A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yay the page is finally made!

Good luck to everyone applying, I will be starting the same as all of you accepted as I deferred my acceptance to 2015. If you have any questions about the campus or anything else, feel free to PM me! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello

I am a current student at one of the community campuses which you will attend from second year to fourth year. If any of you have any questions about the school or anything else let me know and I would be glad to help.

Hello

I am a current student at one of the community campuses which you will attend from second year to fourth year. If any of you have any questions about the school or anything else let me know and I would be glad to help.
What would you estimate living expenses to be? I was hoping to not take out more than 24,000 in loans for living

In Arizona you can find a decent one-two bedroom apartment for about $700 per month. Some people preferred to live in houses which can be more and farther away. Electricity is the expensive utility which can be up to $200 per month during the summer. Depending on your other needs price may vary. The school likes for you to be "business casual" and that can cost money. If you want to buy the books that can be about $1500 for first and second year. Food is not as expensive as some places. A car is advisable as well, but some people use a bicycle to get to school.

If you have a specific expense you are looking at please let me know.

In Arizona you can find a decent one-two bedroom apartment for about $700 per month. Some people preferred to live in houses which can be more and farther away. Electricity is the expensive utility which can be up to $200 per month during the summer. Depending on your other needs price may vary. The school likes for you to be "business casual" and that can cost money. If you want to buy the books that can be about $1500 for first and second year. Food is not as expensive as some places. A car is advisable as well, but some people use a bicycle to get to school.

It was more as to month-to-month living expenses question (rent, utilities, food) and what would be enough to cover it. I need to start budgeting soon since I'm already accepted. Would you say $1800 is enough to cover general expenses (NOT including books/clothes/car.)

That would most likely be enough, but it would not leave a lot of room for any extra money. Groceries are not the most expensive in Arizona. My cable and internet was $70/month and I have already discussed the rest. It is more of the random expenses such as going out with classmates, or any other monthly bills (car loan, credit cards, etc) that might make that budget difficult.

In my class, many people took out the full budget. Whether that was the right move I cannot say.

That would most likely be enough, but it would not leave a lot of room for any extra money. Groceries are not the most expensive in Arizona. My cable and internet was $70/month and I have already discussed the rest. It is more of the random expenses such as going out with classmates, or any other monthly bills (car loan, credit cards, etc) that might make that budget difficult.

In my class, many people took out the full budget. Whether that was the right move I cannot say.
How much is the full budget amount? Thanks for your help, by the way.

200$/month on electricity??

When you live in the middle of the desert with 100F+ degree weather, you probably need that AC to prevent a literal meltdown. Apparently the average price for electricity in the summer month ranges ~$100-200, and a more reasonable ~$50 when it's not summer.

Current first year here. Would be happy to answer any questions that people have. Best of luck to everyone applying!

How much is the full budget amount? Thanks for your help, by the way.

So the full amount you can take out is about $88,000. Around half is tuition and the other half can be used for living expenses. Tuition has risen every year so this number may increase in this up coming year as well.

That is more of a maximum. I never paid more than $150 during the summer and I was paying roughly $70 in the winter, as Shinytofu suggested.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the full amount you can take out is about $88,000. Around half is tuition and the other half can be used for living expenses. Tuition has risen every year so this number may increase in this up coming year as well.

That is more of a maximum. I never paid more than $150 during the summer and I was paying roughly $70 in the winter, as Shinytofu suggested.
40,000 seems like a bit much for living costs, but I understand some people have families and other financial obligations... Thanks for your help!

Hello

I was wondering if you could give me some advice? I'm sorry for such a lengthy post. Thank you for your time.

Below in bold type is a post I wrote two months ago in the Osteopathic Medical School Specific Discussion. Three things have changed since then. So I retook the MCAT (with the hope of doing better). My AAMC practice test average is a 29. I know the general rule is to expect to get around three points lower than your practice average, so I might be back at 26 again. Lets hope not.

My GPA's have also changed. I think I must have entered the course work incorrectly. My sGPA is a 2.96 (very very sad) and my cGPA is 3.11.

