A.T. Still University (ATSU-SOMA) Arizona Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current first year at SOMA checking in... Good luck to you all applying and interviewing soon! Loving the school so far even though we started super early. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I'll try to check in on the thread to answer any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Dr. SLC. Really good info and glad to hear you were well prepared for your residency. One further question, how was the academic studying during the second year? Was it most of your time or a lot of time in clinic. (X% of time studying and X% in clinic is what I'm looking for). Feel good going into your boards and whatnot? Thanks again for logging in to answer questions.

2nd year I pulled 4hrs per week in clinic, mainly just shadowing though I got to go in and get H&P plenty too. Preceptor generally assigned a topic or two for me to study and give him a 5 minute lesson on each week. No big deal.

>90% time available for studying.

Some classmates had 8-12hrs week but those of us in Stumptown only had 4, which I appreciated.

Class and study obligations were minimal (some perspective is warranted here, it is still med-school, and my wife will tell you I was still very busy). We all had our own routines down pat by then. Mine consisted of watching lectures on double speed from home, studying for a few hours per day, and the rest of the time I was able to chill with the family, visit the coast, sample the Portland food truck scene etc. I'd say it was rare that I didn't have the weekend free for recreational stuff, and I could spend most evenings with the wife and kids after 4 or 5pm. I was able to do this and still make high 80's-low 90's in my courses, and I'm not particularly smart, the curriculum just made a lot of sense to me. Like it was written for the way I learn and think or something.

Part of the beauty of SOMA's curriculum is that a lot of stuff gets repetitive by midway through 2nd year. You're usually pretty good with the basic and clinical sciences, enough that you can anticipate what they're going to teach and you end up not needing to spend much time on it because you've either seen it before or you can pretty-much guess what's relevant to the particular organ system you're in. The curriculum is demanding at first, but becomes more and more efficient and smooth as you go along. It really is pretty awesome in that sense.

Because of this, 2nd year was pretty chill for the most part IMO, though I know of classmates who struggled in 2nd year.

Either way, I had more than adequate time for board prep during 2nd year, including about 2 months of time dedicated completely to it before I took the tests in mid-June. I felt ready for both COMLEX and USMLE and did well on both. On 3rd year, I had a medicine rotation where my evaluation comments said that I understood pathophysiology better than the residents, and a few other things that seemed to indicate that I must've learned my stuff well in M1 and M2.

SOMA is geared toward teaching students to think like physicians from day1; you assimilate knowledge and apply it in an clinically relevant manner right away or you struggle with the exams. Every single test you take is board style, with questions that draw on everything you've learned thus far, and as it applies clinically whenever possible. This begins from day one of 1st year. If you can make it work with this curriculum, you'll be ready to perform on rotations and in residency at the end. That's my honest opinion.

That doesn't mean I don't have complaints about the school, I definitely do; but the actual education I got (which is the absolute most important thing in the end) isn't one of them.

No worries about logging in, I'm on overnights in L&D this week, not a lot going on as I'm generally a bit of a white cloud. I've got time on my hands right now. I enjoy talking with the folks coming up under me, I was one of the "ambassadors" who'll you'll meet on interview day so I'm sorta into talking about the school anyway.

Reactions: 9 users
2nd year I pulled 4hrs per week in clinic, mainly just shadowing though I got to go in and get H&P plenty too. Preceptor generally assigned a topic or two for me to study and give him a 5 minute lesson on each week. No big deal.

>90% time available for studying.

Some classmates had 8-12hrs week but those of us in Stumptown only had 4, which I appreciated.

Class and study obligations were minimal (some perspective is warranted here, it is still med-school, and my wife will tell you I was still very busy). We all had our own routines down pat by then. Mine consisted of watching lectures on double speed from home, studying for a few hours per day, and the rest of the time I was able to chill with the family, visit the coast, sample the Portland food truck scene etc. I'd say it was rare that I didn't have the weekend free for recreational stuff, and I could spend most evenings with the wife and kids after 4 or 5pm. I was able to do this and still make high 80's-low 90's in my courses, and I'm not particularly smart, the curriculum just made a lot of sense to me. Like it was written for the way I learn and think or something.

Part of the beauty of SOMA's curriculum is that a lot of stuff gets repetitive by midway through 2nd year. You're usually pretty good with the basic and clinical sciences, enough that you can anticipate what they're going to teach and you end up not needing to spend much time on it because you've either seen it before or you can pretty-much guess what's relevant to the particular organ system you're in. The curriculum is demanding at first, but becomes more and more efficient and smooth as you go along. It really is pretty awesome in that sense.

Because of this, 2nd year was pretty chill for the most part IMO, though I know of classmates who struggled in 2nd year.

Either way, I had more than adequate time for board prep during 2nd year, including about 2 months of time dedicated completely to it before I took the tests in mid-June. I felt ready for both COMLEX and USMLE and did well on both. On 3rd year, I had a medicine rotation where my evaluation comments said that I understood pathophysiology better than the residents, and a few other things that seemed to indicate that I must've learned my stuff well in M1 and M2.

SOMA is geared toward teaching students to think like physicians from day1; you assimilate knowledge and apply it in an clinically relevant manner right away or you struggle with the exams. Every single test you take is board style, with questions that draw on everything you've learned thus far, and as it applies clinically whenever possible. This begins from day one of 1st year. If you can make it work with this curriculum, you'll be ready to perform on rotations and in residency at the end. That's my honest opinion.

That doesn't mean I don't have complaints about the school, I definitely do; but the actual education I got (which is the absolute most important thing in the end) isn't one of them.

No worries about logging in, I'm on overnights in L&D this week, not a lot going on as I'm generally a bit of a white cloud. I've got time on my hands right now. I enjoy talking with the folks coming up under me, I was one of the "ambassadors" who'll you'll meet on interview day so I'm sorta into talking about the school anyway.

When I was writing my secondary for ATSU- SOMA, I realized there was a lot I liked about the curriculum and you just confirmed it. Thanks a lot and I hope to meet you at an interview some day. Enjoy that white cloud while you can. I was one for my first two years on my ambulance. It flips in a second and doesn't seem to go back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my secondary on 7/20. Have not received and II yet :( Hopes are high though..
29 MCAT (retake; raised exam from 25 MCAT)
3.79cGPA
3.67sGPA

Last edited:
II Last week! Very excited about this one!

Reactions: 2 users
Are the secondary essays less than 500 words? Sorry for asking, kinda late into the game. Thanks to anyone who answers!

For those of you receiving interviews, what are the dates you are being offered or are able to select from.

For those of you receiving interviews, what are the dates you are being offered or are able to select from.
I got offered with the first group so the only available date was the 28th on the portal(I am going then). If you couldn't make it you had to call them.

I couldn't make the 28th, so I asked and was scheduled for the 18th of September--that is the earliest date in September. I emailed Bianca to schedule and she is so nice!!

@SLC
Thank you for all of your help! I have another question regarding the CP curriculum. What exactly is the difference between CP and the typical lecture based curriculum? Everything seems to be discussed in terms of either lecture or PBL, so I'm unsure of where CP falls. I understand that there's ~120 clinical presentations that serve as the base, but what does that actually mean for the structure of the courses? The explanation on SOMA's website is quite vague and the scientific articles on the subject aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Member 2800800

I thought ATSU SOMA's education was patient-centered learning. What is CP?

Well, I guess the clinical presentation model is patient centered? I'm trying to figure out what CP is, too. Here's the excerpt from SOMA's website:

"CLINICAL PRESENTATION CURRICULAR MODEL
The ultimate goal of the SOMA educational program is to provide opportunities for medical students to acquire a solid foundation in the knowledge, skills, values, attitudes, and behaviors that are necessary for the effective practice of medicine. In order to achieve this goal, SOMA has adopted a clinical presentation or scheme presentation model that serves as the foundation of its curriculum. This model is based on the various ways patients present to physicians. Collectively, the clinical presentations represent common patient complaints (e.g., headache, abdominal pain), abnormalities of physical examination (e.g., systolic heart murmur), or abnormalities of commonly ordered laboratory studies, (e.g., anemia, hypocalcemia). Altogether, there are approximately 120 +/- 5 presentations that comprise the SOMA curriculum. The presentations serve as a starting point for the generation of relevant curricular content."

Reactions: 1 user
@SLC
Thank you for all of your help! I have another question regarding the CP curriculum. What exactly is the difference between CP and the typical lecture based curriculum? Everything seems to be discussed in terms of either lecture or PBL, so I'm unsure of where CP falls. I understand that there's ~120 clinical presentations that serve as the base, but what does that actually mean for the structure of the courses? The explanation on SOMA's website is quite vague and the scientific articles on the subject aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

The main difference between CP and the typical lecture based curriculum is that we do not have separate courses for each basic and clinical science discipline. Instead of having a biochemistry course, for example, you get biochemistry lectures at random as they apply to the CP you're studying. And all the exams have some biochemistry woven in (the amount corresponding to how many lectures were given in that particular inter-exam period)

Other schools have a biochemistry course that you go through for a few weeks/months. SOMA doesn't. All subjects last for the entire 2 years because they are taught in the context of the CP/organ system that's being covered at the moment.

The other main difference (though it's related) is that there's no set basic science and clinical science years, many schools do basic in M1 and Clinical in M2. SOMA blends them both the entire time.

That's probably not that clear, let me know if I need to clarify further.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
II just now! Scheduled for the 28th!

The main difference between CP and the typical lecture based curriculum is that we do not have separate courses for each basic and clinical science discipline. Instead of having a biochemistry course, for example, you get biochemistry lectures at random as they apply to the CP you're studying. And all the exams have some biochemistry woven in (the amount corresponding to how many lectures were given in that particular inter-exam period)

Other schools have a biochemistry course that you go through for a few weeks/months. SOMA doesn't. All subjects last for the entire 2 years because they are taught in the context of the CP/organ system that's being covered at the moment.

The other main difference (though it's related) is that there's no set basic science and clinical science years, many schools do basic in M1 and Clinical in M2. SOMA blends them both the entire time.

I'm already in love. Thank you for explaining, @SLC !

Just got an interview invite! 3.5/3.7 28
One of my top choices, so I'm very excited. Does anyone know if the CHCs are first come first served or a match this year?

Just got an interview invite! 3.5/3.7 28
One of my top choices, so I'm very excited. Does anyone know if the CHCs are first come first served or a match this year?

Likely first come first served.

My year and the year after Me pretty much ruined the chance of doing a match ever again.

II last night! Very excited to check out this school and see the differences in here and kcom

What was the turn around from secondary complete receipt to II for those of you who got II's?

That helps a lot, thank you!!

What was the turn around from secondary complete receipt to II for those of you who got II's?
Got an email got my secondary June 25, July 7th saying they received my secondary, and II on August 5th. I never got a complete email.

Does anyone know what other days of the week interviews are available? Right now my portal only shows August 28 and I cannot go that day. I am hoping for an interview on a Tuesday or Wednesday if that is possible?

Does anyone know what other days of the week interviews are available? Right now my portal only shows August 28 and I cannot go that day. I am hoping for an interview on a Tuesday or Wednesday if that is possible?
i think they're only on fridays until feb/march then there is saturday options?? not positive though.

For those of you who are interviewing next week-- how are you going to dress with the heat? is the campus tour alot of walking outside or do we stay inside the whole time?

For those of you who are interviewing next week-- how are you going to dress with the heat? is the campus tour alot of walking outside or do we stay inside the whole time?
Should be inside, you guys don't really have a reason to tour the other buildings. Also, for future reference, all interviews are on Fridays.

Reactions: 4 users
Black wool suit lol

Sounds like it's taking about a month from when the secondary was complete to hear back regarding interviews? Can anyone confirm?

Sounds like it's taking about a month from when the secondary was complete to hear back regarding interviews? Can anyone confirm?
Took a month and ten days for me to get an II after submitting my secondary.

All booked and ready for the interview on Sept 18th. Anyone have any advice?

Of my original 20 medical schools, this is the only one I have not sent a secondary to. I think I'm nearly burnt out on essays, and it doesn't help this school has 5 :yeahright:

Interviewing next Friday-- anyone going to the social on Thursday?

What are you wearing to the social?
Uuuh khakis?

No but really- haven't decided yet. Something business casual? More toward the casual side. dressier sandals, sleeveless blouse. But I'm a girl sooo don't know how much this will help you

now the next question is how do we prepare for the MMI... i didn't see any feedback on the SDN interview section

now the next question is how do we prepare for the MMI... i didn't see any feedback on the SDN interview section
You really can't prepare that much for an MMI (I just had a strictly MMI interview today) you can look up some examples of questions and practice your timing but they are really random.

Anyone else rolling solo to the social on Thursday night?