A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ya I called earlier this month and that's what the lady said, but she said I'd hear back by the end of this month. Seems there a bit further behind though, since you were a complete a month before me. Congrats on the invite though! And good luck!

Thanks! For what it's worth when I scheduled my interview they had open dates going into March so I'm sure they'll be sending out many more invites. GL!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! For what it's worth when I scheduled my interview they had open dates going into March so I'm sure they'll be sending out many more invites. GL!

Good to know! Thanks!

Can any current students or people who already interviewed comment on 3rd year and 4th year rotation sites. Particularly with regards to location i.e. are they determined by where your CHC is, or is there a list of locations to choose from, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone been given an interview after being on hold?

Got my acceptance before Christmas and just remembered about SDN, so I logged in.
I've decided to accept the spot and it is my number one choice of the schools I applied to.

Who else had decided to go? I'm excited to meet my future classmates!

Also, feel free to ask me any questions and I'll give my best answers.

I thought I would share some info via a reply to a message I received.

Hi! Congrats on your acceptance! I have an interview next week at this school.

Any tips or advice for the interview?

Thank you very much in advance and hope to join you in the fall!

moto_za,

Reply:

Hey there. Thank you. Congratulations also on your interview.

This was my favorite interview because of how relaxed and friendly everyone was.

For the file review session: my only advice is to not try to make excuses for bad grades, incompletes, etc. that might exist. Just say that you have grown since then and learned from mistakes.

For the role play scenarios: don't overstep the boundaries of your role in the scenario. Don't give any information that you aren't sure is absolutely true, and don't give medical advice. Also, try to relate everything you say in the scenarios to the principles of osteopathy.

For the interview: I think it's the same for everyone in that your interviewers will really ask the tough questions about why YOU will be a great doctor. What is different about you that will help you uniquely overcome challenges, especially the challenge of patient quotas/quality of care. Also, look into community health clinics. If they seem like an idea that you support, gather a mental list about why you support the idea of community health clinics and why you would do well working at one.

Hope this helps,

DJ​

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
Anyone know if the class is full? What CHC are left?

Can any current students or people who already interviewed comment on 3rd year and 4th year rotation sites. Particularly with regards to location i.e. are they determined by where your CHC is, or is there a list of locations to choose from, etc.

3rd year rotation sites will depend on what CHC you are at. Each CHC has its core rotations set at community health centers and hospitals around the area. Most CHCs don't travel too far for rotation. For example, NY rotations are all at one hospital; DC travels up to 2 hours for rotations, but Oregon has some as far away as Alaska.
Currently, you can do any elective rotations at any other hospital, as long as you get it approved by the school/the hospital approves you to rotate with them.

4th year rotations are really open. There are several previous posts (see the first page of this thread) regarding 4th year rotations. Most of the time you will be on audition rotations around the country. There are only a few required rotations during 4th year, and again, the core rotations will be done at pre-set up sites at/around your CHC.

Members don't see this ad :)
3rd year rotation sites will depend on what CHC you are at. Each CHC has its core rotations set at community health centers and hospitals around the area. Most CHCs don't travel too far for rotation. For example, NY rotations are all at one hospital; DC travels up to 2 hours for rotations, but Oregon has some as far away as Alaska.
Currently, you can do any elective rotations at any other hospital, as long as you get it approved by the school/the hospital approves you to rotate with them.

4th year rotations are really open. There are several previous posts (see the first page of this thread) regarding 4th year rotations. Most of the time you will be on audition rotations around the country. There are only a few required rotations during 4th year, and again, the core rotations will be done at pre-set up sites at/around your CHC.
To add to that, I have also heard of people traveling all the way from Alaska to Hawaii and back for rotations. It probably takes a lot of work though but it would be fun if you don't have anchors to a certain place.

Anyone know if the group interview is open file?

