A.T. Still University (ATSU-SOMA) Arizona Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welp, I got wait listed...has there been any wait list movement yet or will that not be for a long time?
When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad.

1/22 about 3 weeks ago.
Seems like they have a 3-week turnaround at this point. Thanks for the update.
Just by looking at the trend for the interview schedule, a lot of students tend to drop the interview if they were accepted somewhere else. It maybe just that they prefer a traditional curriculum as opposed to the one at SOMA. But if I were to guess, the waitlist should move quickly if the trend is carried over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like they have a 3-week turnaround at this point. Thanks for the update.
Just by looking at the trend for the interview schedule, a lot of students tend to drop the interview if they were accepted somewhere else. It maybe just that they prefer a traditional curriculum as opposed to the one at SOMA. But if I were to guess, the waitlist should move quickly if the trend is carried over.
I have also been waitlisted since the Jan 22 interview. Do you know if it is possible to find out what position you are on the list?

I interviewed here Feb 5 but I just received an acceptance from AZCOM (interviewed Jan 27). My deposit from AZCOM is due March 1st... I'm not sure if I'll hear back in time from ATSU. What do ya'll suggest?

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
I interviewed here 0Feb 5 but I just received an acceptance from AZCOM (interviewed Jan 27). My deposit from AZCOM is due March 1st... I'm not sure if I'll hear back in time from ATSU. What do you ya'll suggest?

My guess is that you will hear back in time. They say 2-4 weeks, and the people from the January 22 interview heard back in three weeks.

You can always call as it gets closer and ask how long it may take to receive a decision. I think it is a totally reasonable thing to call about. I also think it would be fine to mention to them that you are asking because you need to make a decision regarding another school on March 1st. I had done this at a different school, and they made it seem like they would try to a accommodate me by getting a decision to me by the date I needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if there is an official Facebook group for the the class of 2020?

Does anyone know if the school requires us to buy a laptop from the school or if we can use our own. The website provides information from 2014 so I am not sure how relevant it is now. Other schools that I have interviewed at have the laptop included in tuition and that is the laptop that students use to take exams. I was wondering if that is what the technology fee for SOMA is.

Does anyone know if the school requires us to buy a laptop from the school or if we can use our own. The website provides information from 2014 so I am not sure how relevant it is now. Other schools that I have interviewed at have the laptop included in tuition and that is the laptop that students use to take exams. I was wondering if that is what the technology fee for SOMA is.
I'm not sure what the technology fee is, but I know you can use your own laptop. It just has to meet their requirements. I'm not sure what those are, but I'm sure you could contact them about it if you need to know.

You buy your own laptop. I STRONGLY suggest getting a PC. A lot of our content is distributed through OneNote which can be a pain to deal with if you have a mac. I have a Surface Pro and think it's one of the best options. A lot of my classmates have Surfaces as well. If you have any other questions about it just feel free to message me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does SOMA provide stethoscopes or do we need to buy our own?

Hello all! I've been accepted and made my deposit! I've reviewed my CHC placement, as well as passed the background check! Any ideas/guidance about what I should be doing next?

Reactions: 2 users
I just received the call that I was accepted!!! I feel so honored!!

Said I should get the email early next week and I'll have 2 weeks to submit the deposit after - interviewed Feb 5th in the light blue/turquoise group.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted just now!!!! Feb 5 interview.
Turning down acceptances to Touro-Harlem, WVSOM, and LECOM-Erie for this school; I absolutely fell in love with it after my interview and I am so excited to join the ATSU-SOMA class of 2020!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
I just received the call that I was accepted!!! I feel so honored!!

Said I should get the email early next week and I'll have 2 weeks to submit the deposit after - interviewed Feb 5th in the light blue/turquoise group.

I think I was in your interview group!!! There were two light blue groups, are you going to submit your deposit? Maybe I'll see you during orientation!

No call. I guess I will wait for the email. Good luck to all you guys who are going to this great school!

Reactions: 2 users
I think I was in your interview group!!! There were two light blue groups, are you going to submit your deposit? Maybe I'll see you during orientation!
I need to weigh the pros and cons against AZCOM where I was also accepted just to clarify that this school is the better place for me :) but it's very likely I'll see you during orientation!

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted here this afternoon!!!! So stoked :D See you guys in July!
In the meantime...
Anybody know of any good apartments near the school?

Reactions: 3 users
I'm having a hard time finding the actual location(s) which are involved in the Seattle area CHC. Healthpoint has 14 different locations in Washington. Are you rotating between them, or do you have a "home base" but still do some things at other locations, or are you completely at one location? Also, with a class of 106 and so many locations, how many are actually sent to the Seattle area location?
I realize that it is already full at this point. It is the only location that I'd be able to attend, so I'm just hoping to get all of the facts to help with my decision.

Got the acceptance call yesterday as well! So happy that quite a few people from Feb 5th interview got accepted as well...because all of you seemed so lovely! I was in group 1 (teal), hope to see my group members next year! :)

Accepted here this afternoon!!!! So stoked :D See you guys in July!
In the meantime...
Anybody know of any good apartments near the school?
Most of us choose to live at Colonial Grand.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So the acceptance calls for the 2/5 interview all went out yesterday (2/18) or what?

