A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I swear I saw somewhere that it said to use some code when booking a hotel room near the school, but I can't find that code anywhere. The hotel listings here, http://www.atsu.edu/soma/admissions/interview/documents/HotelListing.pdf show the *ATSU rates thing but I don't know how to get those rates.. Does anybody know what the code is or did you just call to book?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to be flying into the Phoenix airport. What does anyone suggest is the best way to get to a hotel near campus from there?

I swear I saw somewhere that it said to use some code when booking a hotel room near the school, but I can't find that code anywhere. The hotel listings here, http://www.atsu.edu/soma/admissions/interview/documents/HotelListing.pdf show the *ATSU rates thing but I don't know how to get those rates.. Does anybody know what the code is or did you just call to book?

Just call and ask them for the ATSU rate. They will book over the phone and you will pay when you check out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be flying into the Phoenix airport. What does anyone suggest is the best way to get to a hotel near campus from there?

I would rent a car. But you can take a taxi to the hotel, and some of the hotels (the closer ones to campus) have a free shuttle that takes you to ATSU

I would rent a car. But you can take a taxi to the hotel, and some of the hotels (the closer ones to campus) have a free shuttle that takes you to ATSU
If you take a taxi/shuttle what do you do with your bags during the interview? Since checkout at the hotels is before the end of the interview day you can't go back to the hotel after the interview. Do you just carry your bags around with you during the interview day? Sorry this is my first interview so I'm kinda lost.

If you take a taxi/shuttle what do you do with your bags during the interview? Since checkout at the hotels is before the end of the interview day you can't go back to the hotel after the interview. Do you just carry your bags around with you during the interview day? Sorry this is my first interview so I'm kinda lost.
I stayed at best western very close to campus (15min drive), took shuttle from/to airport for about $23 one way and used hotel's shuttle to get around. Ask front desk for late check out to leave your luggage in room or leave it with receptionist after checking out. I booked flight and hotel through expedia. Good luck!!

I stayed at best western very close to campus (15min drive), took shuttle from/to airport for about $23 one way and used hotel's shuttle to get around. Ask front desk for late check out to leave your luggage in room or leave it with receptionist after checking out. I booked flight and hotel through expedia. Good luck!!
Very helpful thank you! I was planning on staying at the best western also.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if you all could give me some tips. I have an interview coming up at the end of the month. Which hotel do you recommend staying at? I am thinking of staying at the Country Inn and Suites since it is apparently close to campus and has a shuttle service. I'd just like to hear some input before making the call. I have never been to Arizona so this will be quite an experience.

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if you all could give me some tips. I have an interview coming up at the end of the month. Which hotel do you recommend staying at? I am thinking of staying at the Country Inn and Suites since it is apparently close to campus and has a shuttle service. I'd just like to hear some input before making the call. I have never been to Arizona so this will be quite an experience.

Thank you!

wondering if you mind sharing what your time line looked like? When was your primary done? Your secondary? When did you get an ii?

wondering if you mind sharing what your time line looked like? When was your primary done? Your secondary? When did you get an ii?
I know you didn't ask me but I'll just give you my timeline. My primary was released 10/10/2013, then secondary received within a day or so and submitted secondary Oct 23rd. I was complete by like 10/30. Then I received an II 12/19. Interview originally scheduled for mid February but was able to get an earlier date mid January.

I know you didn't ask me but I'll just give you my timeline. My primary was released 10/10/2013, then secondary received within a day or so and submitted secondary Oct 23rd. I was complete by like 10/30. Then I received an II 12/19. Interview originally scheduled for mid February but was able to get an earlier date mid January.

thanks! good luck on your interview!! :)

Have any of those accepted but waiting for their CHC choice to become available heard anything yet? I know it's still early but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I applied late (November) and haven't heard anything back yet...does anyone know if the school is still offering interviews or if the class is pretty much full already?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any of those accepted but waiting for their CHC choice to become available heard anything yet? I know it's still early but I thought I'd ask anyway.
I asked right before the holidays about my CHC's and I was told that there were at least 4 people in front of me waiting at all my choices... i only ranked 4... Does anyone know what happens if no spot opens up at all of your choices?

I asked right before the holidays about my CHC's and I was told that there were at least 4 people in front of me waiting at all my choices... i only ranked 4... Does anyone know what happens if no spot opens up at all of your choices?
I was told you roll into next year.

I applied late (November) and haven't heard anything back yet...does anyone know if the school is still offering interviews or if the class is pretty much full already?
Submitted early Nov and I have not heard a peep... I guess that might be a silent rejection.

Submitted early Nov and I have not heard a peep... I guess that might be a silent rejection.
Have you called them?... I submitted late November and the lady I spoke with told me that I should hear back within 2weeks... I don't think they do silent rejections?

Are all the CHC full? Is it strictly first come, first serve? TIA

Are all the CHC full? Is it strictly first come, first serve? TIA

You are ranked after your interview and the higher rank you are the better chance you have at getting your top choice chc. However, once the limit is reached at each chc people have to choose not to attend for people waiting to get placed. I believe all the chc's are probably full now. I was accepted the first week of December and there were only 2 with spots left. I am assuming as people get other acceptances spots will open up more this spring

You are ranked after your interview and the higher rank you are the better chance you have at getting your top choice chc. However, once the limit is reached at each chc people have to choose not to attend for people waiting to get placed. I believe all the chc's are probably full now. I was accepted the first week of December and there were only 2 with spots left. I am assuming as people get other acceptances spots will open up more this spring

What factors do they use to rank you after the interview?

