A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I couldn't find any info on student hosts. Would have been ideal for costs. I flew into PHX and rented car. Didn't have hotel when I landed. Found Dobson Inn for $59.99 plus tax and fees. You can probably find cheaper through AirBNB. Good luck!
Thanks for the Info.I am very excited about this interview!.I definitely fit very well with the mission of this school.. I think am gonna try to ask Admissions office to connect me with a current first year . I wanna learn more about the school, and since my interview is on a Saturday, we don't have that social thing that Friday's interview have usually the night before, which I find very important...especially if u trying to get more info from current students

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed here on Friday and it was an awesome experience. For people that are wondering about how full the class, one of the admissions people said that after my interview date their class is most likely going to be full, but she also said there is always a lot of movement in the next 2-3 months.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it generally take to hear back about which CHC you've been put into after you submit your ranking?

I believe it depends on your ranking and whether or not a spot is available in that CHC.

Thanks. I got the Chicago one... I know this is a new addition to SOMA's CHC's, so does anyone have any information about this site?

Thanks. I got the Chicago one... I know this is a new addition to SOMA's CHC's, so does anyone have any information about this site?

From what I was told at the interview, the rotation sites are still being worked out! Not a lot of information given it seems.

From what I was told at the interview, the rotation sites are still being worked out! Not a lot of information given it seems.

That's a bit concerning... Hopefully they will work everything out and update us before the final deposit so I can make a more informed decision on which school to attend.

Do you mean where people are going or which sites will be available (like they might get rid of a CHC site and replace it with another, because that's what they did to Hawaii last year)? Because this is kind of vague and confusing. If you mean where people are going, people can move up in their CHC rankings all the way up to July depending on whether people matriculate or not.

Do you mean where people are going or which sites will be available (like they might get rid of a CHC site and replace it with another, because that's what they did to Hawaii last year)? Because this is kind of vague and confusing. If you mean where people are going, people can move up in their CHC rankings all the way up to July depending on whether people matriculate or not.

No. Just specifically the Chicago CHC. It seems to be in the process of nailing down the details still.

Congrats! Does everyone usually get notified on the same day? I interviewed 02/06 as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Does everyone usually get notified on the same day? I interviewed 02/06 as well

Nope. The range of notification is literally from half a week to 6 weeks. Usually it's 2-4 weeks, as they said. So don't worry if you haven't gotten any word yet :)

So how do you decide between LMU and SOMA?
I really do love the systems learning format at SOMA. I know the traditional format is more "proven" to be successful, but I think it is better for me. I also want to be close to the midwest (and in an urban setting), so I put Chicago as my #1 choice for CHC sites- something thats not available at DCOM. Tennessee was incredibly beautiful and the facilities and staff were very conducive to success. Both of these schools are great. Its a hard decision!

guys, for those who flew into phoenix, how did you get to Mesa?Is it easier to use that shuttle mentioned in the ii email, renting a car or is there any public transportation? How much did it cost to rent a car? or is there anyone here driving, I wouldn't mind chipping in for gas...flying into mesa next friday for the Saturday 21st interview.

I live in Mesa and will be interviewing the 21st also. Public transit in the Phoenix area is not great. There is the light rail, but it stops just as you get into Mesa. I'd say a rental car is your best bet, but it depends on where you're staying. The school is located just off a major freeway that runs from Phoenix to Mesa. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

guys, for those who flew into phoenix, how did you get to Mesa?Is it easier to use that shuttle mentioned in the ii email, renting a car or is there any public transportation? How much did it cost to rent a car? or is there anyone here driving, I wouldn't mind chipping in for gas...flying into mesa next friday for the Saturday 21st interview.
I used the shuttle last year and I liked it. It's convenient.

Interviewed last week. No word yet. Felt like MMIs and Interview went amazing! Even though I have been accepted at another school that I love, I am open to considering SOMA even with the higher tuition and novel curriculum. Although, if accepted, not sure my couple preferred CHCs will have seats available. Fingers crossed though!

Interviewed last week. No word yet. Felt like MMIs and Interview went amazing! Even though I have been accepted at another school that I love, I am open to considering SOMA even with the higher tuition and novel curriculum. Although, if accepted, not sure my couple preferred CHCs will have seats available. Fingers crossed though!
Do they give any indication on the status of CHC's at the interview?

Do they give any indication on the status of CHC's at the interview?

Not much indicated at all. The Brooklyn CHC seems to be one of more popular from what was inferred. But this late in the cycle most of the CHC seats are taken, regardless. There is going to be a last minute shake out with accepted students going with other schools and forfeiting deposits.

When I signed up last week, the only two available were OH and SC. Not sure how many seats at each.

If you check the Near North Health systems website, there is a list of all of the health centers (9ish) throughout the metro. My guess is that students would be rotating around those sites.

Guys, After calling the shuttle service recommended, I realized it doesn't go where I'll be staying this coming Friday. Thanks to @drummermedic I have a ride from Phoenix to Mesa on Friday night. Anyone interviewing this Saturday the 21st who is catching a cab sfter the interview, we could split the cost of the cab... or is there anyone willing to give me a ride back to the airport ( I would pay for gas), my flight from phoenix is that same night at 9:15 pm but I would leave Mesa whatever time end up working out. Thanks

I just got an email a half hour ago saying that I have been selected as an alternate. Interviewed 2/6/2015. I'm assuming this is the same as getting waitlisted? I'm kinda disappointed but hopeful. What are the chances of getting accepted off the alternate list? I'm wondering what I should do at this point as I'm not expecting any more interviews and I have no acceptances in hand. Are they receptive to letters of intent?