Anyone know if the group interview is open file?
It's not a group interview and it's individual. They have access to the file but they didn't mention it more than twice in my interview

To add to that, I have also heard of people traveling all the way from Alaska to Hawaii and back for rotations. It probably takes a lot of work though but it would be fun if you don't have anchors to a certain place.

If you really wanted to do an elective rotation in Hawaii or Alaska you could.
Also, you will be doing the work to get any rotations you want outside of your CHC. The school will not do the work to set it up for you; they are just the ones to do the final approval. All paperwork, affiliations, etc. must be done by you. This is not to say it is a bad thing, it is just because you want a rotation "outside of the network" so to speak. Elective rotations can also be done at your CHC site...you don't have to go find an elective elsewhere. There is a huge list we get of approved specialities for the elective rotations.

All core rotations are already set up for you. You do not have to go find your own core rotations. Just wanted to make that clear.

Point of clarification on the DC site....the commute time depends on where you live. Some students chose to live outside of the city in the suburbs, so their commute time is longer, up to an hour and a half. If you live in the city, depending on the site it can be a 10 min walk to a 45 min/hour train ride.

If you really wanted to do an elective rotation in Hawaii or Alaska you could.
Also, you will be doing the work to get any rotations you want outside of your CHC. The school will not do the work to set it up for you; they are just the ones to do the final approval. All paperwork, affiliations, etc. must be done by you. This is not to say it is a bad thing, it is just because you want a rotation "outside of the network" so to speak. Elective rotations can also be done at your CHC site...you don't have to go find an elective elsewhere. There is a huge list we get of approved specialities for the elective rotations.

All core rotations are already set up for you. You do not have to go find your own core rotations. Just wanted to make that clear.

Are you saying that a student could do their rotations anywhere they want? I was under the impression that a CHC was the only choice for years 2-4.

Are you saying that a student could do their rotations anywhere they want? I was under the impression that a CHC was the only choice for years 2-4.

First, during 3rd year there are two types of rotations: core rotations and electives. Core rotations include psych, surgery, internal med, family practice, ob/gyn, peds, etc. These core rotations are all done at your CHC site. They are already set up for you through your CHC and must be done at that site.
Elective rotations are just that, electives. You can chose what rotations you would like to do. During 3rd year, you get one 4-week elective, one 2-week elective and one 4-week primary care elective. There is a list we are given of specialities that are considered "allowed" for these electives. This includes trauma, neonatology, peds cardiology, etc. These elective rotations can be done anyone you want...as long as you do the work to set up the rotation. They can be done at your CHC if you so desire. Some people just chose to do them elsewhere if they want to go back to their home state for a rotation, have a doctor they want to work with in other location, etc.

2nd year you spend 8 hours in the CHC clinics each week. This is done at the CHC, no exceptions, since you are still doing didactic work, OPP class, etc. These are not "rotations" per say but extra time learning valuable physical exam and history taking skills. Clinics include everything from family practice, ob/gyn, peds, teen clinics, to labor&delivery, surgery, optho, dermatology (note: specialities available for 2nd years vary based on CHC, but you will learn a ton no matter where you are)

First, during 3rd year there are two types of rotations: core rotations and electives. Core rotations include psych, surgery, internal med, family practice, ob/gyn, peds, etc. These core rotations are all done at your CHC site. They are already set up for you through your CHC and must be done at that site.
Elective rotations are just that, electives. You can chose what rotations you would like to do. During 3rd year, you get one 4-week elective, one 2-week elective and one 4-week primary care elective. There is a list we are given of specialities that are considered "allowed" for these electives. This includes trauma, neonatology, peds cardiology, etc. These elective rotations can be done anyone you want...as long as you do the work to set up the rotation. They can be done at your CHC if you so desire. Some people just chose to do them elsewhere if they want to go back to their home state for a rotation, have a doctor they want to work with in other location, etc.

