A med school thinks I'm a medical minority applicant??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desertrat12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
**I found an old thread about this from 2009 but am reposting barring the possibility that something has changed between then and now**

Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out what might be happening here. I received an e-mail from a medical school this morning that opened with the following:

"We received notification of your intention to apply to medical school based upon your decision to participate in the AAMC Medical Minority Applicant Registry"

Puzzled I did some searching and found that this the Med-Mar is something you can select when registering for the MCAT. I must have mistakenly selected this option when registering. I am American/white/right handed/middle class/yada yada yada and about as non minority as it gets, I don't want medical schools thinking I'm trying to pass off as a minority. I e-mail Med-Mar in hopes to get my named removed.

Anyone been through this or have ideas on what to do? With application season in full swing I definitely don't want any unnecessary hiccups!

Members don't see this ad.

I got a similar email this morning and don't know what to do either!

It seems like that's really all you could do. You could consider emailing each and every school you applied to, put that seems like a bit of overkill right off the bat. I bet they'll be able to take you off the list. Completely unrelated, love your username and avatar... Repping St. George ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely unrelated, love your username and avatar... Repping St. George ;)

Bingo...I've wondered if anyone would recognize it. Love Desert Rat

Reactions: 1 user
**I found an old thread about this from 2009 but am reposting barring the possibility that something has changed between then and now**

Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out what might be happening here. I received an e-mail from a medical school this morning that opened with the following:

"We received notification of your intention to apply to medical school based upon your decision to participate in the AAMC Medical Minority Applicant Registry"

Puzzled I did some searching and found that this the Med-Mar is something you can select when registering for the MCAT. I must have mistakenly selected this option when registering. I am American/white/right handed/middle class/yada yada yada and about as non minority as it gets, I don't want medical schools thinking I'm trying to pass off as a minority. I e-mail Med-Mar in hopes to get my named removed.

Anyone been through this or have ideas on what to do? With application season in full swing I definitely don't want any unnecessary hiccups!
Just email them about it and clear it up, shouldn't be a big deal.

Some desperate users on SDN would kill to be in your shoes right now (see the many "how can I lie about being URM" threads) :D

Good luck this cycle!