Hey all! Interviewing this Saturday. Does anyone have any idea which locations are still available for years MS2-4? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the El Rio Clinic in Tucson or up in Surprise so I can be near my fiance!

I interviewed on 2-6 and have been placed on the alternate list as well. I am disappointed too, I really love this school.

Would anyone who has been through the application process at SOMA in previous years be able to comment on whether students placed on this alternate list tend to gain acceptances or not? And if so, when do they tend to hear back?

In the mean time I will try to remain hopeful!
Thanks!

For those that have been placed on waitlist, I have heard that it is a good place to be since there will be a LOT of movement later on in the cycle. At least you did not get rejected. Don't lose hope yet because you will most likely get in if you are high on the waitlist. I hope this provides some comfort in the stressful moments.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed the 2/06, the same time as some of you, so I am not a current student at ATSU yet. But I do have a friend who interviewed earlier and is now on the waitlist. I am not sure if you could actually know your position on the waitlist but I do know that because ATSU's academic year starts before other schools that there will be a forced decision on a lot of applicants which will mean a lot of movement sooner. As for your question if it is still "early," I believe ATSU'S class is almost full since their academic year starts sooner and thus their application cycle is shorter and near an end. But that should not mean you will not get in because accepted applicants will soon be forced to decide to attend, not attend, or defer their acceptance for next year. Don't lose hope. I was in the same situation as you guys/girls and I just wanted to stress that waitlist is better than rejection.

Interviewing this Saturday! Sounds like we're just interviewing for the waitlist now.

Good luck on your interviews! When I interviewed in late January I recall them saying the class was 3/4 full and since there is only two CHC left, I'm assuming the class is only a few spots from becoming full.

Good luck on your interviews! When I interviewed in late January I recall them saying the class was 3/4 full and since there is only two CHC left, I'm assuming the class is only a few spots from becoming full.
Saved the best for last.

Reactions: 2 users
I am a current student. In my class many people were accepted from the wait list, I want to say upward of 10? But this can occur very late. I knew at least one person who was told the day before orientation and another person on the third day of orientation. So if you are flexible than you can get off of the list and into the class.

I wonder how many acceptances they gave out since I can only see waitlists...man, this is not sending a good vibe for people like us interviewing on Saturday. I am assuming the class is not full yet though, cause I think at some point interviewees received an email informing that they would be accepted pending open spot last year? right?

I wonder how many acceptances they gave out since I can only see waitlists...man, this is not sending a good vibe for people like us interviewing on Saturday. I am assuming the class is not full yet though, cause I think at some point interviewees received an email informing that they would be accepted pending open spot last year? right?
I read the same thing. I'm in the same boat as you, wonder if interviewing at this point is to gain a spot on the wait list. Since there hasn't been an official email stating this, there very well could be spots available, especially as students make final decisions on other offers.

Reactions: 1 users
Of course there are still seats open. Since CHC availability directly correlates to seats remaining, there should be at max 22 seats. 22!!! So go into your interview with confidence and do your best. Best of luck to all.

Of course there are still seats open. Since CHC availability directly correlates to seats remaining, there should be at max 22 seats. 22!!! So go into your interview with confidence and do your best. Best of luck to all.
That doesn't mean that all the seats are open at those locations.

And I don't know about waitlisted people, but there are a lot of people who get accepted pending an open seat, which is different than being waitlisted, and a lot of people move from that list.

After reading previous years' threads, it appears that there are three "waitlists": 1) accepted pending open seat 2) high priority waitlist 3) alternate list. Is my understanding correct or am I complete off my rocker?
Well I don't consider accepted pending an open seat a wait list, because you are accepted for the next cycle if a seat doesn't open up. There wasn't an alternate list when I interviewed last April (not that I remember anyway)

So, it sounds like they'll accept 10+ students from the remaining interview dates, thus filling the class, then begin accepting applicants that are pending (who have the option to defer until next year) before going to the waitlist/alternate list?
Basically

At the interview today, we were assured there are still open seats. At one point Dean K said they were full, but admissions said that was incorrect. They will notify us if all the seats are taken. On a similar note, 38 students are being rolled over from last year's application cycle. I will say also, SOMA's curriculum is very unique and I think would work best for me personally. Really liked the school overall. A lot of great aspects.

If it makes anyone feel better, I interviewed 2/28 last year (after they gave us the "class is full email"), got accepted pending open seat 2 weeks later, and got a slot in the class June 15th.
I think there's 2-3 official interview sessions left, and they'll continue to interview/accept/alternate/reject people. Keep in mind that you're internally ranked after pending seat acceptance, so you might be 'accepted pending' in March, but people who interviewed in April could/will actually get in quicker if the interviewers like you better, fyi.

On a side note, most applicants came from urban hometowns, so of course most want to return to a similar environment (aka Brooklyn, Chicago, DC, Seattle, Portland) - that's why those sites are so popular, while Ohio and SC are known as the 'dead end CHCs' (students get the option of switching CHCs during the year, but if you're in Ohio/SC, good luck....) But then again these two sites (apparently) have the best board scores and rotation sites, so gotta factor in social life in the city vs the country lifestyle....

From what I've been told, almost everyone lives in Colonial Grand. It's a mile from campus.

The popular areas to apartment in are:
Colonial Grand - second closest to school @ 1 mile , but more expensive than the others. most well known, so most classmates live here
San Angelin - closest to school @ .9 miles, but is meant for low-income families, so not as fabulous as colonial grand
San Montego - gated community 2 miles away, closer to malls, food, shopping centers, cheaper than the others
Solana - dunno about this one, but is gated and has a handful of classmates who live here

each has their pros and cons, but i don't recommend colonial grant or solana cuz of the scorpions :laugh: