A question for current Ob/gyns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

je355804

Mew Nember
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So I am currently a MS3 from a Caribbean school (US citizen) towards the end of my 3rd year. I recently started my surgery rotation and I'm loving it! I really enjoy the procedural side of medicine, I find it very rewarding.

The only rotation I have yet to partake in is Ob. I have been asking around on the forums and discussing my upcoming match with several of my friends from US schools about possible career choices that I'll soon have to make. While I truly love surgery, a lot of people are making it seem as though it's simply too difficult to land a spot as an offshore student. My step 1 was 226, so it was above average but not by a ton. I'll soon be taking step 2, and I know my preparation is going to put me in a much better position on this step, hoping for 240+ minimum. My friends think I'll have an easier time of matching into Ob/gyn which the numbers on NMRP stats seem to support.

I don't want to give up on surgery, but I also don't want to not consider a field which has many intriguing aspects before I've even done the rotation!

Anyways, a few of my friends were saying they really enjoyed their Ob rotations and found the surgical aspects of the field very interesting. I was hoping to find out from you all if you enjoyed surgery also during your rotations, and on a typical day do you perform procedures etc? Also would there be major differences between community/university programs in terms of the procedural experience, or would this just vary program to program. I've been reading more into the field and it seems very interesting and certainly worth considering.

I appreciate any further insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Ignore what your friends are saying. If you like Surgery, stick to it, strengthen your applications, and go for it. I know numerous IMG's who've done well with the match, residency, and life after.

OB/GYN is an exciting field, but you should definitely do the rotation before settling on it. Procedures can be a major component of the field (especially with fellowship training).

Best of luck!

Ignore what your friends are saying. If you like Surgery, stick to it, strengthen your applications, and go for it. I know numerous IMG's who've done well with the match, residency, and life after.

OB/GYN is an exciting field, but you should definitely do the rotation before settling on it. Procedures can be a major component of the field (especially with fellowship training).

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice! I can definitely say I'm not giving up on surgery, but I also want to keep in mind a field that has many exciting aspects like Ob! I've been doing a lot of reading about the field and it seems like people enjoy the wide range of practice an Ob/gyn gets to partake in... This is of particular interest to me.