A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected today. Really surprised as I thought I was a good fit for their mission. Two in a row now with just one ii. Ughh starting to wonder if there's something about my app that isn't good. .
I interviewed last year here and was waitlisted. I fit their mission well, based on what they told me...got rejected pre-interview this year. No idea why...I have other interviews at other schools though, so I'll roll with it. Good luck to everyone else looking at SOMA.

Members don't see this ad.

Just withdrew my interview for 9/19 here, hope it goes to one of you!! :)

The best thing you can do is relax and be yourself. This interview process isn't meant to stress you but to see if you are a fit into their model of serving the underserved. The Thursday night social is a great way to break the ice, meet some of the faculty and tour the facility. The ambassadors there are also a great resource for advice and information (they had no influence on your application results so you could be as candid, at least when I was a first year).

During the interview day itself there are a lot of lectures on what the school is about then the interview is about half an hour with two faculty members. During my interview we talked about books for most of it. The thing to keep in mind is that they are trying to serve the underserved, and so you should embody that somehow. Also knowing what a CHC is beforehand might come in handy.
Looking at all the threads, it seems like ATSU-SOMA send secondaries to only those applicants who has/had worked for undeserved in past. Is it true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at all the threads, it seems like ATSU-SOMA send secondaries to only those applicants who has/had worked for undeserved in past. Is it true?

It is impossible to say who all receives a secondary. I know when I originally sent in my application I did not mention serving the underserved in my extracurriculars or personal statement. I brought up most of serving the underserved during my secondary, and it wasn't mentioned during the interview.

As the years progress I am noticing a trend that SOMA is accepting more people off of grades and scores instead of purely personality. So I would say people get a secondary if they have the scores. After that it depend on you as a person.

Reactions: 1 user
As the years progress I am noticing a trend that SOMA is accepting more people off of grades and scores instead of purely personality. So I would say people get a secondary if they have the scores. After that it depend on you as a person.

This school does pre-screen for GPA (sub 3.0?), but not for MCAT . I know last cycle there was an applicant with a 17-->21 mcat retake, the most altruistic person with a long list of helping out with the underserved, great GPA, but was rejected post-interview. After all, the school's placing faith in you that you'll pass the curriculum and boards, there's just inherently more risk with those with lower stats, even if you've worked with the underserved. V

along with manohatter, n=2, i also didn't mention much of helping out with the underserved during my primary or secondary or interview. I did have a few long term ecs (5+ years), so that might have helped instead.

I still haven't heard anything. 4 weeks now!! I don't see any recent interview invites here, what's up with that?

I flew out of the provo airport right into mesa for my interview so make sure you take a look at those flights!!
I was looking into it today, but they don't have a return flight Friday evening or any flights on Saturday, so I'd have to stay an extra day. I think I'm going to drive down to St. George with my wife, leave her there at my sister's house, and then I'll continue the 7 hours to Mesa. That way we get to spend some time with family in St. George!

Congrats! when are you interviewing?
October 17. They had options for September 19 and October 3. September 19 is too soon (since my wife is having a baby sometime in the next week) and I'll be at DMUCOM for an interview on the 3rd.

Reactions: 1 users
October 17. They had options for September 19 and October 3. September 19 is too soon (since my wife is having a baby sometime in the next week) and I'll be at DMUCOM for an interview on the 3rd.
Congrats for the baby and for all your interviews. Good luck!!
yea, September 19 is too soon. I expected September and early October dates to be filled up by now.

Can someone give an overall description of the interview day?and how long did they say it will take to hear back for a decision? thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone give an overall description of the interview day?and how long did they say it will take to hear back for a decision? thanks.
I heard back 6 days after the interview. It's a quick turn around time for those who are accepted. Rejections are slower. The interview day consists of description of the school's goals, info about the CHC sites, MMI, 1 on 1, and file review. The order varies based on the group you are in.

I heard back 6 days after the interview. It's a quick turn around time for those who are accepted. Rejections are slower. The interview day consists of description of the school's goals, info about the CHC sites, MMI, 1 on 1, and file review. The order varies based on the group you are in.

Is this necessarily true for all acceptances? It's been about 7 days since I interviewed and I'm beginning to think I may be one of the unfortunate ones... They did quote 2-4 wks on decisions.

Anyone hear back from the 9/5 date?

Is this necessarily true for all acceptances? It's been about 7 days since I interviewed and I'm beginning to think I may be one of the unfortunate ones... They did quote 2-4 wks on decisions.

Anyone hear back from the 9/5 date?
Took 3 weeks for me. I was later in the cycle too. You've got time

Anyone know of any silent rejections yet, or do they always send email/snail mail? I was complete 8/11, still waiting to hear back. I'm sure review can take 6-8 weeks, I'm just curious.

Anyone know of any silent rejections yet, or do they always send email/snail mail? I was complete 8/11, still waiting to hear back. I'm sure review can take 6-8 weeks, I'm just curious.
Silent rejections are only at the very end of the cycle

At the beginning they could hold on to your app as long as they want before they offer you an ii or send you a post-secondary snail mail rejection .

after an interview, admissions meets weekly to discuss applicants and give out phone calls later in the week. If the admissions doesn't get through everyone, they'll continue the following week and send out another batch of acceptances/rejections

I just canceled my interview due to an acceptance elsewhere. I wish you all the best of luck during the remainder of this cycle!

is it bad to say you want to do surgery?

is it bad to say you want to do surgery?

Yes and no. Few interviewers will believe you know what specialty you want to do when applying, except for those with significant background in something. However this school does depend on increasing primary care doctors in the US. So keep that in mind when they ask you want you want to do. It is sometimes better to be honest on what you are currently feeling, because it may change.

Rejected via a really rude 2 sentence letter through snail mail. You would think after all the money we spend, we can get a decent "This is why we rejected you" letter.

Rejected via a really rude 2 sentence letter through snail mail. You would think after all the money we spend, we can get a decent "This is why we rejected you" letter.
Wait, was this pre or post interview? I'm sorry to hear that though.

Wait, was this pre or post interview? I'm sorry to hear that though.

This was pre-interview after being complete very early. It's all good I wasn't really too stoked about the school. Good luck to everyone!

Almost didn't pick up the acceptance phone call!!!!
SOMA just made my week!

Reactions: 4 users
I also received an acceptance call this morning! So excited and relieved!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else stuck at the currently closed Skye Harbor airport? Apparent police situation is keeping me from leaving!

Congrats on the acceptances! Hopefully more good news on the way for everyone. Did anyone else select Tucson for their 2-4 years??? Is that bad I only ranked one since I'm guessing its available?

From what I understand, they will only show up as an option to pick if they're available.
So I believe that if your first choice shows as an option you just pick it and do not choose alternates. That is the understanding I have from the instructions, but I am not 100% positive.

did anyone loose their catsnake?
10710973_511299165673700_4496624898533836991_n.jpg

Saw some acceptances rolling into the facebook group, congrats peoples!

Did anyone interviewed on 9/19 hear back about his/her decision yet?

Received II's from ATSU-SOMA and KCOM today. I was verified Monday after 7 weeks of waiting for AACOMAS, so that was a nice change of pace. I was a late MCAT taker though so I won't have my scores until second week or so of October. I drive by SOMA often heading home, the closer interview time comes the more it kills me!

Received II's from ATSU-SOMA and KCOM today. I was verified Monday after 7 weeks of waiting for AACOMAS, so that was a nice change of pace. I was a late MCAT taker though so I won't have my scores until second week or so of October. I drive by SOMA often heading home, the closer interview time comes the more it kills me!

Wait..so you got an II without any mcat score on your file? thats great, congrats! When were you complete with your secondary?

Whoops, I meant secondary not II - you can tell how eager I am haha
haha I totally understand the excitement of receiving secondary invites after waiting forever for aacomas to be verified. Submit those secondaries as soon as you can. good luck.

II yesterday! Completed secondary mid to late august. 28, 3.25 sGPA, 3.65 cGPA. Options for October 3 or 17.

Is there anyone from the 9/5 interview that still hasn't heard anything back yet?

Is there anyone from the 9/5 interview that still hasn't heard anything back yet?
im in the same boat...haha the wait was killing me until I realized they have pretty much accepted everyone they want from 9/5. Oh well, cant dwell on it.

for soma's closed file interview session, do they have your secondary app or just your personal statement? or everything other than grades and mcat?

II invite. Been waiting for this one. My twin brother lives in Phoenix and I'd love to live close to him. Complete 8/7. I'll be interviewing OCT 17

II invite. Been waiting for this one. My twin brother lives in Phoenix and I'd love to live close to him. Complete 8/7. I'll be interviewing OCT 17

I will be interviewing on Oct. 17 too!! The wait was totally worth it. See you on the 17th.