A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought the panel interview was pretty chilled and conversational. The faculty really wanted to get acquainted with the applicants so I thought they did a great job with the tour and presentation. For MMI, there were 3 stations. I think all they want to see was whether or not you are crazy so that wasn't too bad.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview hella late, at the end of this month. I read earlier in this thread that there is a hotel that offers a shuttle to the interview. Anyone please tell me which hotel? thank you! I know I am interviewing for the waitlist but I still have a little hope. Good luck to everyone!

I have an interview hella late, at the end of this month. I read earlier in this thread that there is a hotel that offers a shuttle to the interview. Anyone please tell me which hotel? thank you! I know I am interviewing for the waitlist but I still have a little hope. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that the admission committee is meeting today.

Reactions: 1 users
I stayed at Quality Inn Mesa which is a 5 min drive to ATSU. They have free wifi and free breakfast! I made friends with a guy who was driving so we carpooled to school for both days. I loved the experience. The area seems living friendly (no traffic, inexpensive housing, nice scenery). Good luck!

Hey all, new to the SDN social world. I just got an interview invite at the end of March as well, I applied a little late. I have poured over the last two years of ATSU posts (my top choice is ATSU)...it seems like a lot of those that interview do well and seem to get in. Can anyone speculate as to the percentages of interviewed/accepted? Love to start posting and get to know some of you, hopefully, with a good interview I can join you this summer!

When did you finish your secondary? Stats? I think I interview the same day as you.

Hey all, new to the SDN social world. I just got an interview invite at the end of March as well, I applied a little late. I have poured over the last two years of ATSU posts (my top choice is ATSU)...it seems like a lot of those that interview do well and seem to get in. Can anyone speculate as to the percentages of interviewed/accepted? Love to start posting and get to know some of you, hopefully, with a good interview I can join you this summer!
From what Dr. Haynie told me, they've filled all the seats for this years class (so technically you're interviewing for next years incoming class), but there should be a lot of movement within the next few months, so maybe if you're lucky you can sneak in for this year. I think the percentage accepted outright after an interview is 15-20%, this is just from observation. I interviewed on 2/15, there were about 50 ish people and asking around it seemed like there were about 10 ish seats still available...but I don't know, my powers of observation may be totally off. Either way, good luck at the interview, not that you need persuading from what you've said but ATSU does an unbelievable job at selling themselves.

From what Dr. Haynie told me, they've filled all the seats for this years class (so technically you're interviewing for next years incoming class), but there should be a lot of movement within the next few months, so maybe if you're lucky you can sneak in for this year. I think the percentage accepted outright after an interview is 15-20%, this is just from observation. I interviewed on 2/15, there were about 50 ish people and asking around it seemed like there were about 10 ish seats still available...but I don't know, my powers of observation may be totally off. Either way, good luck at the interview, not that you need persuading from what you've said but ATSU does an unbelievable job at selling themselves.
Thanks a bunch!

From what I heard it's more like 50-60% that get accepted. But then from those that are accepted only a portion matriculate.

Members don't see this ad :)
sGPA 3.4, overall 3.5, MCAT 8/8/8 I submitted secondary 12/18/13. Yours?
sGPA 3.52, cGPA 3.7 MCAT 26, I submitted I think in late Nov. I was given bad advice from my University counselors and told I had to wait to submit my AACOMAS until my second MCAT score came in, (Sept sitting) I wish I would have known It had to be verified first and I could have submitted 4-6 weeks earlier. Oh well, at least I got an interview here. Based on my study, The curriculum is awesome and I love the CHC idea. I am pretty stoked to be heading down to check it out. Did you apply to Touro NV?

sGPA 3.52, cGPA 3.7 MCAT 26, I submitted I think in late Nov. I was given bad advice from my University counselors and told I had to wait to submit my AACOMAS until my second MCAT score came in, (Sept sitting) I wish I would have known It had to be verified first and I could have submitted 4-6 weeks earlier. Oh well, at least I got an interview here. Based on my study, The curriculum is awesome and I love the CHC idea. I am pretty stoked to be heading down to check it out. Did you apply to Touro NV?

I did not meet their minimum MCAT requirement of 25. I am a medical assistant and I was going to retake the MCAT just so I can apply to more schools, but I was working full-time and didn't think I was going to do any better.

For those of you who interviewed on Feb 28, especially in East Coast, has any one received acceptance phone call or status change to acceptance?

For those of you who interviewed on Feb 28, especially in East Coast, has any one received acceptance phone call or status change to acceptance?
They just met this tuesday and I was told that you'll find out within 2-3weeks. So maybe sometime next week?

I'm from Ohio and I received an acceptance call Wednesday afternoon!! After receiving an e-mail and following the link to enter my ranking of CHCs, the class is still full so basically we're just waiting for others to drop out of their spots... :/

I'm from Ohio and I received an acceptance call Wednesday afternoon!! After receiving an e-mail and following the link to enter my ranking of CHCs, the class is still full so basically we're just waiting for others to drop out of their spots... :/

Thanks Nav,

Feb 28 interview date.
Any other acceptance beside that of nav13?
Any one too excited with acceptance that forgot to announce the news to the thread?

I'm kinda surprised that calls were sent out as early as last Wednesday. Previous calls seemed to be on Thurs/Friday? I do wonder though how many people were accepted last week and if any more calls will be made this week/next week. :ninja: . Looking back on this year's thread for it seems like if you weren't called within the first week , you get a package in the mail on the third week... :scared:

Interviewed 2/28. Swiftly rejected via email last Wednesday. I really thought it went well too. :(

Interviewed 2/28. Swiftly rejected via email last Wednesday. I really thought it went well too. :(
Andro,
Sorry to hear that. Even the strong or very strong candidates got multiple rejections.
Many interviewers were so nice and relax but vote no for the candidate.
Many interviewers looked so mean or investigative but vote yes for the candidate.
Thank you for sharing.

Interview date Feb 28,
Any one with this wednesday or last week decision, please share your result.

Thanks. One of my interviewers was definitely very aggressive. Really sad too, this school was at the top of my list and I really thought I fit the mission. Not gonna let it break me though. Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting.
Andro,
Sorry to hear that. Even the strong or very strong candidates got multiple rejections.
Many interviewers were so nice and relax but vote no for the candidate.
Many interviewers looked so mean or investigative but vote yes for the candidate.
Thank you for sharing.

A new CHC has been added for this years class, it's in Chicago! If you've been admitted check your emails. I think as a consequence, they've taken Hawaii off as a CHC site.

A new CHC has been added for this years class, it's in Chicago! If you've been admitted check your emails. I think as a consequence, they've taken Hawaii off as a CHC site.

so the people who choose Hawaii will now go to Chicago?

....or did they really just add ~ 10 more seats to this years class??:scared:

so the people who choose Hawaii will now go to Chicago?

....or did they really just add ~ 10 more seats to this years class??:scared:
From what I understand, no, the people that chose Hawaii will have to re-rank their sites, they won't be automatically be going to Chicago

Feb 28 interview:
No admission decision as of today? Too quiet!!!
No more seat available? No defer, alternate or wait list offer?

I think the class is full. They interviewed for replacement. Every month, some multiple acceptance people has to turn down all except one. SOMA will accept only a few slots gave up by those people. The rest must wait for those gave up.
Most MD schools dead line is May 1st something, that dead line will trigger more give up down to other MD and DO schools thus open more than a few seats / interviews later April and May and sometime June

From what I understand, no, the people that chose Hawaii will have to re-rank their sites, they won't be automatically be going to Chicago
Actually those that were assigned to Hawaii were automatically moved to Chicago. There should be a lot of movement happening though within the next few weeks.

Actually those that were assigned to Hawaii were automatically moved to Chicago. There should be a lot of movement happening though within the next few weeks.
I feel really bad for the people who picked Hawaii way back and are now stuck going to either a place with opposite weather or not getting a spot since all other sites are full.

My understanding is that they're guaranteed Chicago if they want it, they can stay in Hi if they choose (as the final SOMA students to rotate there).

Ok I promise you I have read almost all
Of this thread and last years.... My biggest concern is having to move around so much. I have a family and need to stay in the same general area. Can anyone comment on exactly how much you are moving around? I know
It differs from CHC to CHC... I am
Also worried about that. With interviewing for the accepted pending will I get stuck with a CHC then be forced to moving around. I know
I can decline, I'm just also thinking about the money spent on traveling to the interview. Thanks in advance!

Feb 28 interview date.
Any other acceptance beside that of nav13?
Any one too excited with acceptance that forgot to announce the news to the thread?

Interviewed 2/28 also. (Like you guessed it's been too hectic!) Email acceptance the following week. Good luck to all of you with upcoming interviews. Was as relaxed as an interview could be, I suppose. I had to remind myself too: just remember to keep breathing. They were a very kind and thoughtful staff.

Even though it's great to hear another CHC site has been added, it is too bad that they removed one in the middle of the student CHC site matching period.

Hello,

What are my chances? SOMA is my top choice, so I was wondering if anyone could offer their opinion?

