A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I suppose that those on the alternate list are similarly ranked according to a score they receive after the interview. are both gpa/mcat and interview performance factored into this score?

Considering that my stats were around 3.4/25, i noticed a trend of people with higher GPAs/MCATs/masters/more research/more life experience who got off the pending list before I did.
looking back, this school seems to really like those who do well on the interview and have lots of life experience. <5 people came directly after undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed here this Saturday Feb 21st...awesome school with a great mission. They tell you right away that they are about graduating students who will go out and fight healthcare disparities observed in our communities, especially the under served ones. The faculty members, and the admissions office staff were really welcoming and nice. The Dean is pretty awesome, such a cool lady, down to earth and easy going. She actually walked around throughout the interview day and talked to interviewees. Fingers crossed, hopefully AT SOMA will show me some love :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The popular areas to apartment in are:
Colonial Grand - second closest to school @ 1 mile , but more expensive than the others. most well known, so most classmates live here
San Angelin - closest to school @ .9 miles, but is meant for low-income families, so not as fabulous as colonial grand
San Montego - gated community 2 miles away, closer to malls, food, shopping centers, cheaper than the others
Solana - dunno about this one, but is gated and has a handful of classmates who live here

each has their pros and cons, but i don't recommend colonial grant or solana cuz of the scorpions :laugh:
Don't most Arizona apartments have scorpion problems?

I wouldn't say that. Born and raised in Mesa and it really depends on the location. I would imagine most apartment complexes provide pest
control and you shouldn't worry about it. I've been stung as a child and teenager. It's more annoying than dangerous as an adult.

Reactions: 1 user
After a long wait being complete early August, I interviewed 2/21 and just received a call from Dr. Haynie telling me I have been accepted! I am so excited about this school and curriculum.

Reactions: 8 users
put on alternate list here...but with this school offering "acceptance pending open seat", do people on the wait list even stand a chance at all? Anyone know anything about this at all?

accepted!! interviewed 2/21, got a phone call.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't most Arizona apartments have scorpion problems?

The school is surrounded by vast land (and a farm(?) next door), so the closer complexes might have some more bug problems than the other ones slightly farther away like Montego and Waterford.

Congrats to the recently accepted!

Just received an II for April!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can current students comment on colonial Inverness vs solana re: management, noise levels, scorpions etc? Thx

Do you or anyone else have any idea how this works, if it is common, and what other schools do this? Were students waitlisted and then offered deferred acceptance? I was offered an interview here yesterday, but I have been accepted at a 1-year MPH program, so I would actually love to defer if accepted (not to count my eggs before they hatch).
No. You are told you are accepted pending an open seat. It is NOT the same thing as being waitlisted. If anyone has questions about this just message me as I deferred from last cycle.

No. You are told you are accepted pending an open seat. It is NOT the same thing as being waitlisted. If anyone has questions about this just message me as I deferred from last cycle.
Thanks for your response - I will message you directly if I end up in this situation but for now, questions that may help others - was it your choice in any way to defer, or the choice of ATSU? If the latter, do you know if you can request to defer?

I have been silently following this thread since I applied back in September and really appreciate the input of current students.

Thanks for your response - I will message you directly if I end up in this situation but for now, questions that may help others - was it your choice in any way to defer, or the choice of ATSU? If the latter, do you know if you can request to defer?

I have been silently following this thread since I applied back in September and really appreciate the input of current students.
I interviewed in April last year. I could have chose to wait it out, but I had just signed a lease prior to the interview invite and found it more convenient to ask for deferment.

2/21 II.
Alternate listed.

Just in case people are interested.

Prior to any 2/21 acceptances, there were only 18 seats left. Only two CHC campuses left to pick. Amish country Ohio and deep south South Carolina. Those were the buzzwords associated with them anyway. Around 65+ on the wait list currently. It is ranked. They will send out a CHC ranking in May to the people wait listed to rank the CHC centers. You might improve your chances/rank by picking the crappy rotation spots. Just giving a heads up in case anyone is spending a lot of money for travel with high hopes.

2/21 II.
Alternate listed.

Just in case people are interested.

Prior to any 2/21 acceptances, there were only 18 seats left. Only two CHC campuses left to pick. Amish country Ohio and deep south South Carolina. Those were the buzzwords associated with them anyway. Around 65+ on the wait list currently. It is ranked. They will send out a CHC ranking in May to the people wait listed to rank the CHC centers. You might improve your chances/rank by picking the crappy rotation spots. Just giving a heads up in case anyone is spending a lot of money for travel with high hopes.
Thanks for the info @xBODOMx ...very interesting! 65+ waitlist sounds like way too many people to me (is this the norm at most schools ? just wondering) , also one thing I don't understand is why they accept people pending open seat? Basically, why accept people when you know the class if full, and you already have an alternate list...am just curious. Anyone who knows more about SOMA admissions process, please feel free to enlighten us. Thanks

Only two CHC campuses left to pick. Amish country Ohio and deep south South Carolina. Those were the buzzwords associated with them anyway. Around 65+ on the wait list currently. It is ranked. They will send out a CHC ranking in May to the people wait listed to rank the CHC centers. You might improve your chances/rank by picking the crappy rotation spots. Just giving a heads up in case anyone is spending a lot of money for travel with high hopes.

Just because they're rural doesn't mean that they're crappy. Can you believe it, OH and SC were the first choice for some? Ohio and South Carolina have pretty good rotation sites, or so i've heard. Nice balance of hospital and community programs working with both MD/DOs. Those are the more rural areas, so the RDMEs tend to be chill and more willing to help out. (Most people don't know that Flagstaff is pretty rural too, looooong drives in the desert to clinic as well but its super popular cuz it's in Arizona). I know I wouldnt want DC or Chicago, not a safe environment for kids, and rent expensive $$$$ ... And besides, 3rd and 4th years you have the option of audition rotations in other states if you wish.

