A Required Age for Pharmacy Shadowing?

kcrmyz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a upcoming Senior for next year and I live within a CVS, Walgreens, and Rite-Aid in less then a mile.

Is there a certain age to shadow?

Members don't see this ad.

They prefer for you to be 18 I think, but I'm sure if you ask around someone will take you if you're younger than that. Do you have any friends or relatives or relative's friends who're a Pharmacist and might consider allowing you to shadow them?

Walgreens is the best for pharmacy shadowing. I'm a junior and I'm only 16 but they were very eager to have me come in and shadow. It's their corporate policy that all of their stores have shadowing opportunities. My advice is to just walk up to the pharmacy counter and ask the pharmacist about job shadowing. I did, and the pharmacist told me to come back in two days for shadowing. It was super easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh kool
I might actually do that over the summer. Does our h/s count these hours?

The 0-6 PharmD program can be applied for while in high school, so you are automatically accepted into pharmacy school from there, at least after you finish your prerequisites. Shadowing should help someone get into this program.
And a little experience never hurt, right?

Walgreens is the best for pharmacy shadowing. I'm a junior and I'm only 16 but they were very eager to have me come in and shadow. It's their corporate policy that all of their stores have shadowing opportunities. My advice is to just walk up to the pharmacy counter and ask the pharmacist about job shadowing. I did, and the pharmacist told me to come back in two days for shadowing. It was super easy.

soo how was the shadowing...what types of things did ye wlearn???

Well, it was a pretty ordinary day, so I learned the day to day routine of retail pharmacy. It was an excellent experience in that I now know I will NEVER be a retail pharmacist. Hospital pharmacy is immensely more interesting! And the pharmacist I shadowed has a friend who works in hospital pharmacy that I can shadow!! So things worked out pretty well :)

Well, it was a pretty ordinary day, so I learned the day to day routine of retail pharmacy. It was an excellent experience in that I now know I will NEVER be a retail pharmacist. Hospital pharmacy is immensely more interesting! And the pharmacist I shadowed has a friend who works in hospital pharmacy that I can shadow!! So things worked out pretty well :)

so did you go regularly or was it like a one-time thing? i've asked about pharmacy shadowing at cvs and hospital pharamcies...my mom's a registered nurse so she tried to ask around but everyone said that i had to be at least 18 because of privacy reasons...

Hello, I'm a upcoming Senior for next year and I live within a CVS, Walgreens, and Rite-Aid in less then a mile.

Is there a certain age to shadow?

Call and ask them to shadow. That's the only way you'll find out.

If they have age limits then...

1. Tell them the truth if they ask for your age.
2. If they don't ask, then good for you!