A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I swear no one uses the thread specific search function or actually tried to find answers in threads.

Yes the waitlist had seen action in past years. With that knowledge, one can assume with an accepted pending, your chances are high that you'll get pulled sooner. No idea how much waitlist action there is.
I like when people go too far the other way and bump old threads from 1999.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted pending! on 3/3. Interviewed 2/14

Anyone know if the "accepted pending seat" (gauranteed seat class of 2019) list gets much movement and if students put on this list are ranked at all?

I was under the impression they pulled from the accepted pending list in the order you were placed on there, but I could be way off on that.

Accepted pending! on 3/3. Interviewed 2/14

I was under the impression they pulled from the accepted pending list in the order you were placed on there, but I could be way off on that.

I called and asked admissions if they had a ranking for the accepted pending seat and what position I was. They said they don't rank it and they couldn't tell me a position. All I wanna know is if I have a chance this year or if I should tell my work I am not starting for another year. Even if I was ranked last I would still be happy with that.....then I could have an idea what my near future holds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called and asked admissions if they had a ranking for the accepted pending seat and what position I was. They said they don't rank it and they couldn't tell me a position. All I wanna know is if I have a chance this year or if I should tell my work I am not starting for another year. Even if I was ranked last I would still be happy with that.....then I could have an idea what my near future holds.
Honestly, I don't thing you'll get more clarification than that until you get the actual call. I'd suggest just telling your work to count on you being around another year. You only need to give them 2 weeks notice anyway. I hope you get the call sooner than later, but it's definitely easier if they plan on you sticking around than if you tell them you're probably leaving and they try to fill your spot before you even have an official acceptance for this year.

It really depends on the time frame. In previous years they have gone through the entire Accepted Pending list before the first month of summer. One year a guy got a call two weeks before class started, asking if he would like a seat in that years class. It is hard to tell when they will move and how much. One thing I can say is that within the next couple of weeks there should be movement. A lot of the deposits are coming due.

I am not sure how exactly they pull from the list either. I had someone interview before another but get called a week after the person who interviewed two weeks later. So, there is no way to tell their system. The moral of the story is that if you are on the accepted pending list, you have a great shot of getting in this year. If not this year, you are GUARANTEED a spot for the next cycle, with no additional submissions. The alternate list is only used if they run through the entire accepted pending list. So, not to stomp anyones hopes and dreams, but if you are on this list, don't put too much faith in getting a call. It does happen, but not every cycle.

Also, the biomed program here is a good way to get your foot in the door. It gets you an ALMOST guaranteed spot after you complete the program.

Anymore questions, feel free to post or send me a PM.

-Austin (I am assuming "abolt18" is the other Austin, Class of 2017 represent!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My next deposit is due by April 15. There should be some movement soon.

It really depends on the time frame. In previous years they have gone through the entire Accepted Pending list before the first month of summer. One year a guy got a call two weeks before class started, asking if he would like a seat in that years class. It is hard to tell when they will move and how much. One thing I can say is that within the next couple of weeks there should be movement. A lot of the deposits are coming due.

I am not sure how exactly they pull from the list either. I had someone interview before another but get called a week after the person who interviewed two weeks later. So, there is no way to tell their system. The moral of the story is that if you are on the accepted pending list, you have a great shot of getting in this year. If not this year, you are GUARANTEED a spot for the next cycle, with no additional submissions. The alternate list is only used if they run through the entire accepted pending list. So, not to stomp anyones hopes and dreams, but if you are on this list, don't put too much faith in getting a call. It does happen, but not every cycle.

Also, the biomed program here is a good way to get your foot in the door. It gets you an ALMOST guaranteed spot after you complete the program.

Anymore questions, feel free to post or send me a PM.

-Austin
C'mon man, I do try to maintain SOME anonymity haha. Only @coolingglasses will ever know who really I am!

Is that your last deposit due date or are there more after that date as well?
That is the last deposit for most DO schools so you tend to see a lot of movement in the weeks following.