It seems like the sGPA golden rules are competitive sGPA starts at 3.4 and anything below a 3.0, don't even bother. I know that a high MCAT score will help, but what if I get a 26 again?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Metoo

2014-2015 admissions cycle.
- sGPA 3.00 (changed)
- cGPA 3.10 (changed)
- MCAT 26 (pending new score)
- Took one graduate level class, Gross Anatomy at the John A. Burns SOM. Got a B.
- 2 MD shadow (Urologist and Pediatric Surgeon).
- 1 DO shadow (Family Medicine). This doctor works at Hawaii's CHC. She's a preceptor and teaches 2nd year OMM. She let me attend the class, the students were amazing. She has written a LOR for me.
- Have another DO LOR. Only a mentor, did not shadow (Retired).
- Publication. Illustrated a chapter in a college level textbook. The chapter was on the reproductive system.
- Publication. Psychological research concerning stress related illnesses seen in first responders. Findings presented at Utah Legislation Conference.
- Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
- Volunteer: Emergency Room, Boy Scouts of America-Asst. Scout Master, Hurricane Katrina cleanup (slept in a tent with other individuals who were part of the cleanup team), homeless shelter, play ground construction, medical supplies drives, and Church involvements.
- Phlebotomist at plasma center.
- Research Tech. for pharmaceuticals company.
- URM Native American (Lumbee Tribe).
- First gen. High School grad.
- 29 years old. Married with one child. Perhaps it will show that I am mature; I don't know.
- Hometown Endorsement

I was wondering if you could give me some advice? I'm sorry for such a lengthy post. Thank you for your time.

Below in bold type is a post I wrote two months ago in the Osteopathic Medical School Specific Discussion. Three things have changed since then. So I retook the MCAT (with the hope of doing better). My AAMC practice test average is a 29. I know the general rule is to expect to get around three points lower than your practice average, so I might be back at 26 again. Lets hope not.

My GPA's have also changed. I think I must have entered the course work incorrectly. My sGPA is a 2.96 (very very sad) and my cGPA is 3.11.

It seems like the sGPA golden rules are competitive sGPA starts at 3.4 and anything below a 3.0, don't even bother. I know that a high MCAT score will help, but what if I get a 26 again?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Metoo

2014-2015 admissions cycle.
- sGPA 3.00 (changed)
- cGPA 3.10 (changed)
- MCAT 26 (pending new score)
- Took one graduate level class, Gross Anatomy at the John A. Burns SOM. Got a B.
- 2 MD shadow (Urologist and Pediatric Surgeon).
- 1 DO shadow (Family Medicine). This doctor works at Hawaii's CHC. She's a preceptor and teaches 2nd year OMM. She let me attend the class, the students were amazing. She has written a LOR for me.
- Have another DO LOR. Only a mentor, did not shadow (Retired).
- Publication. Illustrated a chapter in a college level textbook. The chapter was on the reproductive system.
- Publication. Psychological research concerning stress related illnesses seen in first responders. Findings presented at Utah Legislation Conference.
- Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
- Volunteer: Emergency Room, Boy Scouts of America-Asst. Scout Master, Hurricane Katrina cleanup (slept in a tent with other individuals who were part of the cleanup team), homeless shelter, play ground construction, medical supplies drives, and Church involvements.
- Phlebotomist at plasma center.
- Research Tech. for pharmaceuticals company.
- URM Native American (Lumbee Tribe).
- First gen. High School grad.
- 29 years old. Married with one child. Perhaps it will show that I am mature; I don't know.
- Hometown Endorsement

I am going assume your question is what are chances for this school based off your information?

Last I checked the average MCAT was 27, and the average science and cumulative GPA was around 3.3. Since then the MCAT has gone up but I don't know the exact number. With your GPA you wouldn't be a "shoe in" but you would be eliminated in the first round. Last time I asked the cut off for primaries was around 2.75 GPA but it has probably gone up and be closer to a 3, so you would be close to making it to the secondary.

If you get a secondary application I have little doubt that you would have a problem making it to the interview. All you would have to do is further emphasize your connection to the CHC while describing how you served the underserved and potentially discuss how you plan to serve your tribe in the future since many Native tribes are underserved.

After that the interview is what you make of it and if you can further emphasize those points you have a chance of getting in. I have seen many people with lower MCATs, and some people even in my class with less than a 3.0 GPA. The biggest challenge would be to make it past the primary application with the cutoff. If you make it passed that then you can really shine at this school since they really value the person more than the numbers.

If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask.

I am going assume your question is what are chances for this school based off your information?

Last I checked the average MCAT was 27, and the average science and cumulative GPA was around 3.3. Since then the MCAT has gone up but I don't know the exact number. With your GPA you wouldn't be a "shoe in" but you would be eliminated in the first round. Last time I asked the cut off for primaries was around 2.75 GPA but it has probably gone up and be closer to a 3, so you would be close to making it to the secondary.

If you get a secondary application I have little doubt that you would have a problem making it to the interview. All you would have to do is further emphasize your connection to the CHC while describing how you served the underserved and potentially discuss how you plan to serve your tribe in the future since many Native tribes are underserved.

After that the interview is what you make of it and if you can further emphasize those points you have a chance of getting in. I have seen many people with lower MCATs, and some people even in my class with less than a 3.0 GPA. The biggest challenge would be to make it past the primary application with the cutoff. If you make it passed that then you can really shine at this school since they really value the person more than the numbers.