Each site has their pros/cons, it really depends on how picky of a location you want to go to.

I know a handful of classmates who interviewed in April/May and still got in. There's still a chance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info @xBODOMx ...very interesting! 65+ waitlist sounds like way too many people to me (is this the norm at most schools ? just wondering) , also one thing I don't understand is why they accept people pending open seat? Basically, why accept people when you know the class if full, and you already have an alternate list...am just curious. Anyone who knows more about SOMA admissions process, please feel free to enlighten us. Thanks
Because if people drop their acceptance, those accepted pending an open seat get priority. However, if a seat doesn't open up you are accepted for the next school year. That is the whole point. The school wants you, but may not have a seat for you this cycle. Kirksville does the same thing.

Because if people drop their acceptance, those accepted pending an open seat get priority. However, if a seat doesn't open up you are accepted for the next school year. That is the whole point. The school wants you, but may not have a seat for you this cycle. Kirksville does the same thing.
I finally understand this now. And feel better about booking my flights.

Just received an update regarding the April interview. All spots are accounted for so if accepted you will be accepted pending an open seat if not granted you acceptance will be deferred. Just fyi for those waiting to hear anything.

But this is for people accepted pending a seat, not people wait listed, which is different. If you get waitlisted. You are removed from the list once schools starts and cannot defer a year.

But this is for people accepted pending a seat, not people wait listed, which is different. If you get waitlisted. You are removed from the list once schools starts and cannot defer a year.
Yea. I know. I was answering the question "what is the point of accepting pending an open seat."

Hello everyone, current 4th year checking in again!

I've finally hit a bit of a lull in my training, I have 7 weeks of rotations left and things are definitely slowing down. It's been a wild ride these last 4 years.

Anyway, if anyone has any specific questions about SOMA, Medical School, Mesa, Portland, etc. please don't hesitate to ask...

Edit: I should also add, I am one of the student ambassadors so if you have specific questions about CHC sites I can hook you up with one of my other classmates at that site too.

Reactions: 1 users
How does site assignment work? I'm seriously considering a DO/MPH combination and applying to AT Still, but my husband will be doing a PhD in Pharmacology and can't just pick up and move half way through. How early would we know if we could stay in Mesa or not?

How does site assignment work? I'm seriously considering a DO/MPH combination and applying to AT Still, but my husband will be doing a PhD in Pharmacology and can't just pick up and move half way through. How early would we know if we could stay in Mesa or not?

Once you are accepted, you send in your top community health centers (CHCs) listed in order of preference. If there is space, a CHC is assigned to you before you put down your seat deposit. You know exactly where you'll be before you start your first year which is actually pretty awesome since you can start planning for the next few years.

To stay in AZ, you'll want to pick the Phoenix or Tucson sites, Flagstaff also allows you to stay in AZ, but you would need to do a bit of travel. I've been hearing good things about that site as well.

I was initially offered an interview in April and kept moving it forward as early as possible. I knew the amount of open seats was getting low and I wanted to make damn sure I had a good shot at getting one of those seats. I would make every effort to move ahead if you want to attend the class of 2019 and not just be offered acceptance pending an open seat.

Thanks for your response. I actually already received an email saying the following: "We want to notify you that at this time we are interviewing pending an open seat in the class. If accepted after the interview and a seat does not open in 2015, you will be offered a seat by automatic deferment for 2016."

It would be $300 for me to change the AZ and vacation flights I have booked and since I'm already interviewing for pending open seat I'm not sure those few weeks will make a huge difference. .
The class is already full so it won't make a huge difference. You are taken off of the pending acceptance seat based off of a ranking, not when you interviewed. Hope that helps.

The class filled up very quickly. Right?

They have a relatively large amount of people who defer a year to get the CHC site they want. I heard it was around at least 20 for a class size of 110. So just starting out they are that full.

They have a relatively large amount of people who defer a year to get the CHC site they want. I heard it was around at least 20 for a class size of 110. So just starting out they are that full.
No wonder. I was wondering how the class filled up so quickly.

That is not the reason we deferred. We deferred because, like this cycle, the class was full when we interviewed.

If I remember correctly, at my interview the dean said they had 38 people defer last year...lol... someone correct me if am wrong

If I remember correctly, at my interview the dean said they had 38 people defer last year...lol... someone correct me if am wrong
I don't think everyone that was deferred decided to matriculate, though.

Can any current student or student in the know-how, explain the dress code at SOMA? Do you have to go to class each day dressed up?

Can any current student or student in the know-how, explain the dress code at SOMA? Do you have to go to class each day dressed up?

I am a current student.

The dress code is business casual or the school recommended scrubs. On OMM day and Physical Exam skills days you wear gym attire. This means for men button up shirt with slacks, no tie or coat required. I truly have no idea what business casual for women. I have had many people explain it to me, but it is not what I see in clinic/ school. This tends to get more relaxed over time as more and more people just wear scrubs and the gym wear to class or simply don't show up.

If you have further questions let me know.

ACGME match list is starting to come in. A few really unbelievable institutions on there right now.

I'll post more as it starts to flesh out later in the day.

ACGME match list is starting to come in. A few really unbelievable institutions on there right now.

I'll post more as it starts to flesh out later in the day.

Is this match list available online or will you kindly inform us here?

Is this match list available online or will you kindly inform us here?

I can share a few here, if you go to SOMA they'll send you the list when it's finalized.

So far we have matches at:
UC-Irvine
Northwestern University
Brown University
Georgetown University
UCSF/NYMC
SLU
UC Davis

With more to come...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users