That is the last deposit for most DO schools so you tend to see a lot of movement in the weeks following.

OK. Thank you for your response.

Do you know of any good resources where I can find out more information about housing options in Kirksville? I used the link on ATSU's website for new students and it wasn't very helpful. I have resorted to craigslist which is just fair. I would really like to find a small place with a garage/carport and washer/dryer connections.

Do you know of any good resources where I can find out more information about housing options in Kirksville? I used the link on ATSU's website for new students and it wasn't very helpful. I have resorted to craigslist which is just fair. I would really like to find a small place with a garage/carport and washer/dryer connections.

My phone isn't good or I'd post the links, but do a Google search and there are a few companies that have lots of properties.

My phone isn't good or I'd post the links, but do a Google search and there are a few companies that have lots of properties.

I had good fortune with Heritage House in finding a place. For my n=1 sample, they were pretty relaxed and easy to work with and found me exactly what I requested.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK. Thank you for the tips. I hope I can find something reasonable.

C'mon man, I do try to maintain SOME anonymity haha. Only @coolingglasses will ever know who really I am!

haha, I know there are more of us lurking too

Definitely check google, each of the major rental agencies has a website with their listings. Just punch in Kirksville rental properties or something.

Is there anyway to check your application status now that the secondaries window has closed? The site just says it's no longer accepting secondaries now but now I'm confused on how to check my status (not that it's changed any, probably)

I had good fortune with Heritage House in finding a place. For my n=1 sample, they were pretty relaxed and easy to work with and found me exactly what I requested.
Make that sample size=2. Heritage house was also able to find me exactly what I requested.

Is there anyway to check your application status now that the secondaries window has closed? The site just says it's no longer accepting secondaries now but now I'm confused on how to check my status (not that it's changed any, probably)
Hey, sorry I'm really not sure what you can do other than call the admissions office about that one. They are super nice though so I hope it works out for you!

Taken off the "accepted pending list" on March 11th
Accepted! :)
Interviewed 2/21/2014

Reactions: 4 users
Well everyone, I've got a week off class for spring break so ask away, any questions you'd like about ATSU KCOM you'd like. I'll do my best to answer according to my knowledge.

Well everyone, I've got a week off class for spring break so ask away, any questions you'd like about ATSU KCOM you'd like. I'll do my best to answer according to my knowledge.

How does class difficulty compare from first to second semester?

During first semester, how many days each week are you in anatomy lab and how long is the lab? Are OMM and anatomy lab on the same day?

How does class difficulty compare from first to second semester?

During first semester, how many days each week are you in anatomy lab and how long is the lab? Are OMM and anatomy lab on the same day?

I would say second semester is significantly more difficult! Not because the material is necessarily harder, but there is a LOT more of it, and now that we have more pathology and principles of medicine/principles of surgery, it requires a different kind of learning and studying than your basic sciences do. It makes me laugh when I think about first block of last semester and how much time and work I had to put in for such a light block. You adapt. I definitely spend a lot more hours studying now though because we have so much more to learn.

You will knock out almost all of anatomy in the first semester so it's very anatomy heavy. We were frequently in the anatomy lab 3-4 afternoons a week. Each lab varies. Sometimes half the class dissects while the other half has a case presentation of sort from a local physician (usually for 1 hour), then that half goes to the lab to help finish up and take the ID quiz. All labs start with a 4 question quiz based on the lecture/Grant's dissector. This may be altered slightly for you guys. OMM and anatomy lab were very frequently on the same day, and I actually loved that because it meant there were less lectures to study after I got out of anatomy lab.

What do you think about being at the oldest DO school? What is your opinion of the older buildings compared to the new buildings (does everyone run to the study rooms in the new building)? How often do people go to the state parks?

