A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the call after being notified they would make a decision on the 24th: ACCEPTED!!
Me too!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I recently was accepted into ATSU and I had a question about the boards. I was wondering if anybody knew how much time do they give 2nd year medical students to study for the comlex step 1 once classes end.

I think abolt is right, we get between 4-7 weeks or so. I'm also a 2017 student, and KCOM started a new curriculum for our year that 2018 will get also. I mention the new curriculum because I feel like the way KCOM has structured our testing will be beneficial for board prep during the first 2 years. We have block exams every 3 weeks, and our semester finals are comprehensive ( an 8 hour exam split into 4 tests, similar to the amount of time you'd spend taking a board exam). We just found out this semester that a decent number of our classes (i.e. Infectious Disease, Pharmacology, and some others I haven't looked into yet) will also be comprehensive, for the entire 2 years of material, at the end of our 2nd year. I think to some degree they will also schedule more free study time into our 4th semester to allow more time for board prep, however I need to verify first so don't quote me on it :)

I think abolt is right, we get between 4-7 weeks or so. I'm also a 2017 student, and KCOM started a new curriculum for our year that 2018 will get also. I mention the new curriculum because I feel like the way KCOM has structured our testing will be beneficial for board prep during the first 2 years. We have block exams every 3 weeks, and our semester finals are comprehensive ( an 8 hour exam split into 4 tests, similar to the amount of time you'd spend taking a board exam). We just found out this semester that a decent number of our classes (i.e. Infectious Disease, Pharmacology, and some others I haven't looked into yet) will also be comprehensive, for the entire 2 years of material, at the end of our 2nd year. I think to some degree they will also schedule more free study time into our 4th semester to allow more time for board prep, however I need to verify first so don't quote me on it :)

Thanks for the reply. I was just worried about not having enough time for board studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering about student apartment housing in Kirksville through ATSU. Is it a good balance of comfort / economical? I don't know anyone in Kirksville and was trying to find the best fit. I was looking on the website and just wondering

I was wondering about student apartment housing in Kirksville through ATSU. Is it a good balance of comfort / economical? I don't know anyone in Kirksville and was trying to find the best fit. I was looking on the website and just wondering

I don't know much about student housing. I'd say use the facebook page. Most of us 2017ers are on it and we don't mind helping you with any housing or other questions. As for me, I live off campus, I'm right across the street from school and love it. My internet is better, and my rent is about the same. I had to furnish it myself however

Reactions: 1 user
I just received my welcome packet, and on the admission agreement, it mentions that I am required to have specific laptop computer of which purchasing specifics will be provided by ATSU by March 15. I just bought a new MacBook Pro over Christmas. Does anyone know if this computer will satisfy the specific laptop requirement? Thanks so much for your help!

I don't know much about student housing. I'd say use the facebook page. Most of us 2017ers are on it and we don't mind helping you with any housing or other questions. As for me, I live off campus, I'm right across the street from school and love it. My internet is better, and my rent is about the same. I had to furnish it myself however

What is the name of the complex? Is it a one bedroom or two? How much do you pay a month if you don't mind me asking

I just received my welcome packet, and on the admission agreement, it mentions that I am required to have specific laptop computer of which purchasing specifics will be provided by ATSU by March 15. I just bought a new MacBook Pro over Christmas. Does anyone know if this computer will satisfy the specific laptop requirement? Thanks so much for your help!
It more than satisfies the needs for school. Personally I NEVER use my laptop. Ever. Ipad all day every day.

What is the name of the complex? Is it a one bedroom or two? How much do you pay a month if you don't mind me asking

The complex I'm in is called Marvin Gardens. The realtor is called Four Horizons and they have properties all around campus and Kirksville. 2 bed, 1 bath, decent sized living room space(I love this). Washer, Drier, central AC(a must in Kirksville I think!). $465/mo.

So I submitted my secondary here in November and I haven't heard anything yet. No rejection or invite for an interview. Should I contact them? Or do you think that would be annoying?

So I submitted my secondary here in November and I haven't heard anything yet. No rejection or invite for an interview. Should I contact them? Or do you think that would be annoying?
At this point I'm sure you're fine to make an inquiry. I think they'd told me to wait something like 60 days before I asked, but that was earlier in the cycle.

So based on a little research I did on this thread, being put on hold is as good as rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
So based on a little research I did on this thread, being put on hold is as good as rejection?

Not necessarily (based solely off of myself). When did you interview / get your hold message? I was placed on hold at the beginning of December and then accepted in January.

The complex I'm in is called Marvin Gardens. The realtor is called Four Horizons and they have properties all around campus and Kirksville. 2 bed, 1 bath, decent sized living room space(I love this). Washer, Drier, central AC(a must in Kirksville I think!). $465/mo.

Thanks for the info!

Not necessarily (based solely off of myself). When did you interview / get your hold message? I was placed on hold at the beginning of December and then accepted in January.

I did not even interview. It was my first choice.

Last edited:
How long does it usually take to get news of an acceptance?

How many people interview in each group? Thanks for the responses. This forum is so helpful!

How many people interview in each group? Thanks for the responses. This forum is so helpful!

Do you mean how many others interview with you? Or how many people interview you? You have 3 interviewers interview you one on one (a physician, admissions staff, and a professor). I had about 8-10 other people in my group interviewing at approximately the same time. With about 8-10 interviewing in the afternoon (mine were in the morning)

I meant how many people interview with me. Thanks for the response.

