A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had my interview here and loved it. Students and staff were super nice. The school did a great job presenting itself.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there is a facebook group for accepted students?

Can any current students comment on how they like/dislike their curriculum for years 1 and 2?

Can any current students comment on how they like/dislike their curriculum for years 1 and 2?

I think the first two years curriculum is excellent. You're taught to think like a physician from day 1, and classes are generally interesting and well taught.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how much time we have to choose our chcs? I think I remember 2 weeks from the interview but the email doesn't say anything

Does anyone know how much time we have to choose our chcs? I think I remember 2 weeks from the interview but the email doesn't say anything
It's 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
When do we get more information about stuff like the deposit and stuff we have to do before class starts? I already chose my CHC and got a confirmation, but that's about it...

When do we get more information about stuff like the deposit and stuff we have to do before class starts? I already chose my CHC and got a confirmation, but that's about it...

Was wondering the same...

You should receive an email from admissions which contains an acceptance packet, deposit info, tuition info, nearby apartments, etc.
I think I got mine about a week after I got the acceptance call. You can always email admissions if it has been a while since your acceptance and you haven't received anything.

I still have to choose my chcs. That's not a bad thing right since I have time??

You should receive an email from admissions which contains an acceptance packet, deposit info, tuition info, nearby apartments, etc.
I think I got mine about a week after I got the acceptance call. You can always email admissions if it has been a while since your acceptance and you haven't received anything.

Oh okay I was worried for a bit lol. I finally got mine on Monday!

Is it possible to add sites to my CHC list after I have submitted it? Maybe during the year? And does anyone know the process if I have to wait another year?

Is anyone applying to the Hawaii CHC, or do any current students have any experience with the Hawaii CHC? Please let me know!

Anyone interviewing on Feb 15th? :soexcited:

I am suppose to!! With the east coast weather however, my flight has been cancelled! Ahhh! I've been trying so hard to find another flight and was stand by on two today. I didn't make it on. I'm trying again tomorrow (14th) but the flights are all full and it doesn't look promising.
Has anyone had to reschedule an interview here?!? I'm horribly afraid that's what I'll have to try to do! It's already so late in game, I'm dreading that option. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone. I'm in Mesa now at a hotel. I will be interviewing February 15th. If anyone wants to meet up let me know!

Anyone who was complete at or around mid December hear anything at all?

Got an email today from Atsu-soma that the class of 2014 is already full, but that you will guaranteed a spot for 2015 if you are accepted post-interview from now until the end of interview season

Got an email today from Atsu-soma that the class of 2014 is already full, but that you will guaranteed a spot for 2015 if you are accepted post-interview from now until the end of interview season
What chcs did you choose? I didn't get any email but I was accepted a couple weeks ago.

What chcs did you choose? I didn't get any email but I was accepted a couple weeks ago.

I withdrew my interview to SOMA after I got acceptances to a few schools closer to my hometown. But here is the email that I received yesterday.

Dear Applicant

Thank for your interest in the School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona. We look forward to seeing you on your scheduled interview day. We want to notify you that at this time all of our seats have been filled and we are interviewing pending an open seat in the class. If accepted after the interview and a seat does not open in 2014, you will be offered a seat by automatic deferment for 2015.

If you have any questions about your upcoming interview please contact Dolores Tafoya at 480.219.6025 or[email protected].

Sincerely,

Joyce Haynie, D.H.Sc., M.Ed.

Is anyone interviewing on 2/28????

I was originally suppose to interview 2/15.... however, my flight got canceled because of the east coast storm, and now I am going on the 28th.... I'm very upset because now the class is full and if I were to have went to the 2/15 interview, maybe I could've had a chance! Very frustrating! Anyway, I'm debating on going since the class is full and with slim chances of someone withdrawing from a CHC that I am interested in...

Are you still planning on attending? Do you think less people will attend future interviews since the class is full?

Also, if anyone knows... Does the class being full mean that they have accepted '100' students (if that's all they take) or does it mean they have '100' students whom have committed and paid the deposit?

I was originally suppose to interview 2/15.... however, my flight got canceled because of the east coast storm, and now I am going on the 28th.... I'm very upset because now the class is full and if I were to have went to the 2/15 interview, maybe I could've had a chance! Very frustrating! Anyway, I'm debating on going since the class is full and with slim chances of someone withdrawing from a CHC that I am interested in...