2nd year you spend 8 hours in the CHC clinics each week. This is done at the CHC, no exceptions, since you are still doing didactic work, OPP class, etc. These are not "rotations" per say but extra time learning valuable physical exam and history taking skills. Clinics include everything from family practice, ob/gyn, peds, teen clinics, to labor&delivery, surgery, optho, dermatology (note: specialities available for 2nd years vary based on CHC, but you will learn a ton no matter where you are)

Is the 4th year the same as the 3rd year?

Is the 4th year the same as the 3rd year?

No.

In fourth year you will have fewer "assigned" rotations, meaning that you have more freedom to rotate in fields you want to. In otherwords, 4thyear is less structured and you get to more or less make it what you want. There are 12 rotation blocks 4th year, and you must do 11 rotations, the "loose" block can be used to study for step2 or do research if you like.

As misssciencenerd above me pointed out, 3rd year is very structured as you have many "core" rotations that you will be required to do. 3rd year also has 12 blocks and you have to use all 12 on rotations. In 3rd year you will be required to do the following rotations (all 4 weeks in duration)

2 rotations in Family Med
2 rotations in Internal Med
1 rotation in general Pediatrics
1 rotation in Obstetrics and Gynecology
1 rotation in Psychiatry
1 rotation in General Surgery
1 rotation in Maternal Fetal medicine (Either OB or Peds, or some combo of both).

There are also the following elective/selective rotations.
1 "primary care selective" rotation, which is any field related to primary care. I used mine for HemeOnc.
1 2 week "elective" rotation of your choice
1 4 week elective rotation of your choice.

So you get a total of 6 weeks that you get to choose what you rotate in, and 4 weeks that you sorta get to choose. The rest will be provided for you and you will go where the CHC has set up for you.

4th year you have to do Cardiology, ER, Surgery Selective, Peds Selective, 2 weeks of Neuro, ICU, and 2 med Selectives. I think the rest is elective time.

I don't know if everyone had this experience but my record reviewer was very funny, laid back, and just wanted to know why certain grades/withdrawals existed. I had an f and a d in my record and I honestly told her I was more interested in partying than school during that time in my life. Luckily I had several years of good grades afterwards and she told me that my bad grades showed growth and perseverance. Long story short, I was accepted and didn't feel judged.

Ah, thank you both for the response. I was nervous about that portion because I did not know what to expect. ATSU is one of my top choices so I want to try my best ><

I thought I would share some info via a reply to a message I received.

Hi! Congrats on your acceptance! I have an interview next week at this school.

Any tips or advice for the interview?

Thank you very much in advance and hope to join you in the fall!

moto_za,

Reply:

Hey there. Thank you. Congratulations also on your interview.

This was my favorite interview because of how relaxed and friendly everyone was.

For the file review session: my only advice is to not try to make excuses for bad grades, incompletes, etc. that might exist. Just say that you have grown since then and learned from mistakes.

For the role play scenarios: don't overstep the boundaries of your role in the scenario. Don't give any information that you aren't sure is absolutely true, and don't give medical advice. Also, try to relate everything you say in the scenarios to the principles of osteopathy.

For the interview: I think it's the same for everyone in that your interviewers will really ask the tough questions about why YOU will be a great doctor. What is different about you that will help you uniquely overcome challenges, especially the challenge of patient quotas/quality of care. Also, look into community health clinics. If they seem like an idea that you support, gather a mental list about why you support the idea of community health clinics and why you would do well working at one.

Hope this helps,

DJ​

Thank you for the tips! I just had a quick question about the MMI: Will there be any situations in which they will make you feel like you have to give any medical advice? I have never done an MMI, but have read up on them. Is it more of them trying to see how you as a non-medical professional would react in a clinical situation? Hope that makes sense >.>

Thank you for the tips! I just had a quick question about the MMI: Will there be any situations in which they will make you feel like you have to give any medical advice? I have never done an MMI, but have read up on them. Is it more of them trying to see how you as a non-medical professional would react in a clinical situation? Hope that makes sense >.>
I don't know if we can answer that due to the non disclosure form we signed. I believe their mmi is merely just to see your communication skills and how you think on your feet. Personally, I didn't feel like it was a big deal. I was very nervous before hand and after it was done thought it was easy.

