A question about pain research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lacktherof

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year (almost 4th year) med student interested in a career in academic pain management, where I could dedicate part of my time to research, clinic, and resident/fellow education. I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice you all may have.

First, I am having a difficult time choosing between PM&R and Anesthesiology. I've got electives set up in both within the next few months, but wanted to know which would be better suited to my goals, or if it doesn't matter either way.

Second, what are the big name programs in pain research? I would really like to be productive during residency, but will probably need good mentorship. I'm not limited geographically, but ideally would like to stay in the greater Philadelphia area.

Really appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Try and set up rotation at the cleveland clinic. Dr Nagy Mekhail and the Egyptian mafioso are there. Very good and very academic oriented. Dr Stanton hicks is still there. Dr Borkowski used to do pain with dr Karen steckner and dr Theresa dress, my favorite, and dr Sogal.
The secretary is [email protected]. Email her.
They used to have so many patients even at 5 pm, they used to call it the killing fields. I was a resident there 15 years ago the acute pain service beeper goes of all the time. When on call you will come in and do thoracic epidural so to your hearts content and then get a little break and then the calls begin about epidural not working or breakthrough pain.
2 nurses used to help during the day time, one was Pam and the other it forgot his name. But from 5 pm till next morning you and the fellow will be in charge. And the attendings are available for phone consultation. Very very hard rotation. But being a resident there I was very happy, everything is very very meticulously organized, the teachers and surgeons are world class. The patients are famous people. You do whatever they instruct you to do