A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why is everyone saying the secondary is long if these are the only prompts? Just curious.. Haven't submitted yet, I'm pre-writing.
Pretty sure he is talking about the Arizona campus (SOMA), which is a bit more lengthy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What are you all doing for clinical experience/volunteering? I don't really know how they are trying to differentiate between the AACOMAS experience section...

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you all doing for clinical experience/volunteering? I don't really know how they are trying to differentiate between the AACOMAS experience section...

I just retype and say what I learn about the experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
OMG this secondary makes me not even wanna apply there. Where do we upload "verification" for our experiences?

OMG this secondary makes me not even wanna apply there. Where do we upload "verification" for our experiences?

I don't think we need too... It just say verifiable, maybe they will call and verified themselves.

I have LORs from all the experiences so, I don't know if it count as verified.

SOMA is one if my top choice lol, I like their curriculum, it fits well with my learning style

Finally submitted this beast of a secondary today. So glad to be done with it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Plan on submitting tonight. Hopefully I'll have bette luck with applying early this year.

Guys for this Q, do they mean like gap between undergrad and grad school? Or like if I took time off in college.

"Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record"

Guys for this Q, do they mean like gap between undergrad and grad school? Or like if I took time off in college.

"Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record"

Id say both. I listed what I've done since graduating college til now.

Can someone post the secondaries for ATSU SOMA?

Plan on submitting tonight. Hopefully I'll have bette luck with applying early this year.
hey do you think I'm totally screwed for applying not early this year? I submitted my application 6/22 and waiting on verification. do you think that's gonna totally screw me??? I'm terrified

My stats are 3.3cGPA (i think)/3.3/29 MCAT/lots of shadowing, EMT, global service, a lot of volunteering and EC's
masters gpa 3.58

hey do you think I'm totally screwed for applying not early this year? I submitted my application 6/22 and waiting on verification. do you think that's gonna totally screw me??? I'm terrified

My stats are 3.3cGPA (i think)/3.3/29 MCAT/lots of shadowing, EMT, global service, a lot of volunteering and EC's
masters gpa 3.58

Nope. Its still really early. I wasn't complete until October/November last year.

Members don't see this ad :)

masters gpa 3.58

The pre-med neurosis is real.

Can someone help me out with this question. I graduate May 2015 but had to take a year off due to medical reasons (treatment) so I did not do much.
I basically have a non-medical job and tutored 4th graders in math and science (nothing official). This upcoming year I am trying to get into some course at my university like Immunology. Is this really going to hurt my application much?

Stats: 26 MCAT, 3.85 cgpa, 3.77 sgpa, great EC's while in college.

Can someone post the secondaries for ATSU SOMA?

Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record.
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

Describe your academic readiness for medical school by answering one of the following questions:
a Describe your learning strategy and how this strategy will help you become a successful student at SOMA.
b Describe any academic performance issues you have experienced and how you got back on course.

Describe your understanding of a career as a osteopathic physician by answering one of the following questions:
c Describe the essential traits of a osteopathic physician. Which one of your past experiences had the greatest influence on your choice of traits?
d Of the following characteristics found in successful medical students, choose one that is important to you and explain why?
• Confidence
• Empathy
• Discipline
• Resilience
• Integrity
• Intelligence
Maturity

Describe your understanding of a career as an osteopathic physician by answering one of the following questions:
a Describe your experiences with osteopathic physicians. Have you ever shadowed a DO, if not explain why? Do you have a letter of recommendation from a DO, if not explain why?
b Which one of the osteopathic tenets do you most identify with at this point in your life? Explain why.
c How do you envision incorporating osteopathic philosophy and practice as a physician?

Can someone help me out with this question. I graduate May 2015 but had to take a year off due to medical reasons (treatment) so I did not do much.
I basically have a non-medical job and tutored 4th graders in math and science (nothing official). This upcoming year I am trying to get into some course at my university like Immunology. Is this really going to hurt my application much?

Stats: 26 MCAT, 3.85 cgpa, 3.77 sgpa, great EC's while in college.

Teaching kids is probably the most meaningful and valuable EC on your app. Go for it :)

Hi all,

Just a minor detail, but when we're listing an experience and we're still participating in said experience, what should we list as the end date? And for hours completed, should we fill out how many hours we anticipate completing or should we list the number we have already completed to date? I figured I should ask here before emailing them. Any thoughts?

Hi all,

Just a minor detail, but when we're listing an experience and we're still participating in said experience, what should we list as the end date? And for hours completed, should we fill out how many hours we anticipate completing or should we list the number we have already completed to date? I figured I should ask here before emailing them. Any thoughts?

I just put that is it ongoing and listed a future date when I would stop. Regarding hours, I put the hours I have so far done and in the descriptions I put about how many hours weekly I would do in the future. Hope this helps!!

It's 1:30am here. I submitted my primary at about 530pm and just received a secondary. I find it startling that some poor person may be working this late. I know it's not as late in AZ, but still.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It's 1:30am here. I submitted my primary at about 530pm and just received a secondary. I find it startling that some poor person may be working this late. I know it's not as late in AZ, but still.

I think AT Still sends a secondary to everyone that applies. It's probably automated!

Just received "Complete and under review" email

@cjcarter Looks like a 7 day turnaround. Mine was at exactly 7 days as well. You should hear back tomorrow or Monday at most.

You guys were right about this being a monster of a secondary, my goodness.

I applied to both SOMA and KCOM, and they both have a "what is your experience with osteopathic medicine" question on their secondaries. I was wondering if it was okay to copy and paste what I wrote for that question?

WOW finally submitted that beast, four days before the two week "deadline". That's definitely the longest any secondary has taken me thus far!

WOW finally submitted that beast, four days before the two week "deadline". That's definitely the longest any secondary has taken me thus far!

On the beach right now and I'm not looking forward to finishing that thing

Haha I would tell them I'm doing it for the .

They told us to be honest about our career goals

We all deserve a break guys. Before coming back for all these secondaries and stuff

Reactions: 2 users
got an email said the app for SOMA was completed

Reactions: 2 users
Complete and under review!

Anyone send LORs electronically through Interfolio to ATSU? I sent mine on Fri and just received an email saying they don't have my letters.

Just got my secondary...good gravy so much writing to do. I was hoping to knock out a couple full secondaries on my day off tomorrow and might just amend it to finishing this one...

How did everyone answer this aspect of the secondary:

What specific feature of SOMA concerns you?

Super confused how to answer that!

How did everyone answer this aspect of the secondary:

What specific feature of SOMA concerns you?

Super confused how to answer that!
Kind of skipped on that part. Wouldn't be applying if something was bothering me

Last edited:
For the supplemental application clinical experience section, should I include shadowing experiences?

So are those prompts for sure the AT SOMA prompts for this year? Can anyone who got a secondary confirm them? Thank you!