A&P at a community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

expressions

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my sophomore year, and next year I realized that I would have to take three science courses at once (orgo, physics, and A&P) as well as gear up for the MCAT. So I decided that I need to take a summer course to lessen the load(and possibly save my gpa?). I'm kinda cautious of taking orgo and physics in the summer because it will be condensed, and since a&p is not a requirement for med school, I figure it would be okay to take it a cc because there is no offerings at a reg. university here. My question is would med schools still frown upon this even though it is not required?

Members don't see this ad.

They don't really care and should know that the rigor is biased across the magnitudes of different uni's and CC's in comparison.

They will know the course will not be as rigorous as one you would encounter at a four year institution. Why take the course at all? It won't gain you any favor with admissions committees, so unless you're doing it to explore your interests I'd suggest dedicating your time to volunteering, clinical experience, or another part of your application that could use improvement.
This isn't really true, and it depends on the med school. If it's just one course, it's honestly not a big deal, and I doubt it will come up in the application process.

I agree, it is no big deal. Since anatomy and physiology isn't a pre-requisite for admission, it won't help or hurt - that was the thrust of my original post.

Ya, i wasted my time going to a&p 1 and 2 since my advisor in my CC told me that i should take it for admission to med school :/
I wish i would've started my chem or bio courses sooner since there's a lot of those requirements.

Lesson learned: Don't ever go to CC advisors.