TO the people who were accepted, do you mind sharing your GPA science, cuml and MCAT score?

Do you mean how many others interview with you? Or how many people interview you? You have 3 interviewers interview you one on one (a physician, admissions staff, and a professor). I had about 8-10 other people in my group interviewing at approximately the same time. With about 8-10 interviewing in the afternoon (mine were in the morning)
Is it a group interview? You being interviewed with other applicants all at the same time?

Is it a group interview? You being interviewed with other applicants all at the same time?

No. It's one on one. But there's a group of people who are interviewing at the same time as you, just with different people.

sGPA- 3.78
cGPA-3.87
MCAT-29

I'm turning down my acceptance this week. It was a tough choice, so luckily someone who really wants it gets the spot!

Looking at you guys stats...I am getting worried that I won't be able to get II.... I was complete on 11/11/13, but they sent me an e mail about 2 weeks ago that they finished reviewing my stuff and wanted my last semester GPA. So nervous..! Are interview spots still open? Does anybody know?!

Looking at you guys stats...I am getting worried that I won't be able to get II.... I was complete on 11/11/13, but they sent me an e mail about 2 weeks ago that they finished reviewing my stuff and wanted my last semester GPA. So nervous..! Are interview spots still open? Does anybody know?!

I was complete in early November and interviewed in early January. My stats are a bit lower than the people have been posting here. 3.59 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, and 26 MCAT. I am in-state and did go to undergrad in Missouri for what that is worth.

I haven't heard back yet but I will keep you posted about my status.

I was complete in early November and interviewed in early January. My stats are a bit lower than the people have been posting here. 3.59 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, and 26 MCAT. I am in-state and did go to undergrad in Missouri for what that is worth.

I haven't heard back yet but I will keep you posted about my status.

Thank you so much!!! You're awesome. I am from midwest but not from MO....I lived in Kirksville for 4 years though because my dad went to the med school there..lol so I really hope to go there as well...I have kind of weak Science GPA.. my stats are : 3.1 sgpa, 3.6 cgpa 28 mcat. Non-Science major.

Thank you so much!!! You're awesome. I am from midwest but not from MO....I lived in Kirksville for 4 years though because my dad went to the med school there..lol so I really hope to go there as well...I have kind of weak Science GPA.. my stats are : 3.1 sgpa, 3.6 cgpa 28 mcat. Non-Science major.

Legacy? Have to think that'll help, at least.

Hey, has anyone that interviewed January 13th heard back yet?

Maybe I am computer illiterate and completely overlooking it, but how do I access the class of 2018 Facebook page?

Maybe I am computer illiterate and completely overlooking it, but how do I access the class of 2018 Facebook page?
You should get an email from Andrea with a link.

I'm getting pretty nervous. I interviewed 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. Was/is anyone else in this situation?

Accepted, just got the call! Here is a timeline for all those still waiting, best of luck and patience is key!
Submitted Secondary: 12/06/13
Secondary Marked Complete: 12/09/13
Interview Invite: 12/13/13
Interview Date: 01/13/14
Acceptance Date: 02/03/14

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted, just got the call! Here is a timeline for all those still waiting, best of luck and patience is key!
Submitted Secondary: 12/06/13
Secondary Marked Complete: 12/09/13
Interview Invite: 12/13/13
Interview Date: 01/13/14
Acceptance Date: 02/03/14

Congrats! What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Are we allowed to buy the iPad before school starts?? Is it discounted if we wait?

Are we allowed to buy the iPad before school starts?? Is it discounted if we wait?
You are allowed, and it is not discounted. In my opinion, you could very well just buy the newest iPad if you can get it a little cheaper, then they give you a bunch of apps when you get here.

I should add, the only reason I did not buy mine in advance is that in doing it through the school, it is covered by school loans (didn't have to pay out of my bank account).

I assume not hearing anything after 3+ weeks is probably bad news? Possibly rejection/wait-list letter in the mail?

Anyone on the alternate list that has heard anything? Or current students that can shed light on this process?

So I've been complete since mid December and have yet to hear anything. First time I called, they told me I'd hear by the end of January. Second time I called, they said they can keep my file in review as long as they want. What's the deal? I'm just worried because it's getting late for interview invites.

So I've been complete since mid December and have yet to hear anything. First time I called, they told me I'd hear by the end of January. Second time I called, they said they can keep my file in review as long as they want. What's the deal? I'm just worried because it's getting late for interview invites.

I got an II about 6 weeks after i was complete. I interviewed about 4 weeks ago and haven't heard back yet. I guess they are a little slower this time in the cycle. Probably trying to figure out how many spots are left and how many more IIs and acceptances to give. Hang in there.

I got an II about 6 weeks after i was complete. I interviewed about 4 weeks ago and haven't heard back yet. I guess they are a little slower this time in the cycle. Probably trying to figure out how many spots are left and how many more IIs and acceptances to give. Hang in there.

Thanks! Hopefully you hear soon!

Current students-- I just got the housing email, but I'm waiting to hear back from one more school before I decide for sure that I'm going to KCOM. Realistically, how long do I have before all the on-campus housing is full? Also, do I even want on-campus housing? What do people living there now think of it?