If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you for replying to my post. SOMA is my top choice. I was reading their website and it said that everyone with a minimum cumulative and science GPA of 2.8 will get a secondary application.
Does that mean (at least for SOMA) that if you get a secondary application that it's not so much about the numbers anymore? Thank you again for taking the time to respond. You've been really helpful.

Thank you for replying to my post. SOMA is my top choice. I was reading their website and it said that everyone with a minimum cumulative and science GPA of 2.8 will get a secondary application.
Does that mean (at least for SOMA) that if you get a secondary application that it's not so much about the numbers anymore? Thank you again for taking the time to respond. You've been really helpful.

My true knowledge with the inner workings of the application process is limited to what I have asked and what the administrative people have told me. With that said, numbers are always important, and they want to see if you can keep up with the coursework. I do believe that SOMA has shown that they care about numbers only to a certain point. Now the school is fairly new, and over time as the application pool gets more competitive then naturally the numbers required will go up. What is most important for SOMA though is to demonstrate your history and desire to serve the underserved. The secondary application always asks about your experience with the underserved so that is your moment to shine. Then it is just the interview to show them that you would fit in which is very subjective.

I hope that helps.

Hey all, I am currently working on my second application cycle. I applied late (primaries in Oct) last year. ATSU-SOMA gave me an interview last year and I am still waiting for a seat...waitlist. It is an awesome school and I am dying to go here, just a quick question: For a second time applicant, I am using a new personal statement and updated some information on additional things I have done; but on the AACOMAS application do I need to edit every one of my extracurricular activities? I feel like they are already pretty solidly written. Any advice? Hopefully I will see you guys here soon!

Last edited:
Hey all, I am currently working on my second application cycle. I applied late (primaries in Oct) last year. ATSU-SOMA gave me an interview last year and I am still waiting for a seat...waitlist. It is an awesome school and I am dying to go here, just a quick question: For a second time applicant, I am using a new personal statement and updated some information on additional things I have done; but on the AACOMAS application do I need to edit every one of my extracurricular activities? I feel like they are already pretty solidly written. Any advice? Hopefully I will see you guys here soon!
Were you wait listed or are you pending an open seat? And no, you don't need to change everything

I was waitlisted. Hopefully I make it this year, so while I wait, I'm doing applications now to get my apps in earlier this year.
Were you wait listed or are you pending an open seat? And no, you don't need to change everything

I don't even know if anyone moves off the wait list with how many people are on the "pending open seat" list.

Hey everyone, 3rd year (soon to be 4th year) SOMA student here; I've been fairly active in past year's threads so I thought I'd make myself available to anyone who has questions they'd like to ask.

Think of it as "Ask Me Anything" SOMA style.

Hey everyone, 3rd year (soon to be 4th year) SOMA student here; I've been fairly active in past year's threads so I thought I'd make myself available to anyone who has questions they'd like to ask.

Think of it as "Ask Me Anything" SOMA style.

I am considering applying here. What made you choose this school? Is there anything you wish you knew prior to attending?

I am also currently a SOMA student so I will give you my take.

I was blown away at the interview with the faculty being genuinely nice and helpful people. I enjoyed the concept of the curriculum with the 1-3 science to clinical as opposed to the 2-2 that is traditionally done. I also was a fan of the mission statement to serve the underserved and their efforts to address it.

I wish I would have known how difficult the schooling was at the CHC sites. There is a lack of cohesive communication between SOMA and the CHC's. This leads to confusion and various rules that are applied to some sites but not others. This can be very frustrating and lonely, since this medical school ends up being a class of 108 first year, 10 second year and 1 third and fourth year. I think you have to be a very strong individual learner to do well here.

I am considering applying here. What made you choose this school? Is there anything you wish you knew prior to attending?

I chose the school because of the community health center focus. I had already been quite involved with a CHC before applying and the CEO of that CHC told me about the school and offered to write me a hometown endorsement.

As far as things I wish I'd known. I guess I wish I knew a bit more about the CHC's before committing to one. My class went through a match process; and I was all stuck on deciding which site would be the best for my goals. I should have just tried going where my friends went.

What apartments would you guys suggest for this school? I was considering something prefurnished so I don't have to haul my items across the country. Was just hoping for some opinions on the apartments near campus.

What apartments would you guys suggest for this school? I was considering something prefurnished so I don't have to haul my items across the country. Was just hoping for some opinions on the apartments near campus.

