A.T. Still University (ATSU-SOMA) Arizona Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, I am a first year student. I wish I could be of more help with finding the COMLEX pass rates. I thought they were available somewhere but I don't remember where :( As far as our exams go they are given about every 2 weeks during each course. They cover all the subjects we are learning and aren't further broken up. The only separate exams we have are anatomy quizzes and practicals. We also have separate exams for OPP and Medical Skills.
Thank you for taking the time to reply! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome article by the American Medical Association (AMA) listing ATSU-SOMA as one of the schools selected for the Accelerating Change in Medical Education Consortium:

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/ama-wir...campaign=article_alert-morning_rounds_weekend

Each new consortium school will receive $75,000 over the next three years to advance the AMA’s innovative work aimed at transforming undergraduate medical education to better align with the health care system of the 21st century.

A national advisory panel evaluated and selected each school’s proposal based on criteria such as how the project would align with or have the potential to enhance the 11 founding schools’ work, as well as the project’s uniqueness and feasibility for implementation in other medical schools. The schools were selected from the 108 U.S. medical schools that applied to join the consortium. A total of 170 MD- and DO-granting institutions were eligible to apply.

Each school will help advance the work of the consortium around six key themes in medical education including:

1. Developing flexible, competency-based pathways

2. Teaching and/or assessing new content in health care delivery sciences

3. Working with health care delivery systems in novel ways

4. Making technology work to support learning and assessment

5. Envisioning the master adaptive learner

6. Shaping tomorrow’s leaders

The selected schools are:
  • A.T. Still University—School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona
  • Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
  • Dell Medical School at the University of Texas at Austin
  • Eastern Virginia Medical School
  • Emory University School of Medicine
  • Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
  • Harvard Medical School
  • Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Morehouse School of Medicine
  • Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Pritzker School of Medicine at the University of Chicago
  • Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
  • Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
  • Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education/City College of New York
  • University of Connecticut School of Medicine
  • University of Nebraska Medical Center
  • University of North Carolina School of Medicine
  • University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
  • University of Utah School of Medicine
  • University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine
  • University of Washington School of Medicine

Reactions: 8 users
@SLC

Any tips/tricks for us future Portland CHCer's? Good/bad rotations, food/breweries, etc.?

Also, do you think the Portland CHC allocates enough time for students to take Step 1? I've heard through the grapevine some CHC's are better than others in this regard.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
@SLC

Any tips/tricks for us future Portland CHCer's? Good/bad rotations, food/breweries, etc.?

Also, do you think the Portland CHC allocates enough time for students to take Step 1? I've heard through the grapevine some CHC's are better than others in this regard.

Thanks!

I would message @SLC, I believe he/she was Portland and could give you some insight

10/30 interviewees methinks we will hear back today. Cross your fingers for good news!

Edit: ACCEPTED!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What a ****ing roller coaster of a day.

Accepted!!

Reactions: 6 users
Also accepted!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy! So many happy tears right meow :biglove:

Reactions: 4 users
Put on that alternate list. Does anyone know how that exactly works?

Alternate list :( - that will make my decisions easier bc I had really loved the school. Success to all future SOMA DO's!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!!!! II - Oct. 30th. Now for ranking CHCs..... Once we submit the ranking, does anyone know how long it takes for them to assign us a CHC?

Anyone complete mid Oct hear anything yet?
Complete 10/14

How hard is it to get the CHC you want to go to? Do people usually get the first pick? Is it just based on first come first served?

Just submitted my secondary. :soexcited: Hoping to hear back from them about II.

How hard is it to get the CHC you want to go to? Do people usually get the first pick? Is it just based on first come first served?
Depends on the CHC and when you get accepted. Some are more popular than others. Every CHC has its pros

I got my first pick and I heard that there is going to be a lot of shuffling around so it all works out!

I got rejected by KCOM pre-II, and have yet completed the secondary for SOMA. Do y'all think it'd even be worth it to do the SOMA secondary since both KCOM and SOMA pretty much share the same admissions committee?

I got rejected by KCOM pre-II, and have yet completed the secondary for SOMA. Do y'all think it'd even be worth it to do the SOMA secondary since both KCOM and SOMA pretty much share the same admissions committee?
Different admissions committee. The secondaries aren't even the same. It's always worth a shot if you really want to be part of the SOMA program.

As of when were you complete?

Yeah, I think they are different committee... I didn't even get a secondary from KCOM and got an interview at SOMA, so I'd sent a secondary if you like the school

Does anyone know a way to get around the extra fees to rent a car? I'm trying to rent a car for my interview (Dec. 4th) but I'm under 25.. Thanks!!

Does anyone know a way to get around the extra fees to rent a car? I'm trying to rent a car for my interview (Dec. 4th) but I'm under 25.. Thanks!!
Create an USAA account and book it using the benefits. It will wave that fee.

Use the enterprise code atsu has their website. There should be a link in the interview email

For those who have been accepted, which CHC have you guys been assigned to?

^ Nice!

I chose Visalia in California. Any fellow CA chc-ers?

Reactions: 1 users
I was really hoping the 11/6 interview group would hear back today -- maybe tomorrow?

does anyone know if certain CHC sites have already been completely filled?

does anyone know if certain CHC sites have already been completely filled?
I would assume Phoenix is but there is always a lot of movement throughout the cycle and first year. Always rank sites that you would be happy with going to, not sites you're not willing to go to

Has someone made a facebook page for our class?
Admissions usually makes one. It should be up by this time in the cycle.

Edit:

I don't see one at this point, though. I'll ask someone about it this week.

Interviewed 11/6, accepted around 45 min ago!!

How many 11/6 interviewees got acceptance phone calls? At this point, if we haven't gotten it does it me we are on alt or rejected list?

Last edited:
How many 11/6 interviewees got acceptance phone calls? At this point, if we haven't gotten it does it me we are on alt or rejected list?
I right there with you -- fingers crossed!

Interviewed 11/6. Accepted. Phone call 3 hours ago

Random question but are chances of getting accepted really low for people interviewing Dec. 4th? I feel like a lot of people have already been accepted. Any current student input is appreciated!!

Also do they look unfavorably on out of state students? Particularly ones who are far far out of state haha

Random question but are chances of getting accepted really low for people interviewing Dec. 4th? I feel like a lot of people have already been accepted. Any current student input is appreciated!!

Also do they look unfavorably on out of state students? Particularly ones who are far far out of state haha

You still have a very good chance. I interviewed in December and got accepted last year. It is still early and people are still deciding.

I would assume Phoenix is but there is always a lot of movement throughout the cycle and first year. Always rank sites that you would be happy with going to, not sites you're not willing to go to

Phoenix, California, Washington state and Portland are all filled. I was placed at my 3rd choice :/ Hopefully that will change soon though