Have you called them?... I submitted late November and the lady I spoke with told me that I should hear back within 2weeks... I don't think they do silent rejections?
Just got my snail mail rejection...Lol

Hi, anyone interviewing on the 17th or the 31st of Jan? My current date is Feb 15th and I feel its a late interview. Any suggestions? Thanks

Gave up my spot for COMP Northwest. Good Luck, hope someone is waiting for my Flagstaff place!

Rejected today via snail mail (3.7/3.7/30) Not totally sure why, but they were at the bottom of my list. I am always looking for feedback though; did anyone have success getting application feedback after a rejection?

Rejected today via snail mail (3.7/3.7/30) Not totally sure why, but they were at the bottom of my list. I am always looking for feedback though; did anyone have success getting application feedback after a rejection?

Well they do heavily focus on underserved. I believe they look for people who geared their pre med career around serving the underserved. That is the impression I got during the social prior to the interview.

Can you guys who were rejected share when you were complete?

ATSU SOMA sent me an email saying they put my application on further "hold" and it will be reviewed later. I guess this is better than a flat out rejection, but is anyone else in the same boat? Has anyone gotten an interview that was on "hold"?

ATSU SOMA sent me an email saying they put my application on further "hold" and it will be reviewed later. I guess this is better than a flat out rejection, but is anyone else in the same boat? Has anyone gotten an interview that was on "hold"?
I got one from another school. It means your application is promising but they want to see how you compare to future applicants before they invite you for interview. Keep them updated on new events/achievements. It's an ok sign from the school. It's definitely better than a rejection. Good luck!

Anyone know the interview to accept ratio here? TIA

What attire did everyone wear for the social before the interview?

What attire did everyone wear for the social before the interview?
I'm planning on wearing slacks with a dress shirt and nice shoes. I saw on here it was just casual but the email said no tennis shoes or jeans.

I'm planning on wearing slacks with a dress shirt and nice shoes. I saw on here it was just casual but the email said no tennis shoes or jeans.
Most everyone wore a dress shirt, tie, and slacks. Some wore suits. In my opinion, a suit looks better.

Besides location, why would anybody choose this school over all the other DO schools? Does this school have anything "special" about it?

Besides location, why would anybody choose this school over all the other DO schools? Does this school have anything "special" about it?

I chose this school over another school this cycle, so I can tell you what I liked about it:

- Curriculum. Systems, start clinical experiences second year, second year is lighter on classwork so you can start studying for the boards (especially light towards the end of second year), clinical experiences (I imagine) are also a good way to cement the basics..
- Had a great experience there during my interview. The faculty are well meaning and committed to student progress. The administration seems invested in the students. I did not get this impression from all the schools at which I interviewed.
- Some really key locations... you can do research at another institution during the 2nd year depending on where you go.
- I think it's a great way to experience living in two different parts of the country. I also imagine it repels people who are really averse to that idea...and I am okay with that...

Sending out my secondaries kind of late, but hoping to get an interview. MCAT 26, cGPA 3.47, sGPA 3.28. Fingers crossed

got an email stating my application was on hold, and would be reviewed at a later date for future consideration. :(

Rejected. I didn't like the school at all and I tried to mask my disinterest but I think it was obvious during my interview. I was also unprepared because of my busy schedule and even messed up at one of the MMI stations where I was presented with a really awkward situation. Oh well. At least I got other acceptances to choose from!
When did you interview?

Can someone tell me what the file review process was like? Do they basically just ask you about your grades and stuff?

Can someone tell me what the file review process was like? Do they basically just ask you about your grades and stuff?
They just went over very quickly my grades and checked that I completed all prerequisites and then casually asked about a few C's but didn't act like they were a big deal at all. It was kinda weird. The whole thing took like 5-10 minutes and was very casual.

They just went over very quickly my grades and checked that I completed all prerequisites and then casually asked about a few C's but didn't act like they were a big deal at all. It was kinda weird. The whole thing took like 5-10 minutes and was very casual.
I don't know if everyone had this experience but my record reviewer was very funny, laid back, and just wanted to know why certain grades/withdrawals existed. I had an f and a d in my record and I honestly told her I was more interested in partying than school during that time in my life. Luckily I had several years of good grades afterwards and she told me that my bad grades showed growth and perseverance. Long story short, I was accepted and didn't feel judged.

Received an interview invite on 1/13.

I'll be interviewing next Friday, 1/31. I'm really excited to visit the school.

I'm a Phoenix local so I'll be making the trek out to Mesa on Thursday for the social and Friday for the interview.

Received an interview invite on 1/13.

I'll be interviewing next Friday, 1/31. I'm really excited to visit the school.

I'm a Phoenix local so I'll be making the trek out to Mesa on Thursday for the social and Friday for the interview.

Do you mind if I ask when you were complete? I was complete on 12/16 and haven't heard anything, so I just wanted to gauge where they were in the process.

Do you mind if I ask when you were complete? I was complete on 12/16 and haven't heard anything, so I just wanted to gauge where they were in the process.

I submitted on 11/14 and I believe I was complete around the same time.

Actually thought I was silently being rejected from the lack of communication but maybe with the holidays they were just working slowly.

I submitted on 11/14 and I believe I was complete around the same time.

Actually thought I was silently being rejected from the lack of communication but maybe with the holidays they were just working slowly.

Ya I called earlier this month and that's what the lady said, but she said I'd hear back by the end of this month. Seems there a bit further behind though, since you were a complete a month before me. Congrats on the invite though! And good luck!