A personal inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmAspirations

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an inquiry towards my eligibility and the path forward to pursuing an education and career in pharmacy:

I received a BS in Biochemical Engineering 3 years ago and have worked at two pharmaceutical development companies in that span. I have had a long term interest in becoming a pharmacist going back to high school but ended up on this alternative path. Back then I was much more informed on all the required prerequisites, and I am just beginning to "get my feet wet" once again as this interest has recently begun to regrow within myself.

I would like to know what options I have in gaining entry to a school with my current degree and what other requirements I need in addition to this. I'm hoping there are other individuals who have taken a similar, somewhat non-traditional path who can give me some insight on how much work I would have ahead of myself and how to take steps towards following my "dream" career and making myself a viable candidate for pharmacy school. To be honest, any insight is welcome. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have an inquiry towards my eligibility and the path forward to pursuing an education and career in pharmacy:

I received a BS in Biochemical Engineering 3 years ago and have worked at two pharmaceutical development companies in that span. I have had a long term interest in becoming a pharmacist going back to high school but ended up on this alternative path. Back then I was much more informed on all the required prerequisites, and I am just beginning to "get my feet wet" once again as this interest has recently begun to regrow within myself.

I would like to know what options I have in gaining entry to a school with my current degree and what other requirements I need in addition to this. I'm hoping there are other individuals who have taken a similar, somewhat non-traditional path who can give me some insight on how much work I would have ahead of myself and how to take steps towards following my "dream" career and making myself a viable candidate for pharmacy school. To be honest, any insight is welcome. Thank you in advance!
Every school is different. You can probably do 4 years at any of them with your background and get a PharmD. If you have an opportunity to do that at low cost (employer funded, scholarship, state school, whatever), go for it. The job market in 2019 won't be worth getting six figures in debt for.

Reactions: 1 user
It would be helpful if you don't mind elaborating more on why you think being a pharmacist is your endgame career. Then we can pick them apart and provide our frank opinion. Afterwards you can make your decision if pharmacy is worth pursuing.

Pharmacy schools usually require that you have credit on specific courses, mine asked for a full year on biology, physics, chemistry and organic chemistry. Plus you need to take the PCAT and have a solid composite score. You'll also need work experience in a pharmacy (retail/hospital) to make you a stronger candidate for pharm school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll also need work experience in a pharmacy (retail/hospital) to make you a stronger candidate for pharm school.

Work experience is pretty optional, may be necessary for an elite school, but many candidates lack this, and considering he is entering pharmacy as a 2nd career, schools aren't going to really expect him to quit his day job to work as a tech to see if he likes it.

Work experience is pretty optional, may be necessary for an elite school, but many candidates lack this, and considering he is entering pharmacy as a 2nd career, schools aren't going to really expect him to quit his day job to work as a tech to see if he likes it.

True, but it would be prudent for him to at least shadow a pharmacist for a day and see what he's getting himself into. He already has a good job; he shouldn't throw it away unless he's really sure that going back to school is the best option.

OP, tell us a little more about your background so that we can tailor our advice. Why do you want to be a pharmacist? Do you have any experience working in a pharmacy? Why did you go into biochemical engineering instead of pharmacy? What do you want to do after you graduate?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I apologize for the delay. I like that you replied in a form that you are willing to give me a reality check if my aspirations are unrealistic or off-base because this is a very important decision. I certainly don't want to get in over my head by making a mistake or jump into any irrational decisions.

I'll tackle all your replies up to this point as they came in:
zelman: I currently am debt free (hooray!), so am I still looking at $100,000+ of oncoming debt? Are there any suggested forms or places I should look for financial aid if that is the case? I definitely will look to see if there are any scholarships specifically geared towards a situation similar to mine. My goal is to get accepted and placed into an in-state pharmacy school, but I certainly won't limit myself to staying in-state. I'm also curious what you mean about the 2019 job market; will it be a "bear" market for pharmacists at that juncture? Are there more pharmacists expected to enter the market than the amount expected to leave/retire?

Reirrac: I'm interested in pharmacy for a few reasons. First and foremost, I very much enjoy being a part of the medical field. I have a keen interest in biochemistry (and chemistry/biology in general for that matter) and am fascinated at how the body operates by whatever mechanisms necessary to function properly. As I implied earlier, I currently work in a field that utilizes this information; however, I have found that my personality may be less suited to the engineering side of things as I am more of a people person. I like interacting with a variety of people on a daily basis and sharing my knowledge and helping others gain insight they may not have previously had. I'm also interested in having a more broad spectrum of knowledge of the variety of pharmaceuticals and what their indications and mechanisms are, as I only work with a few at most currently. In addition, to be completely honest, a fair compensation for the skills and attributes I bring forth is also a factor, and I believe a career as a pharmacist would allow for this. I'm not looking to become super rich but, if I'm going to put in the time and effort, I want to be able to pay for the debt I've accrued from my work and then live a comfortable life where I am able to pursue the endeavors I enjoy outside of work. I also feel there is prestige that goes with being a pharmacist and I would enjoy that appreciation. These are the bases that I suppose lay the foundation for my interest in pursuing this type of career but I hope I can elaborate further once we've continued our discussion and you've picked it apart a bit (or a lot).