Are you still planning on attending? Do you think less people will attend future interviews since the class is full?

Also, if anyone knows... Does the class being full mean that they have accepted '100' students (if that's all they take) or does it mean they have '100' students whom have committed and paid the deposit?
Which chc are you interested in?

Just got an acceptance call from Dr. Haynie! I interviewed on Feb 15th and really loved the school! Super exciteddd, my friend got accepted 2 months ago, and I'm happy that I can join her!

Just wanted to clarify that I emailed Dolores about the email below and she said that it only applied to those who have not been interviewed. So if you interviewed with me on the 15th, your app will most likely be considered for 2014!

I withdrew my interview to SOMA after I got acceptances to a few schools closer to my hometown. But here is the email that I received yesterday.

Dear Applicant

Thank for your interest in the School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona. We look forward to seeing you on your scheduled interview day. We want to notify you that at this time all of our seats have been filled and we are interviewing pending an open seat in the class. If accepted after the interview and a seat does not open in 2014, you will be offered a seat by automatic deferment for 2015.

If you have any questions about your upcoming interview please contact Dolores Tafoya at 480.219.6025 or[email protected].

Sincerely,

Joyce Haynie, D.H.Sc., M.Ed.

Just got an acceptance call from Dr. Haynie! I interviewed on Feb 15th and really loved the school! Super exciteddd, my friend got accepted 2 months ago, and I'm happy that I can join her!

Just wanted to clarify that I emailed Dolores about the email below and she said that it only applied to those who have not been interviewed. So if you interviewed with me on the 15th, your app will most likely be considered for 2014!
Awesome! See you in July. Make sure you join the Facebook group and join us for the outdoor adventure meetup that's in the works. :)

I just got the call also! Looking at the CHC match list, only Ohio, is left. I wouldn't mind going there, but I was wondering if I could select it and still rank the other sites? Anyone have any info/insight on that?

I just got the call also! Looking at the CHC match list, only Ohio, is left. I wouldn't mind going there, but I was wondering if I could select it and still rank the other sites? Anyone have any info/insight on that?
If you are willing to go Ohio then choose and rank your other sites. You should get some of your top choices.
I just talked to Dr. Haynie and there will most definitely be movement especially after May 1st when the second deposit is due.

Congrats!!

I chose unwilling and ranked the ones I would attend. My friend did that too, because when she got accepted in December, Ohio and South Carolina were the only ones available. She got offered her second choice and recently was offered her first choice. Joyce also said she would do her best to accomodate :) hope this helps

I think you should still attend this interview because no one knows who's gonna drop out until the last moment. Up to this point, it's up to the committee to accept you or not. If this is your top choice, express this on to your interviewers. You can only benefit from going and taking this chance. It's frustrating but yeah we should not miss any opportunity to get accepted. Yes I will go to the 28th Interview. Hopefully we'll meet there! ;D GOod luck!

Congrats!!

I chose unwilling and ranked the ones I would attend. My friend did that too, because when she got accepted in December, Ohio and South Carolina were the only ones available. She got offered her second choice and recently was offered her first choice. Joyce also said she would do her best to accomodate :) hope this helps
Yeah, I chose Ohio, just in case there were no spots left, but I ranked the ones I was interested in. It's good to know that there is still a lot of movement waiting to happen.

If you are willing to go Ohio then choose and rank your other sites. You should get some of your top choices.
I just talked to Dr. Haynie and there will most definitely be movement especially after May 1st when the second deposit is due.

They WOULD make the second deposit due before MD waitlist turnover in May. Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is Dolores's email? No one else seems to be getting my emails lol

For those who have been accepted, how did you do the background check?

Arrived in Mesa this morning. I'm interviewing on Friday (2/28). Heading to the social at 5pm! :D

I'll be at the social tonight and interview tomorrow! Nervous for both!!

Like everyone else has mentioned in this thread, I really like that the social was pretty relaxed and it helped to talk with other people.

I was very impressed with the school and the faculty members are super nice :D

How was the interview? Any feedback? In the MMI are you able to talk to the interviewer? I have two MMI's and in one I was able to talk to the interviewer and in another one the interviewer was just silent while I talked for 8 minutes straight. Thank you so much!!