A question about prereqs expiring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi, I've been lurking in this forum for quite awhile and have finally decided to come out of hiding to ask a question.
I am very seriously considering applying to vet school and I am starting a class in the fall to try to knock out the few pre-req classes I'm lacking. My dilemma is that I have noticed that the program I'd like to attend (which is the in-state program) states that all math and science courses must have been completed within eight years of the fall semester in which application is made. Since I started my classes in Fall of 2007, this could be a huge issue. I was wondering if this is a hard and fast rule? I tried searching through the forums and though it is mentioned several times, I haven't seen anybody actually discussing it. So, if it's out there and I missed it (which is very likely lol) just point me in the right direction. :) I'm not sure if this makes any difference, but I graduated with a PharmD in 2013 and the last chemistry class I took would be med chem in the spring of 2011. I currently work as a hospital pharmacist. I also need to add that I would be looking at applying in about 2 years due to some constraints. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best bet really is to contact your school directly. Policies vary by school. I'm a non-traditional student with a science undergrad that is quite a few years old. I've contacted each school individually because each one seems to have different variations of the policy. For example, some schools require me to take all pre-reqs within their time requirements, even non-science classes. Other schools will waive the non-science timeline since I have an undergraduate degree and work experience. One school told me that they never consider coursework "expired." Another school told me to take the non-science pre-reqs that I never took as an undergrad but not to worry about math (they'll take my original coursework). Something else to consider is that there may be case-by-case considerations at your target school; so even if one applicant is advised to complete coursework, you may have mitigating factors that result in a waiver.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users