I have taken a lot of what I know to be the prerequisite coursework for pharmacy school including the ones you've listed. I am sure I'm rusty on a lot of the finer details though but, luckily, I kept most of my textbooks and hope that I could relearn any forgotten information more easily the second time around with help from a tutor perhaps, if necessary. It might even be kind of fun (then again what am I saying!) This would be necessary for me to do well on the PCAT like you mentioned. Can you give me some insight on the PCAT and what I should expect along with some hints/tips for success?

BidingMyTime: Since you replied to the final point made by Reirrac, I figured I would address that here. I will let it be known that I'm not particularly satisfied in my current role, thus, why I'm looking at other options. I thought about possibly getting on as a tech at a local pharmacy that I have friends/spouses of friends working at eventually, especially if the feedback I get persuades me to really go after it. This is all very circumstantial, but it is also nice knowing that this may not be a necessity. We should discuss the pros and cons of both pursuing work experience vs. not further though.

Dalteparin: I shadowed a variety of health occupations during the last year and a half of high school and into my initial semester of college to get an initial, small sample towards understanding the various options available. Pharmacy, then medicine, then optometry even were the main fields I was interested in during this time. It wasn't until later that I switched over to biochemical engineering when it became a newer program offered. I was very solid in the sciences and had to catch up on math but my reasoning was that it would allow me more flexibility than a pre-med degree (biology degree, in essence) if I didn't want to pursue a quaternary-type of school after undergrad. Fast forward a few years and I'm open to pursuing those options to better suit myself.

Again thank you so much for the responses and for any further insight you or anybody else might venture to offer! Big decisions have to be made (or not made) and I appreciate the help in opening my eyes so that I can see clearly what's best for me.

I'm also curious what you mean about the 2019 job market; will it be a "bear" market for pharmacists at that juncture? Are there more pharmacists expected to enter the market than the amount expected to leave/retire?

The job market for pharmacists already is a bear market in many regions, and with new schools opening up and the number of new graduates on the rise, it's only expected to get worse. That subject has been discussed in detail on this forum, so I encourage you to do a search for "job market saturation." You can also find the answers to your questions about prereqs and the PCAT by searching this forum.

I thought about possibly getting on as a tech at a local pharmacy that I have friends/spouses of friends working at eventually, especially if the feedback I get persuades me to really go after it.

I think this is a good idea, even if you only work there part-time while keeping your current job. Working in a retail pharmacy (or any other job where you deal with the public) is very different from the cubicle life you're probably accustomed to. Yes, you'll be sharing your knowledge and helping people gain insight, but you're also going to be screamed at, cursed at, and told "all you do is take pills from one bottle and put them in another bottle!" Oh yeah, and while you're sharing knowledge, expect to get interrupted by somebody who wants to know where the Cheetos are.

Dalteparin: I shadowed a variety of health occupations during the last year and a half of high school and into my initial semester of college to get an initial, small sample towards understanding the various options available. Pharmacy, then medicine, then optometry even were the main fields I was interested in during this time. It wasn't until later that I switched over to biochemical engineering when it became a newer program offered. I was very solid in the sciences and had to catch up on math but my reasoning was that it would allow me more flexibility than a pre-med degree (biology degree, in essence) if I didn't want to pursue a quaternary-type of school after undergrad. Fast forward a few years and I'm open to pursuing those options to better suit myself.

Sounds like you had a solid reason for doing biomedical engineering. You've probably done all the academic work you need to do, but I'll be honest: if I were on the adcom, I'd be somewhat hesitant to admit you without more real world experience.

As mentioned above, your motives should serve you well, but you should seriously consider at least working part time at a pharmacy. It's not worth taking the risk of cutting corners when your future hinges on the decisions of the adcoms. The work experience will only benefit you if you're serious about pharm school. Regarding the PCAT, I did pretty well after studying Orgoman's PCAT destroyer. Pricy, but well worth the investment.

That being said, I'm sure you heard about the challenging job market. There are jobs to be found, if you're willing to be flexible and willing to relocate. That will be challenging if you have a significant other and kids, and if you don't feel comfortable living away from family and away from the big cities. Be prepared to fight hard to secure your first job as a pharmacist.

The job market for pharmacists already is a bear market in many regions, and with new schools opening up and the number of new graduates on the rise, it's only expected to get worse. That subject has been discussed in detail on this forum, so I encourage you to do a search for "job market saturation." You can also find the answers to your questions about prereqs and the PCAT by searching this forum.

OP, this is certainly worth considering. Currently, pharmacy jobs in any major city (and a few states, ie Pennsylvania) are a "bear" market (this has always been true to some extent, but its definitely worsened over the past few years.) If you want to live in a major city or north/east state, going into pharmacy is a BAD idea. Pharmacy jobs outside of those areas are much more at an equilibrium, but there is the possibility that could rapidly change, as pharmacy schools are graduating a far greater number of students than ever before, and baby boomers are not retiring in near the numbers that had been predicted.