2014-2015 admissions cycle.
- sGPA 3.00
- cGPA 3.10
- MCAT 26
- Took one graduate level class, Gross Anatomy at the John A. Burns SOM. Got a B.
- 2 MD shadow (Urologist and Pediatric Surgeon).
- 1 DO shadow (Family Medicine). This doctor works at Hawaii's CHC. She's a preceptor and teaches 2nd year OMM. She let me attend the class, the students were amazing. She has written a LOR for me.
- Have another DO LOR. Only a mentor, did not shadow (Retired).
- Publication. Illustrated a chapter in a college level textbook. The chapter was on the reproductive system.
- Publication. Psychological research concerning stress related illnesses seen in first responders. Findings presented at Utah Legislation Conference.
- Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
- Volunteer: Emergency Room, Boy Scouts of America-Asst. Scout Master, Hurricane Katrina cleanup (slept in a tent with other individuals who were part of the cleanup team), homeless shelter, play ground construction, medical supplies drives, and Church involvements.
- Phlebotomist at plasma center.
- Research Tech. for pharmaceuticals company.
- URM Native American (Lumbee Tribe).
- First gen. High School grad.
- 29 years old. Married with one child. Perhaps it will show that I am mature; I don't know.

I had a Hometown Endorsement from the previous CHC director, but when he resigned it was reneged.

Thanks!

Hello,

What are my chances? SOMA is my top choice, so I was wondering if anyone could offer their opinion?

- sGPA 3.00
- cGPA 3.10
- MCAT 26
- Took one graduate level class, Gross Anatomy at the John A. Burns SOM. Got a B.
- 1 DO shadow (Family Medicine). This doctor works at Hawaii's CHC. She's a preceptor and teaches 2nd year OMM. She let me attend the class, the students were amazing. She has written a LOR for me.
- Publication. Illustrated a chapter in a college level textbook. The chapter was on the reproductive system.
- Publication. Psychological research concerning stress related illnesses seen in first responders. Findings presented at Utah Legislation Conference.
- Volunteer: Emergency Room, Boy Scouts of America-Asst. Scout Master, Hurricane Katrina cleanup (slept in a tent with other individuals who were part of the cleanup team), homeless shelter, play ground construction, medical supplies drives, and Church involvements.
- 29 years old. Married with one child. Perhaps it will show that I am mature; I don't know.

I had a Hometown Endorsement from the previous CHC director, but when he resigned it was reneged.

Thanks!
Metoo,
I think you will have a hard time finding time to go to the interviews.
I think there are very few URM Native American have your stats. If you have 100 or 50% Native American blood, you will have a very high chance to be accepted at SOMA and a few more schools.
You should apply to a few lower tier MD schools, not just DO schools.

Metoo,
I think you will have a hard time finding time to go to the interviews.
I think there are very few URM Native American have your stats. If you have 100 or 50% Native American blood, you will have a very high chance to be accepted at SOMA and a few more schools.
You should apply to a few lower tier MD schools, not just DO schools.
Thank you river10 for the reply!
I'm 50% Native American,btw. I just wanted to say that you made my day, and then some!

Just got my interview invite today for an interview on the 18th! Any interview advice?

I know someone with lower stats and not native american that got endorsed and got accepted. I strongly believe you have a really good chance.

Hello,

- sGPA 3.00
- cGPA 3.10
- MCAT 26

Thanks!

I feel really bad for the people who picked Hawaii way back and are now stuck going to either a place with opposite weather or not getting a spot since all other sites are full.
Can this be confirmed? Anyone know if there is a chance they would add it again as one of their community health sites?

Last edited:
Can this be confirmed? This program was my first choice because of the community health center in Waianae, HI. Anyone know if there is a chance they would add it again as one of their community health sites?
I think the CHC is gone for good because university of Hawaii is expanding

I think the CHC is gone for good because university of Hawaii is expanding

A few years ago there was a CHC in Alabama, but since ACOM opened up the school had to find another site to replace it (Washington DC)

If i recall correctly, the upcoming 2nd years who are signed up at the Hawaii CHC will be able to stay there and graduate as the last class, but no students from the class of 2018 will. Instead, the school opened up a new site in Chicago for 2018+.

So no more Hawaii for those who wanted 3 years of nice beaches :(

A few years ago there was a CHC in Alabama, but since ACOM opened up the school had to find another site to replace it (Washington DC)

If i recall correctly, the upcoming 2nd years who are signed up at the Hawaii CHC will be able to stay there and graduate as the last class, but no students from the class of 2018 will. Instead, the school opened up a new site in Chicago for 2018+.

So no more Hawaii for those who wanted 3 years of nice beaches :(
Really? This has been 100% confirmed?

I know someone with lower stats and not native american that got endorsed and got accepted. I strongly believe you have a really good chance.
Thanks for the reply postbac87! My endorsement was reneged because of a change in CHC directors. But even without the endorsement, do you think I have a good chance?

Really? This has been 100% confirmed?
When i got the acceptance email for 'pending open seat', the Hawaii CHC was taken off and replaced with Chicago. It seems that those who were already signed up for Hawaii had to rerank their sites, but got first dibs for Chicago.

You can call admissions to make sure though.

When i got the acceptance email for 'pending open seat', the Hawaii CHC was taken off and replaced with Chicago. It seems that those who were already signed up for Hawaii had to rerank their sites, but got first dibs for Chicago.

You can call admissions to make sure though.
Thanks for the info!