No.

In fourth year you will have fewer "assigned" rotations, meaning that you have more freedom to rotate in fields you want to. In otherwords, 4thyear is less structured and you get to more or less make it what you want. There are 12 rotation blocks 4th year, and you must do 11 rotations, the "loose" block can be used to study for step2 or do research if you like.

As misssciencenerd above me pointed out, 3rd year is very structured as you have many "core" rotations that you will be required to do. 3rd year also has 12 blocks and you have to use all 12 on rotations. In 3rd year you will be required to do the following rotations (all 4 weeks in duration)

2 rotations in Family Med
2 rotations in Internal Med
1 rotation in general Pediatrics
1 rotation in Obstetrics and Gynecology
1 rotation in Psychiatry
1 rotation in General Surgery
1 rotation in Maternal Fetal medicine (Either OB or Peds, or some combo of both).

There are also the following elective/selective rotations.
1 "primary care selective" rotation, which is any field related to primary care. I used mine for HemeOnc.
1 2 week "elective" rotation of your choice
1 4 week elective rotation of your choice.

So you get a total of 6 weeks that you get to choose what you rotate in, and 4 weeks that you sorta get to choose. The rest will be provided for you and you will go where the CHC has set up for you.

4th year you have to do Cardiology, ER, Surgery Selective, Peds Selective, 2 weeks of Neuro, ICU, and 2 med Selectives. I think the rest is elective time.

Thank you SLC, your post was informative and clearly communicated. This is what I got: 3rd year will be composed of CHC determined rotation activities, with a 2.5 month period of self-selected rotations. These self-selected choices are therefore up to you to decide whether you want to do them at the CHC or elsewhere.

The 4th year will be more up to you in terms of setting up your activities for the year. The "requisites" of year 4 are eleven (11) rotations, most of which are your choice (and therefore where you do them is also up to you) except for Card, ER, Surg. Sel., Peds. Sel., Neuro, ICU, and 2 med sel. ; a final block is up to you how to use it, study time for step 2, research, an extra rotation, etc.

2nd year is an 8 hr/week schedule at your CHC doing clinics, on top of studying for step 1. No need to set this up, as the school and CHC has your schedule set up already. This is where we will be with doctors and learning how to take history, the art of prognosis :), diagnosis and treatment. So it seems to me that the busiest year is the 2nd, unless you consider the 11 month sprint of year 1 as the worst of it all. Whatever the case, 2nd year will be the reason for my ability to have an "advantage" in year 3 once I start rotations.

Thanks guys. I can now visualize the experience of ATSU-SOMA!

I don't know if we can answer that due to the non disclosure form we signed. I believe their mmi is merely just to see your communication skills and how you think on your feet. Personally, I didn't feel like it was a big deal. I was very nervous before hand and after it was done thought it was easy.
Agreed.

Thank you!

Just got the acceptance call!!!! Woooot! Interviewed 1/17.

Good job! Are you gonna accept?
I am for sure going to take this acceptance over Alabama and PNWU but I am interviewing at Touro NV in a couple weeks and I think I would go to Touro over this school. Mostly because of location. The only CHC's that currently have spots open are Washington DC, South Carolina and Ohio.

Hey guys sorry if this is a dumb question, but my first choice was the SC CHC so I did not put down any other CHC's as second choices, etc. I got a confirmation email saying that I was assigned the SC CHC. Does this mean that I for sure got that site?

Hey guys sorry if this is a dumb question, but my first choice was the SC CHC so I did not put down any other CHC's as second choices, etc. I got a confirmation email saying that I was assigned the SC CHC. Does this mean that I for sure got that site?
More than likely. You'll get another email probably today with an agreement form and other documents. This email means you are in. But....I would guess you are good to go just not officially yet.

