A small healthcare story

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings SDN,

Ive recently graduated and now on my way to college for Pre-Medical.Im so excited but i thought i would share this very recent medical story.

On June 2nd[2013], the day before my graduation(June 3rd) i hurt my shoulder while playing Ice hockey. Later that night I decided to go to the hospital to make sure nothing was broken. As we walked into the hospital we were greeted and helped by the front desk. Then my vital signs and basic paperwork were taken. I got a chance to speak with them and describe what happened, they didn't seem frustrated at all. But truly happy to help. Within 20 minutes i was already called back to a patient room. (talk about quick).

As i waited i observed the hospital,the rooms, and it was absolutely spotless. Later on, the doctor that was taking up my injury came in and explained ill have X - rays done.

( X ray tech came in shortly after, and i got the scans completed)

The last step was waiting the result. After 45 minutes and the paperwork in between, it was found i actually had a broken collarbone. So i had to wear a sling and sit in pain without the sling at graduation the next day :laugh:

Sorry for the dry story. But my point is, that night i saw so many different sectors being used in the hospital to attend my injury. From the front desk to the X ray techs. It was absolutely amazing to see the perfect coordination and great attitude from those who helped me. I got a chance to speak with most of them and thanked them more than willingly.This kind of feeling is what most people should experience when they need help. I know there are horrible experiences but this visit was surely somethng to remember. And it was very inspiring to me as well after the fact. This is why the medical field can be satisfying.

Thanks for reading! And feel free to share any bad or good experiences!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well greetings, I once went to the emergency room and liked how the medical doctor was very calm and not super stressed :p which has made me think emergency medicine as a good field.

So I shadowed a general/trauma surgeon a while back and he let me see both the clinical and surgical side of his work. He was one of the coolest guys I had ever spoken with. He was very relaxed, he taught me thing while in the OR!!!!! Showed me anatomy, introduced me to a BUNCH of docs and they all said if I wanted to shadow them. Then he let me go to lunch with him in the Physicians lounge. Coolest lunch ever! And best of all, he played music during the operation. That probably inspired me more than anything to become a surgeon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my fair share of physician experiences.

The Neurology department at Mount Sinai is pretty nice :) And the orthopedic surgeons at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine performed a lumbar microdiscectomy on my mom's spine. A general surgeon saved my dad's life, an OB/GYN saved mine as well...

A podiatrist performed a bunion surgery on my mother and i will likely go to the same person for a bunionette.

I've also seen many other healthcare providers... From psychologists, to audiologists... To speech pathologists... I remember this poor guy who came in and he had the worst stuttering condition i've ever heard. It was so debilitating and I can't imagine how it felt to not really be able to express yourself. To not be able to really build relationships, not even being able to talk to a girl... He was pretty depressed and the Speech Pathologist helped him so much and he was able to really be himself.

awesome stories guys! I wish I had something to share, most interesting visit to my hospital was when I passed out while filling out an application for CVS... long story short I didn't exactly get the job

So I shadowed a general/trauma surgeon a while back and he let me see both the clinical and surgical side of his work. He was one of the coolest guys I had ever spoken with. He was very relaxed, he taught me thing while in the OR!!!!! Showed me anatomy, introduced me to a BUNCH of docs and they all said if I wanted to shadow them. Then he let me go to lunch with him in the Physicians lounge. Coolest lunch ever! And best of all, he played music during the operation. That probably inspired me more than anything to become a surgeon.

Yeah i was able to shadow quite a bit during high school. It was part of the medical program as well but it was very interesting seeing surgeries and other functions. I volunteered at the Moffitt cancer center. That was a great experience. I stayed close to the radiology side of things and MRI wing. Very good work but sad situations ofcourse.

Well greetings, I once went to the emergency room and liked how the medical doctor was very calm and not super stressed :p which has made me think emergency medicine as a good field.

:thumbup: