A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II!! Super excited!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, for sure: sGPA 3.37, cGPA 3.59, MCAT 25 (10/6/9). Secondary sent 6/27. I honestly don't have the most competitive stats but I guess my EC's made up for it! I served an LDS service mission in various rural and city areas of Japan for two years, TA'd for Anatomy, shadowed a family practice DO for 25 ish hours, volunteered as a mentor and taught anatomy to elementary age kids to combat obesity. I was planning to retake the MCAT but my wife and I didn't have the funds to pay for another shot so I'm glad I have a chance somewhere. Good luck to all of you guys!

Reactions: 2 users
It seems like there are not tons of II's so far for SOMA, I LOVE this school after interviewing here last year. I was complete a while ago, anyone know how often and when the send II's? (like a specific day of the week etc...) I love their emphasis toward serving under-served communities and the teaching approach is excellent. I'd love to go here, just gotta start with an interview, hopefully soon...

I got a secondary before I submitted my MCAT score...which was low
Can schools take away secondaries? lol

Does anyone who has been accepted or has received interview invitation mind looking at my secondary?

Got my first rejection of the cycle this morning from AT Still Arizona, wondering why me? 3.7 GPA 29 MCAT, thought I'd be a strong candidate here

Got my first rejection of the cycle this morning from AT Still Arizona, wondering why me? 3.7 GPA 29 MCAT, thought I'd be a strong candidate here

Stat-wise that does seem fine. How did you approach the secondary and what were your ECs?

I approached the secondary by researching the school and anwering with specific examples and Still oriented input. ECs are good, shadowing, volunteer abroad trip, volunteer locally, worked to fund my education, etc.

I approached the secondary by researching the school and anwering with specific examples and Still oriented input. ECs are good, shadowing, volunteer abroad trip, volunteer locally, worked to fund my education, etc.

Hmm, did you write about wanting to work with underserved/disadvantaged populations? From what I've been hearing they really look for that.

hmmm I tried to pull up my actual application but I couldn't find it, I don't know if I specifically expressed my will to work with underserved. you think that would be enough to warrant a pre-interview rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an II for Kirksville but I have a feeling SOMA is harder to get into (more competitive). Any thoughts? (I'm not getting my hopes up)

I got an II for Kirksville but I have a feeling SOMA is harder to get into (more competitive). Any thoughts? (I'm not getting my hopes up)

That would certainly make sense - SOMA's location in Mesa is arguably better than rural Kirksville.

Oh and just some food for thought. I know some people might be turned off by recorded lectures. But U of A has recorded video lectures too. This is quite normal for medical school so you can review lectures multiple times.

hmmm I tried to pull up my actual application but I couldn't find it, I don't know if I specifically expressed my will to work with underserved. you think that would be enough to warrant a pre-interview rejection?
Yes. This is something their school focuses heavily on, and if you failed to mention it, that probably hurt your chances.

but i already got a ii..
Your original post said "can they take away secondaries?" Not interviews.

If you already got an interview, I doubt they will rescind the offer.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes. This is something their school focuses heavily on, and if you failed to mention it, that probably hurt your chances.

not necessarily; I got in last year with no mention of past experience or willingness to work with the underserved at all on the secondary. ( I think it came up in my interview here- I told them it was too early to tell lol)

if anything, honesty worked for me YMMV

on a side note, this school doesn't have a MCAT cutoff. as far as I know, GPAs range from 3.8-3.1 and at least 23-33 mcats among my peers- so basically the whole spectrum. the admissions committee does look for those with heart though, so it can't hurt to apply!

Yah I mean I could see it perhaps being a slight negative when reviewing my application, but not enough to warrant a pre-interview rejection so quickly

Yah I mean I could see it perhaps being a slight negative when reviewing my application, but not enough to warrant a pre-interview rejection so quickly

That's admissions for you - unpredictable.

Also, this school in particular is huge on fit, so maybe when they read your secondary, they probably thought that you wouldn't be happy with the distance learning/moving, or maybe you would be happier at another institution (closer to home or something) based on your secondary responses. Don't mind, with those stats, chin up, you'll get in somewhere!

I appreciate your positivity, and maybe you're right and it wasnt meant to be

Does anybody with prior experience have any input on how many interviews one should attend? I understand that depends on the individual, and though it's a good problem to have, I'm not sure I can afford attending them all unfortunately.

Does anybody with prior experience have any input on how many interviews one should attend? I understand that depends on the individual, and though it's a good problem to have, I'm not sure I can afford attending them all unfortunately.
ONE AND DONE! Give the rest of us a fighting chance, GEEZ! hahaha, just kidding. Congrats on all your interviews. If you are having too many, I would highly suggest going to the "most fit" schools in your opinion, and then some possible back-up ones just in-case you are unable to receive acceptances. Good luck on your interviews though!

ONE AND DONE! Give the rest of us a fighting chance, GEEZ! hahaha, just kidding. Congrats on all your interviews. If you are having too many, I would highly suggest going to the "most fit" schools in your opinion, and then some possible back-up ones just in-case you are unable to receive acceptances. Good luck on your interviews though!

Thanks for the advice! I apologize if my question came off as arrogant, in no way did I intend it to be. Just very new to the process and unsure how to proceed with them. Good luck to you as well!

Thanks for the advice! I apologize if my question came off as arrogant, in no way did I intend it to be. Just very new to the process and unsure how to proceed with them. Good luck to you as well!
No worries, I understand. This is unfortunately my second cycle. First cycle I got zero interviews, and at least this cycle I got one interview so far, hoping for more in the future. So technically I don't really have TRUE advice on what interviews to take and what not, I just approached this cycle in a different manner, and also have searched high and low through this thread reading hundreds of posts.

No worries, I understand. This is unfortunately my second cycle. First cycle I got zero interviews, and at least this cycle I got one interview so far, hoping for more in the future. So technically I don't really have TRUE advice on what interviews to take and what not, I just approached this cycle in a different manner, and also have searched high and low through this thread reading hundreds of posts.

Well congratulations! All you need is one, so go crush that interview!

Congrats on interviews everyone! Make sure to post your stats in the "Official Interview Invite Thread 2014-2015 Cycle" in the Pre-Medical Osteopathic forum so we can keep track of the schools giving out invites!

Hi guys,
Can everyone with interview invites please post in the "Official Interview Invite Thread 2014-2015 Cycle." So far there are only three entries under ATSU-SOMA interview invitations. Here's the link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-interview-invite-thread-2014-2015-cycle.1085042

Thanks!

So I recently received an ii (complete on July 29th) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on traveling. Do you guys recommend renting a car? The hotel I'm planning to book seems to have shuttle service to school but I'm not sure about the service from school to airport after the interview.

And what kind of interview does ATSU conduct? Is it traditional one-on-one open file interview or MMI?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how long it takes for them to mark your mcat score and letters as received? My secondary was sent last wed....letters on monday. So far still waiting for mcat and letters to rcvd.....what's going on here?

So I recently received an ii (complete on July 29th) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on traveling. Do you guys recommend renting a car? The hotel I'm planning to book seems to have shuttle service to school but I'm not sure about the service from school to airport after the interview.

And what kind of interview does ATSU conduct? Is it traditional one-on-one open file interview or MMI?
They have a file review, MMI, and one on one all in the same day

I just got an II! So pumped! I chose October 17th, let me know if you're in the same boat!

Half way through the secondary. I have answered the underserved question as well as the physician characteristics question. It looks like all of my answers are easily hitting 500 words. Would I be screened out for going over? I am hitting the osteopathic philosophy question now!!!! AAAGHEIFNIEVIDKVN

Half way through the secondary. I have answered the underserved question as well as the physician characteristics question. It looks like all of my answers are easily hitting 500 words. Would I be screened out for going over? I am hitting the osteopathic philosophy question now!!!! AAAGHEIFNIEVIDKVN
Well, it shows that you're not following directions, but I don't know that it would screen you out. I don't know how you came up with such a long response, I easily answered mine in 350.

It's really not. The file review is about 5 minutes, MMI was short and so was the 1 on 1 interviews

For file review do they just ask questions based specifically on your application?

Well, it shows that you're not following directions, but I don't know that it would screen you out. I don't know how you came up with such a long response, I easily answered mine in 350.

I am answering them honestly and thoroughly without any unnecessary BS. Hoping they understand who I am. Im not outrageously over the limit though. I am like 20-40 words over for one of the questions

Definitely do not exceed 500 words. Mine ranged from 250-450 depending on the experience I was writing about.
I would recommend to write everything, however you want/whatever length you want, then revisit your answers in a day. Read them out loud. And I'm sure you will recognize redundancies and things that just don't add to your overall point. As they say, writing is revising!

Just finished the secondary.....damn that took a long time. Its over tho!!! Are any of the other ones this tough?

Okay, so my interview is coming up in a few weeks and since it will be my first one ever I just wanted some advice. I'll be meeting with a counselor to do a mock interview but what kind of things (news/ethical issues) should I brush up on? I'll read up on the obvious (obamacare, abortion, etc) but what else could they throw at me? This is not taking in account of the standard interview questions i.e. Why us, why DO, why you.

What hotels are you guys considering staying at for interviews here? Know any that offer shuttle service to and from the airport and campus? Is relying on the shuttle even recommended?