A positive thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jupiterianvibe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The forums have a lot of negativity. How about some positive pathology stories.

Members don't see this ad.

The forums have a lot of negativity. How about some positive pathology stories.

~Im thinking of buying a Maserati.

~Maybe getting a place on the beach next year assuming Fee for Service isn't blown up by the next President. Right now Ive narrowed it down to: Carlsbad, Malibu, Santa Barbara and Pebble Beach. Carlsbad being the fav this month.

~Also my private practice schedule is giving me time to hire a personal trainer who has promised I will be able to bench 305 by this fall. We will see about that. Im not sure he can pull that off.

~My work colleagues continue to be entertained by my sharp wit, amusing tales and vast knowledge of firearms.

~Multiple recent sales ladies have begun flirting with me, which is never a bad thing. Mainly the leading "where I can get a drink around here after we are done?" or "You need to come out to corporate and listen to our science staff, of course I can travel with you." Nothing huge but it's nice to know you haven't been totally abandoned on the healthcare loser train for life.

~Still struggling with the random person who I literally tell them what Pathology is all about in detail and they still ask me the same question the following week! Im pondering whether to just say Im an Orthopedic Surgeon from now on.

~Some of my friends are convinced I found my wife working as a Maxim model (eg Elsa Hosk), which is definitely not a bad thing.

all positive I think.

Your welcome.

Reactions: 2 users

~Maybe getting a place on the beach next year assuming Fee for Service isn't blown up by the next President. Right now Ive narrowed it down to: Carlsbad, Malibu, Santa Barbara and Pebble Beach. Carlsbad being the fav this month.

~Also my private practice schedule is giving me time to hire a personal trainer who has promised I will be able to bench 305 by this fall. We will see about that. Im not sure he can pull that off.

~My work colleagues continue to be entertained by my sharp wit, amusing tales and vast knowledge of firearms.

~Multiple recent sales ladies have begun flirting with me, which is never a bad thing. Mainly the leading "where I can get a drink around here after we are done?" or "You need to come out to corporate and listen to our science staff, of course I can travel with you." Nothing huge but it's nice to know you haven't been totally abandoned on the healthcare loser train for life.

~Still struggling with the random person who I literally tell them what Pathology is all about in detail and they still ask me the same question the following week! Im pondering whether to just say Im an Orthopedic Surgeon from now on.

~Some of my friends are convinced I found my wife working as a Maxim model (eg Elsa Hosk), which is definitely not a bad thing.

all positive I think.

Your welcome.

Ladoc, for past 10 years+ your posts never fail to make my workload slightly less burdensome.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Someone on the Derm boards asked if going through a path residency is an ok way to getting into Derm.

If they're successful, they'll use up a path residency spot, but not a path job spot.

Huzzah.

Someone on the Derm boards asked if going through a path residency is an ok way to getting into Derm.

If they're successful, they'll use up a path residency spot, but not a path job spot.

Huzzah.

That's cute, but I think I will take my chances of unemployment against being a professional zit popper.

Let's be civil.
It is true that derm has a far better job market than path. It is also true that to obtain a derm residency spot you have to work exceptionally hard and play the right angles to even get a spot in their weakest residency program. Pathology doesn't have that problem; we can be more relaxed in that regard.

Every field has its plusses and minuses.

Let's discuss positive things about pathology and keep discourse civil.

Doing both clinical medicine and path, I can tell you that working on your own time (within reason) instead of being at the mercy of having to get to it the instant the patient walks through the door is huge.

Can't really say to a pt "hold up, going to get a cup of coffee, be back in 15"

Slides don't care when you get your coffee....well, other than frozens I guess.

It's the main reason path wins out a bit imo.

Doing both clinical medicine and path, I can tell you that working on your own time (within reason) instead of being at the mercy of having to get to it the instant the patient walks through the door is huge.

Can't really say to a pt "hold up, going to get a cup of coffee, be back in 15"

Slides don't care when you get your coffee....well, other than frozens I guess.