Many of the apartments near campus are good options, although I don't know of many furnished ones. Many people stay at Colonial Grand which is about 1 mile away and has a back road entrance to the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Manotter could you elaborate on this? Examples?
"I wish I would have known how difficult the schooling was at the CHC sites. There is a lack of cohesive communication between SOMA and the CHC's. This leads to confusion and various rules that are applied to some sites but not others".

Manotter could you elaborate on this? Examples?
"I wish I would have known how difficult the schooling was at the CHC sites. There is a lack of cohesive communication between SOMA and the CHC's. This leads to confusion and various rules that are applied to some sites but not others".

The CHC's are truly groups of 8 or 10 people with a one way communication from the main campus. There are a lot of email's with rules that the school tells each campus to do but the main campus doesn't seem to pay heed to the responses back to them. This leads to various CHC's picking and choosing which rules to enforce which leads to some sites having an easier/harder time than other sites. There have been difficulties with Step 1 study schedules because of this for some, but others not so much, or rotations/opportunities depending on which CHC you are at. For most people it doesn't matter too much. It ends up being one of those "grass is always greener" scenarios and if you don't have much contact with other CHC's (which many do not) then you would never know.

So I have heard (correct me if I'm wrong) that Midwestern is a better choice in terms of specializing as a DO compared to ATSU. Is this what other people have heard? I still don't know what I want to do (applying this year), but it's good to have an idea of what to expect.

So I have heard (correct me if I'm wrong) that Midwestern is a better choice in terms of specializing as a DO compared to ATSU. Is this what other people have heard? I still don't know what I want to do (applying this year), but it's good to have an idea of what to expect.

I always found that to be a tough question to answer. I have not looked at Midwestern's match lists recently (I barely look at ATSU-SOMA's). On average one school can have a group of graduates that might match more diversely than another, but this often varies from year to year. Some schools might have more of an "in" to some programs, but I am a firm believer that it depends on you as an individual. Applying statistics individually is difficult, especially when it comes to specialties in medicine, which you know will change over time.

With that said, I think SOMA students tend to match well.

That's good to hear. I love SOMA's location in Gilbert, plus half the rotation sites sound amazing. I really would love to go there if it works out.

They are releasing the CHC placements for those of us already accepted in 2019 pretty soon. I was told we would hear back July 1st. It's kind of nice getting first choice.

That's cool! I hope I can do rotations somewhere in AZ. Let us know where you choose ;)

That's cool! I hope I can do rotations somewhere in AZ. Let us know where you choose ;)
I already chose Flagstaff. My site is pretty much guaranteed unless everyone else chose Flagstaff also.

I already chose Flagstaff. My site is pretty much guaranteed unless everyone else chose Flagstaff also.

With ~20 people still on the pending list for auto deferred for next year, I'd imagine certain sites will be filled up more than others even before the cycle begins.

It seems like the trend is that there's actually ~90 open seats each year for new applicants because of that.

With ~20 people still on the pending list for auto deferred for next year, I'd imagine certain sites will be filled up more than others even before the cycle begins.

It seems like the trend is that there's actually ~90 open seats each year for new applicants because of that.
I'm not worried. Literally half of the people would have to choose Flagstaff for that to even happen, and they would all have to be ranked above me. But I guess we'll see July 1st.

EDIT: I am one of those pending an open seat. That's why I am guaranteed my CHC.

Got secondary as well (got KCOM an hour before). I think the essays are the same so 2 for 1. Woo hoo!

They aren't. SOMA has a pretty lengthy essay portion.
Yeah you're not joking... here are the secondary prompts. Ugh. No offense, I hate doing essays lol....

Explain any prolonged periods of non-academic activity during or after full-time enrollment in formal coursework.
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

If you are currently not enrolled in courses, explain how your current activities will prepare you for the academic rigor of a medical school curriculum.
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

In your future role as an osteopathic physician, how do you envision incorporating osteopathic philosophy and practice?(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

Which one of your past volunteer experiences is the best indicator of your intent to serve an underserved population at some point in your medical career? Explain why.

Which one of your past experiences taught you the character traits that are essential for a physician? What did you learn?

Describe any work-experiences or courses that have helped prepare you to be an independent and self-motivated student. For example, how do you know that you are an "adult learner'? How do you plan to be successful in the SOMA curriculum?(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

There is also the "verifiable" request in the Clinical, Volunteer, or Community Service section.

List verifiable volunteer clinic/health experience (for example at a community health center, IHS clinic, physician’s office, hospital, or something similar). Community health center and IHS experience must be verified by letter from the center.

List any other, specifically community-service-type, programs in which you have participated (if any). Any (principally non-medical) activity that is non-compensated and volunteer, other than observation/shadowing, is acceptable. Must be verifiable.

Submitted my secondary! I wonder how early they start giving out interview invites :O