A question on Pharm Tech staffing man hours allowed for Chain Pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BF7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In Chain Drug stores averaging 1100-1400 rxs per week, how many tech hours are you typically allotted?

Members don't see this ad.

Usually they divide no. of rxs per week by 10 or 11 to get hrs you are allotted to use.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you MCAT14. I was curious as to how they come up with the number. We are growing in terms of number of RSs filled and I want to find a sweet spot for auxillary help man hours...

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to ask the person who would be mad if you used too many hours.

Thank you MCAT14. I was curious as to how they come up with the number. We are growing in terms of number of RSs filled and I want to find a sweet spot for auxillary help man hours...

You have to have a budget and an hours guideline. Along with that you need to have a formula to use when your performance deviates from the budget. What should you do when you are +- 100 scripts compared to budget. You would need more if you go over and less if you go under.

You need to ask the person who would be mad if you used too many hours.

EVERYONE WOULD BE as irresponsibly spending money on 1) Inventory and 2) Staffing is a surefire way to go OUT OF BUSINESS.

Now go clock in and complain about how you're being micromanaged and how patient's don't respect you instead of offering next to nothing to this discussion while taking a veiled swipe at ownership........

EVERYONE WOULD BE as irresponsibly spending money on 1) Inventory and 2) Staffing is a surefire way to go OUT OF BUSINESS.

Now go clock in and complain about how you're being micromanaged and how patient's don't respect you instead of offering next to nothing to this discussion while taking a veiled swipe at ownership........
Whoa! Chill out. If I don't know who employs someone, I can't tell them the name/title of the correct resource. As a general rule of thumb, what I said is 100% correct. The person who will tell them they've used too many hours is the one who know how many hours is too many.

Flu shots also help to increase tech budget besides just rx count. Also the clinical stuff like MTM adds extra hours to the budget

Usually they divide no. of rxs per week by 10 or 11 to get hrs you are allotted to use.

this, plus sometimes ask for a cashier or clerk in flu season once a week, if you're friends with store manager haha

There is one store that does 900/week and has a tech budget of 115 hours. Not sure why they have so many tech hours.

Also there are some stores in really poor areas that have a high script count but front store sales are weak. Then there are stores in rich areas that have high front store sales but lower script counts.