A quick Q about magnetism.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EECStoMed

Persistence > Intel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took a TPR exam and I got this question wrong with is passage based but nonetheless doesn't need the passage to answer.

Basically it gives F = q(v X B), the eqn for the force on a charged particle in a unified magnetic field that's moving at constant velocity. The question goes as follows:

If a proton and an alpha particle were given the same initial velocity in a uniform magnetic field, which would experience the greater force due to the field?

A. The proton, because it has smaller charge
B. The proton, because it has smaller mass
C. The alpha particle, because it has greater mass
D. The alpha particle, because it has greater charge

What would you guys pick?

Members don't see this ad.

I would pick option D. The mass doesnt matter cuz mass isnt in the equation. Also, since q is charge, and alpha particle has +2 (while the proton has only +1), the alpha particle will get a greater force because 2 is larger than 1.

So I just took a TPR exam and I got this question wrong with is passage based but nonetheless doesn't need the passage to answer.

Basically it gives F = q(v X B), the eqn for the force on a charged particle in a unified magnetic field that's moving at constant velocity. The question goes as follows:

If a proton and an alpha particle were given the same initial velocity in a uniform magnetic field, which would experience the greater force due to the field?

A. The proton, because it has smaller charge
B. The proton, because it has smaller mass
C. The alpha particle, because it has greater mass
D. The alpha particle, because it has greater charge

i will say the choice d, because an alpha particle is a doubly charged helium ion. the force experienced f=bqvsintheta but remember same initial velocity and hence only look at charge. the equation is independent of the mass directly even though mass affects velocity of the particle. we don't take it into account if they are given same initial velocity.