange for an applicant to a medical school. I have my reasons for applying, and I think that I could explain them to an admissions committee, but I worry that the low GPA will leave them unwilling to cut me much slack. Also, I'm a bit long in the tooth for a matriculating med student (I'd be 30 upon matriculation if I were to be accepted into the class of 2019).

Seems like you have a massive upward trend? Your MCAT is stellar and I honestly don't think DO schools are really worth it to apply (unless you're fine, but seems unnecessary with your stats -- your MCAT makes up for your weak cGPA and your sGPA is good). Your veteran status increases your LizzyM score as well (I think 5? @LizzyM correct me if this is off). Basically you're a strong MD applicant. Good luck!

We had a member here some 7-8 years ago who I also knew in real life was an Academy grad, with a GPA 0.5 points higher than yours, but a MCAT 6 points lower so pretty much a wash. he was still serving at the time of interview and he did exceptionally well (6 interviews, 6 offers including 5 at top tier schools). Schools will take into account that you did your undergrad at a military academy and will put more of a focus on your post-bac. Your MCAT puts to rest any question regarding whether you know your stuff. You have leadership that can't be beat (hence I usually say add 5 points to your LizzyM score of gpa(10)+MCAT) even if you didn't do anything medical in the service.

I think you have a good shot at any school in the US except those that have strong instate preferences such as U Washington.

Aaaand no one else mentions his incredible MCAT score? Dude, you're fine no worries here.

What makes you so certain I'm a he? ;) Thank you for the compliment and the assurance, though...I suspect scores higher than 35-36 are more a matter of luck on test day than skill or prep, but I'm happy things broke my way.

Schools will take into account that you did your undergrad at a military academy and will put more of a focus on your post-bac. Your MCAT puts to rest any question regarding whether you know your stuff. You have leadership that can't be beat (hence I usually say add 5 points to your LizzyM score of gpa(10)+MCAT) even if you didn't do anything medical in the service.

Thank you for the encouraging advice, LizzyM! I'll keep all that in mind.

You should have no problem getting an interview at Colorado and Wisconsin barring any red flags in your app.

3.71 BCPM GPA

Tutor O-Chem

Case-Western
Creighton
Eastern Virgina
Georgetown
Loyola
Med College of Wisconsin
Michigan State
NYMC
OHSU
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Tufts

Sir/Mam, I would like to congratualate you in advance for your acceptance :)