A semester at a world-prestigious university...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I doubt it, people say University name hardly matters (GPA and MCAT are weighted much more) that means random University 3.8 33 MCAT tops out Harvard 3.4 33 MCAT. I doubt one semester at Oxford would do anything for you

just an opinion though

I am planning to spend a semester aboard at the University of Oxford to study courses in the liberal arts (music, english, history) and hopefully conduct research simultaneously. My school has a partnership study abroad program with this university, and I really wish to get selected.

I would like to know if anyone has done this before. If so, what was your experience studying at Oxford?

Also, my more important question is:

Will this study-abroad experience enrich my application to medical school and make it look more favorable? (Of course, I am not doing it just to make myself look good....I am also genuinely interested in studying abroad) Additionally, will the school name, considering Oxford is pretty prestigious, impact anything??

Considering I don't attend a "known" UG at all, will this help me in terms of ranking and recognition? Will it prove to adcoms that I am "smart" despite my UG institution?

Unless you attend a Top 20 (which it seems you don't), UG name doesn't matter. The Oxford study abroad (which is a great opportunity) doesn't necessarily show you're smart more so than unique. Let the GPA/MCAT do the talking.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you attend a Top 20 (which it seems you don't), UG name doesn't matter. The Oxford study abroad (which is a great opportunity) doesn't necessarily show you're smart more so than unique. Let the GPA/MCAT do the talking.

So will studying abroad at Oxford at least show that I'm unique?

Or are there other better ways to "stand out?"

I'd say do it because it's a really cool opportunity and will be something you remember forever.

Will it get you into Harvard med? No...but that's not the only reason in life to pursue opportunities like this one.

Lol that's okay. I'm not hoping to go to Harvard. I want to pursue it because it's fun and interesting and I hope that it will make me stand out a bit among the thousands of applicants...

do it not for the paper but for the experience. Though I think post-grad fellowship at oxford is more impressive and legit since it is on a more competitive basis and an excellent gap year activity where you get paid rather than the one paying.

Also, I hope the research is not in a lab/office in England. There is some confidential paperwork that you have to do if that is the case if you are a foreigner. In some cases, you might be barred from science research there.

I am planning to spend a semester aboard at the University of Oxford to study courses in the liberal arts (music, english, history) and hopefully conduct research simultaneously. My school has a partnership study abroad program with this university, and I really wish to get selected.

I would like to know if anyone has done this before. If so, what was your experience studying at Oxford?

Will this study-abroad experience enrich my application to medical school and make it look more favorable? (Of course, I am not doing it just to make myself look good....I am also genuinely interested in studying abroad) Additionally, will the school name, considering Oxford is pretty prestigious, impact anything??

Considering I don't attend a "known" UG at all, will this help me in terms of ranking and recognition? Will it prove to adcoms that I am "smart" despite my UG institution?

Oxford or Oxford Brookes?

Reactions: 1 users
do it not for the paper but for the experience. Though I think post-grad fellowship at oxford is more impressive and legit since it is on a more competitive basis and an excellent gap year activity where you get paid rather than the one paying.

Also, I hope the research is not in a lab/office in England. There is some confidential paperwork that you have to do if that is the case if you are a foreigner. In some cases, you might be barred from science research there.

Is the post-grad fellowship you are talking about the Rhodes scholarship program? And does that have to be for one whole year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the post-grad fellowship you are talking about the Rhodes scholarship program? And does that have to be for one whole year?

There are numerous fellowships to Oxford, as there are to most universities. Marshall and Rhodes are probably the two most prominent ones in the US (Marshall allows US students to pick any university in the UK, including Oxford, to study 1-3 years as a postgraduate whereas the Rhodes is a program that sends students from around the world to Oxford for 2 years). There are only ~35 Marshall Scholars and 32 US Rhodes Scholars each year.

As for standing out, I cannot imagine the Oxford name is going to mean much for a study abroad. This isn't your degree, and I cannot imagine med schools use undergrad school name in that simple of a way anyway. Plus, undergrad in the UK is a completely different ballgame than it is in the US - there isn't a direct way for them to compare Oxford to a place like Harvard.

All of that being said, It will probably add something if you can explain how the different education system (and it is quite different) and the international nature of Oxford somehow adds to your package. Without such growth and reflection, the simple act of doing a study abroad probably doesn't do all that much.

Bottom line: there are absolutely better ways to stand out than doing a study abroad at Oxford. However, it would probably be a cool experience. However, why go through life trying to "stand out" when you could be living for your passions or interests? Thus, do it because you want the experience, and if it ends up helping for med school then that's an awesome bonus. No need to worry about how every action is going to affect med school chances.

Last edited:
I am a huge advocate of studying abroad. Don't expect a semester at Oxford to improve your application a ton, but it does add a unique point to your application you can potentially talk about. If you do the Oxford program, do it for yourself and not your application.

Adding to what @seeinghowitgoes I want to add the postgrad fullbright scholarship for which you can apply to other places besides england. I know a couple of people who got fullbright postgrad so this experience is usually pretty good to have if you apply and get it.

So will studying abroad at Oxford at least show that I'm unique?

No, unless on a fulbright or some other type of scholarship program. Studying abroad is meant for self-interest, not meant to be used for other purposes. I wouldn't necessarily consider it unique, many individuals can do a study abroad the only thing that stops others is financial constraints.

I think what you will get from the experience might make you stand out if you can present it in a way that shows growth as a person. You can talk about getting some insight about a somewhat different culture than US.

I'm pretty sure that it's Oxford University not Oxford Brookes

Just make sure it is, the 2 are obviously very different!

1. Yes, it was amazing. Great professors, very smart well traveled students, seminar style courses that encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas. No multiple choice tests, grades were determined by papers and short answer essays.

Took courses at Oxford U (history and philosophy) and U Edinburgh (forensic medicine).

2. No, for the most part it won't help you get into med school.

If you go there, go there for the love of learning and science, not for med school.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHAHA, love this. Knew a girl that went to OB, told everyone she went to the O....hahahahah stupid girl.

This comment reminds me of that time I was at a bar talking to a girl and she was like 'Oh.. I'm a cosmotologist'... me: 'oh, cool. so thats kindof like dermatology :rolleyes:, right?'.. her: 'yeah, i'm basically a dermatologist'

Or are there other better ways to "stand out?"

Do it because you want to do it. If you're trying to stand out, you won't. Hell, I had a med school classmate who summitted Everest. Enjoy your academic life for your academic life and stop giving a crap what AdComs will think.

"Trying" to stand out rarely works. The ones who really stand out did it naturally, instead of going out of their way to do so. Do what you like and love. If you end up standing out, great; if not, so be it. Key to learn.