Placed on the alternate list today (interviewed 2/5)!

Does anyone know which/if any CHC rotation sites are full?

Placed on the alternate list today (interviewed 2/5)!

Does anyone know which/if any CHC rotation sites are full?
I was placed on the alternate status today as well. Do you know if there is a difference between waitlist and alternate status? or are they the same?

I was placed on the alternate status today as well. Do you know if there is a difference between waitlist and alternate status? or are they the same?
As far as I know, they are the same.

I'm curious as to how quickly seats have opened up in the past, at this point in the process.

Hi all, I have an interview on March 4th. I received my invitation on 12/17/15. I am curious about CHC placement if I am admitted in the future. Since I am from northern california, what are the odds for me to be able be assigned in California ? I understand it is relatively late in the application cycle, I will also consider the CHC sites in Washington and Oregon. I know you get to fill out your preferences for CHC sites once you are admitted. Are there any flexiblity for late-admitted students to pick their preferred CHC sites ?

Hi all, I have an interview on March 4th. I received my invitation on 12/17/15. I am curious about CHC placement if I am admitted in the future. Since I am from northern california, what are the odds for me to be able be assigned in California ? I understand it is relatively late in the application cycle, I will also consider the CHC sites in Washington and Oregon. I know you get to fill out your preferences for CHC sites once you are admitted. Are there any flexiblity for late-admitted students to pick their preferred CHC sites ?
It's first come first serve. While there is always the chance to move (which many people do end up moving up in their ranks) the earlier you apply the better chance of getting your site is.

I interview here 3/4 - anyone know if they are still doing the accepted pending open seat thing or just alternate list at this point?

Currently they have Ohio and South Carolina open. They try their best to place you into the rank that you choose but cannot guarantee it. I heard there is usually movement for the list though.

As far as I know, they are the same.

I'm curious as to how quickly seats have opened up in the past, at this point in the process.
From what I've read on older threads when SOMA used to be a new school, the movement for alternates was great! Over the years, as the school had grown and it is more established now, students tend to choose SOMA over other choices. So the movement starting May is slow if there is any. Keeping fingers crossed.

From what I've read on older threads when SOMA used to be a new school, the movement for alternates was great! Over the years, as the school had grown and it is more established now, students tend to choose SOMA over other choices. So the movement starting May is slow if there is any. Keeping fingers crossed.
Does that mean that Soma doesn't do the accepted pending open seat deferral thing anymore? I know there are people that deferred last year rolling over to this year

Does that mean that Soma doesn't do the accepted pending open seat deferral thing anymore? I know there are people that deferred last year rolling over to this year
It's a case by case basis. You can't just defer because there isn't a CHC open that you want.

Has anyone received an acceptance email yet? Received the phone call on Thursday - wow I think I'm being neurotic. Guess it's been a long weekend.

About car rentals, I talked to enterprised and used the discount from the school, it comes down to about 60 bucks total. Is this what most people use ? I know some people mentioned if you are under 25 you can use a USAA discount of some sort, but I am 25 yr old.

Update - I got my acceptance email! I have until March 8th to pay the deposit from my Feb 5th interview.

I have been on the alternate list since I interviewed in October. They said I would not hear a final answer until June. I have acceptances other places but SOMA is my top choice (its my home town). Does anyone know may many people they typically take off their alternate list every year?

I have been on the alternate list since I interviewed in October. They said I would not hear a final answer until June. I have acceptances other places but SOMA is my top choice (its my home town). Does anyone know may many people they typically take off their alternate list every year?

I interviewed on 1/22 and was also placed on the alternate list. I don't think there will be movement for a while...probably not until may or so, as they are still interviewing people.

has anyone heard anything on whether the class is full yet? I know it's a pretty small class size

has anyone heard anything on whether the class is full yet? I know it's a pretty small class size

I want to say it is probably 75% full at this point. I would definitely call the school, though who could provide you with more accurate information.

Withdrew my application today, was supposed to interview here on Friday so hopefully that goes to one of you!

Has anyone received a phone call or email from the 2/19 interview yet?

Yup! I took the February 19th position so feel free to ask me any questions once it's all over. Oh, and congrats to you, too!
Have you heard anything back regarding your interview on the 19th? I also interviewed that day and was hoping to hear back by today but nothing so far!

Sorry to deter from the wave of acceptance/interview posts, but I couldn't find an accepted student ATSU-SOMA thread...

Does anyone know of any apartments that include utilities around the area? I know most people choose to live at Colonial Grand since it's the closest but rent is also slightly higher than other complexes in the area...

Any advice on housing would be helpful!

Thanks

Sorry to deter from the wave of acceptance/interview posts, but I couldn't find an accepted student ATSU-SOMA thread...

Does anyone know of any apartments that include utilities around the area? I know most people choose to live at Colonial Grand since it's the closest but rent is also slightly higher than other complexes in the area...

Any advice on housing would be helpful!

Thanks
I would ask in the Facebook group. You should get good advice there.