A Serious Problem In the Anesthesia Community

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soorg

Board-certified maniac
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There currently exists a serious clinical problem that has caught fire within the anesthesia world, for which there seems to be no solution in the foreseeable future.

It is pronounced "Glide-scope," not "glide-ess-scope!"

See, the manufacturer thought it was being slick in naming it that way. It's a scope that allows the ETT to just glide past the vocal cords. Hence "Glide-scope." With the scope, you glide the ETT in. Get it?

So what's the problem here?! Can someone explain it to me?! Why do so many members of a given faculty continue to butcher a name that's clearly and phonetically spelled?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah drives me nuts. Almost as nuts as the apparent new trend by a bunch of anesthesiologists to use the damn Glidescope as their first-line airway tool for every patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
The important thing is that it glidesses the tube to the right depth in sontimeters.

Oh my god sontimeters
WHY?

It sounds so stupid, I can't take anyone seriously when they say this

The important thing is that it glidesses the tube to the right depth in sontimeters.
Where the **** does this word even come from? Like, I've heard it many times over the years and I just can't fathom how they read "centimeters" and managed to piece it together phonetically as "sontimeters."

Just ask 'em if they shop at the 99 sont store or if you can borrow 50 sonts.

Reactions: 2 users
Like the bug I stepped on in the basement last week. Damn saantipede.

Reactions: 1 user
Man things were better in the 20th sontury. I'm just going to go have a walk in sontral park.

At my residency ccf, they called attendings professor and the glide scope was a glidescope. Also the term zu ze block or zu ze case was standard verbage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah drives me nuts. Almost as nuts as the apparent new trend by a bunch of anesthesiologists to use the damn Glidescope as their first-line airway tool for every patient.
Why does this bother you? Does it bother you to use a nail gun instead of a hammer? Just playing devils advocate.

They sound like our ED residents. I'm not sure they can intubate without a fixed fiberoptic camera attached to the scope. Every time they rotate with us and ask about it, I ask them how well the glide-uh-scope works in people with small mouths and blood airways and what plan B is in those instances.

Blank. Stares.

One of my attendings in med school hated glidescopes and always ranted about how glidescopes were for the weak. He's incredibly facile with the fiberoptic bronchoscope, so I guess if an old fashioned DL didn't do the job, he'd just slip a tube in under 10 seconds with a FOB (he actually made me count how many seconds it took whenever we showed up to a "difficult airway" call together... just to drive the point home).

In homage to one of my more awesome (and very Taiwanese) attendings in residency, I like to call it the Gride-o-scope.

Reactions: 3 users
Slightly off-topic but on a parallel note, why do all the nurses pronounce it Yonker or Yawn-ker? It's clearly spelled Yankauer. How the hell do you get Yon/Yawn from (Y/Ya/Yan/Yank...) and ker from the latter half.

Well I am proposing a new pronunciation for the bougie. We currently pronounce it "boo-zhe." I want to start saying "boo-gie." I think it would make difficult airways a lot more fun and may even prompt a spontaneous dance when the intubation is successful.

Well I am proposing a new pronunciation for the bougie. We currently pronounce it "boo-zhe." I want to start saying "boo-gie." I think it would make difficult airways a lot more fun and may even prompt a spontaneous dance when the intubation is successful.

And that will lead to the bad joke:

How do you make a trachea dance?

Put a little bougie in it.