Thank you SLC, your post was informative and clearly communicated. This is what I got: 3rd year will be composed of CHC determined rotation activities, with a 2.5 month period of self-selected rotations. These self-selected choices are therefore up to you to decide whether you want to do them at the CHC or elsewhere.

The 4th year will be more up to you in terms of setting up your activities for the year. The "requisites" of year 4 are eleven (11) rotations, most of which are your choice (and therefore where you do them is also up to you) except for Card, ER, Surg. Sel., Peds. Sel., Neuro, ICU, and 2 med sel. ; a final block is up to you how to use it, study time for step 2, research, an extra rotation, etc.

2nd year is an 8 hr/week schedule at your CHC doing clinics, on top of studying for step 1. No need to set this up, as the school and CHC has your schedule set up already. This is where we will be with doctors and learning how to take history, the art of prognosis :), diagnosis and treatment. So it seems to me that the busiest year is the 2nd, unless you consider the 11 month sprint of year 1 as the worst of it all. Whatever the case, 2nd year will be the reason for my ability to have an "advantage" in year 3 once I start rotations.

Thanks guys. I can now visualize the experience of ATSU-SOMA!

Your understanding is more or less correct.

First off, not all 3rd year core rotations are done at the CHC. I haven't done any at a CHC yet for example, but my site is less of a CHC and more of a community health association. Still even if you go directly to one CHC (all but NYC and Portland from what I can tell), you won't do inpatient Medicine or Surgery at the CHC because to my knowledge no CHC has these facilities. Instead you'll do these rotations at a local hospital.

4th year you understand correctly.

2nd year does have ~8hr's per week clinical time, and studying for step1. But you'll also have lecture courses just like in first year to do. The courses are fewer though, and I wouldn't necessarily say it's busier than the other years, just different since you're blending clinical experience with pre-clinical learning. During 2nd year we had courses in Reproductive, Obstetrics, Human Development, Epidemiology/Biostatistics, Senses (sorta like another neuro class), Derm, Hematology, OMM, and Medical Skills Practice. While in 1st year we had OMM, Medical Skills, Principles of Medicine, Neuro, MSK, Cardio, Pulm, Renal, Endocrine, GI.

In addition, we wrapped up 2nd year in early May, even though the last few weeks were very light and easy. Some classmates didn't take the Boards till late June, so you could have up to 2 solid months to study if you wanted it. I took mine early June though, and took the rest of the summer off.

Hope that clears it up even more.

Best of luck, I love attending SOMA and I think you will too.

Hey guys so I have accepted my offer here and I will be at the Flagstaff CHC! I look forward to meeting some of you in July!

Hey guys so I have accepted my offer here and I will be at the Flagstaff CHC! I look forward to meeting some of you in July!
Congrats! I'm going to flagstaff too. Look forward to meeting you.

Congratulations! Looks like I'll be seeing you around at least for the next three years. :)

Yea I am. Don't know what to expect though but its supposed to be pretty relaxed right?

Oh yeah, everyone there is nice. This is the non-mandatory social which is more of an introduction to ATSU. Some statistics, what the mission value is, but really to just sit with staff and other applicants and get to know one another. No need to impress yet ;)

mission value = the relaxed phrase of mission and values... thought i'd point that out since I made that word up

How did the jan 31 interview go for the people who went?
Went well. The social really helped ease the nervousness. There were a lot of interviewees though.
Really like the school and hope to hear back soon.

Does anyone know if there is an extended directory for faculty and staff? I want to write a thank email to my interviewers but one of the emails isn't on the faculty directory on the website

Does anyone know if there is an extended directory for faculty and staff? I want to write a thank email to my interviewers but one of the emails isn't on the faculty directory on the website

PM me with their name and I can get you their email address.

Anybody know how many students are accepted each interview? My interview was about 55 students and I don't feel good about the chances considering the class size is around 100.

Hi all! I just cancelled my Feb 28th interview... I hope my spot can go out to one of you very deserving individuals!