a mom's dilemma...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamiash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I wonder what are your thoughts on telling the interviewers the fact you are a mom. Would that be beneficial or harmful for your admission? I don't mean to tell in a straightforward way but as an example in a response to an interview question. For example, I honestly think being a mom and balancing everything in my life is the hardest I've ever done if I am asked. But I have also heard some examples of discrimination on women with babies when it comes to admission. (although in the examples I heard, the interviewer directly asked " are you a mom" instead of the interviewee telling a mom story..)

What would you do if it were you?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

By law, I don't think they can ask you directly if you are a Mom. (They CAN ask you what experance you have had with children. -- Sneaky!!!)
If you elect to vollenteer the information about motherhood, that is a wholoe differnt issue.

Now -- What would I do...
I would put it all out there for all to see. I figure if they don't like the real me, just the way I am, then maybe I need to be moving on to some place else.

in interviews they may ask you about it just as in conversation people ask but being a mom, there is nothing to hide but you must make it sure for them that it won't interfere in your studies and have taken steps for it.... :)

Frankly, I would not talk about it specifically, just mention it, when appropriate. Most of foreign dentists are older and have families. If you say, that you have a baby, they might think, that you would not be able to study. Do not forget it is illegal to ask about age or family details
Concentrate on other achievements