It's the main reason path wins out a bit imo.

This. Plus no charting for 50 patient visits/day, no turf wars with primary care, no nurse practioners joining the "dermcare team" and no routine encounters with personality disorders (other than surgeons of course). Not doing an intern year was the cherry on top.

Working in an exciting field that offers a variety of challenges.

Outstanding colleagues from hard working, intelligent graduate students to fellow chairs

Collaborating with others to improve healthcare and not just make more money

Just got a 99% score on teaching immunology to first year medical students - great to be validated for working hard

Flipped my first classroom, in a pulmonary lecture, which went well

Strong support staff with a sense of mission

All our pathology residents have jobs or fellowships

Just submitted a grant on brain injury actually improving host defenses against pathogens

Daniel Remick, M.D.
Chair, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Centre

I'm pretty happy with my job as well. I love teaching, I have some interesting projects going on, I love GI pathology, and I see interesting cases on a daily basis that allow me to keep learning.

I worked a lot of crappy jobs to put myself through college and medical school, so I really can't complain too much.

Did one fellowship (last year) and landed a nice job with smart, capable, and congenial colleagues. I think it is definitely a better than average job, and I feel lucky to have it. I have been placed in charge of process improvement within a narrow area of the laboratory, which is a challenge that I am actually enjoying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Working in an exciting field that offers a variety of challenges.

Outstanding colleagues from hard working, intelligent graduate students to fellow chairs

Collaborating with others to improve healthcare and not just make more money

Just got a 99% score on teaching immunology to first year medical students - great to be validated for working hard

Flipped my first classroom, in a pulmonary lecture, which went well

Strong support staff with a sense of mission

All our pathology residents have jobs or fellowships

Just submitted a grant on brain injury actually improving host defenses against pathogens

Daniel Remick, M.D.
Chair, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Centre

I should also note that we just matched 3 great residents into our pathology training program, in addition to accepting a transfer resident into the second year of our program. With these great trainees the future of pathology is bright.

I am an MS-3 who has decided to become a pathologist. So far, the more I read about the specialty, the more it excites me. I am very much interested in both the how and why of disease. Additionally, during my clerkships, I have found diagnosis to be far more interesting and intellectually stimulating than treatment/management. The fact that pathology allows a physician to dedicate virtually 100% of professional time to the diagnostic process is perhaps it's greatest draw for me. Everything else (no intern year, fantastic research opportunities, flexible scheduling, great hours, wonderful people...) is icing on the cake for me right now. Now, if this Pathology Forum is any indication, I will soon become jaded and will encourage future medical students to avoid the specialty. Until then, however, I will focus on the long list of positives in pathology.

5 years before I have to take any more damn tests.
I make more $ now than I even imagined I would, and more than I was told I could expect, and am grateful I can provide for my family.
I can afford a sweet ride that I look fwd to driving every single day.
I work maybe 45 hrs a week, no weekends, rare call, no grossing.
Path has been the best decision of my life but I acknowledge I'm in the extreme minority with how fortunate I am to have found this job.

Reactions: 1 users

all positive I think.

Your welcome.

I vote Malibu or Santa Barbara, the restaurants are so terrible in Carlsbad, unless you are big Claim Jumper fan....

I vote Malibu or Santa Barbara, the restaurants are so terrible in Carlsbad, unless you are big Claim Ju
5 years before I have to take any more damn tests.
I make more $ now than I even imagined I would, and more than I was told I could expect, and am grateful I can provide for my family.
I can afford a sweet ride that I look fwd to driving every single day.
I work maybe 45 hrs a week, no weekends, rare call, no grossing.
Path has been the best decision of my life but I acknowledge I'm in the extreme minority with how fortunate I am to have found this job.
Love the name....

I'm in the same boat, although my job is very stressful and I travel a lot.

I most of like or love our jobs. I am 1000% happier than doing clinical medicine.