What do you think about being at the oldest DO school? What is your opinion of the older buildings compared to the new buildings (does everyone run to the study rooms in the new building)? How often do people go to the state parks?
It's a great school, I'll never have to worry about reputation issues that newer schools may have. I'm more than content with everything the school has to offer. While being old, they try to keep ahead of the game with many things like integrating ultrasound into our curriculum(which is awesome).
A handful of students (myself) spend their study time in the new building, but everyone just finds their own place to study (library, breakout rooms, home, classrooms).
People go to the state parks quite a bit.

I would say second semester is significantly more difficult! Not because the material is necessarily harder, but there is a LOT more of it, and now that we have more pathology and principles of medicine/principles of surgery, it requires a different kind of learning and studying than your basic sciences do. It makes me laugh when I think about first block of last semester and how much time and work I had to put in for such a light block. You adapt. I definitely spend a lot more hours studying now though because we have so much more to learn.

You will knock out almost all of anatomy in the first semester so it's very anatomy heavy. We were frequently in the anatomy lab 3-4 afternoons a week. Each lab varies. Sometimes half the class dissects while the other half has a case presentation of sort from a local physician (usually for 1 hour), then that half goes to the lab to help finish up and take the ID quiz. All labs start with a 4 question quiz based on the lecture/Grant's dissector. This may be altered slightly for you guys. OMM and anatomy lab were very frequently on the same day, and I actually loved that because it meant there were less lectures to study after I got out of anatomy lab.

Is the schedule of classes and labs highly variable from week to week?

Is the schedule of classes and labs highly variable from week to week?
Honestly yeah it is definitely changing all the time. The most consistent things I can think of is OTM from 8-10 on Tuesday and Thursday mornings (sometimes only an hour, but almost always Tuesday and Thursday mornings), and Wednesday afternoons they try to leave more open for study time, giving people time to get caught up on the week's material. Other than that, it is always changing.

I was accepted to my instate school today and will be giving up my seat at KCOM so the pending list should be moving. KCOM is an awesome school but staying close to home is better for my child. Good luck all!!!

I like what I've heard so far :) Thanks for answering questions here! I'm excited about using learning ultrasound and that's what helped me pick KCOM over another school. Plus I thought the anatomy lab and the available resources were nicer. Did many students in your class use the computer software in the anatomy lab?

I'm also curious about orientation - what takes place that first week? What courses, other than anatomy, did you take first semester? Any electives? Did you join any of the clubs?

I was accepted to my instate school today and will be giving up my seat at KCOM so the pending list should be moving. KCOM is an awesome school but staying close to home is better for my child. Good luck all!!!

Congrats! Good luck to you too!.... I hope I get you seat tho! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I like what I've heard so far :) Thanks for answering questions here! I'm excited about using learning ultrasound and that's what helped me pick KCOM over another school. Plus I thought the anatomy lab and the available resources were nicer. Did many students in your class use the computer software in the anatomy lab?

I'm also curious about orientation - what takes place that first week? What courses, other than anatomy, did you take first semester? Any electives? Did you join any of the clubs?
We all use the software (VH Dissector) in the lab. It's required we use it, as lab quiz questions and anatomy practical questions come directly from it frequently. Orientation is boring and could be made into about 1 day, but it's fun at first when you're getting to know a bunch of your classmates. First semester covers almost all of anatomy and a bunch of biochem, phsyiology, histology, microbiology, immunology, pathology, pharmacology, Complete DOctor, and OTM. That's all I can think of right now but it's just a ton of foundational stuff you need for future courses. No electives first semester. I joined a couple clubs, but I'm finding they're GENERALLY a waste of money (you're basically just buying a t-shirt and very few meetings). Some clubs are more active than others.

I am currently trying to make the decision between attending KCOM or Mizzou...there are so many things I loved about KCOM and feel like it will help me become the doctor I want to be but I keep reading things that say pick MD if you have the choice because it will make your life easier/there will be less challenges in the future. So torn. Any advice?

I am currently trying to make the decision between attending KCOM or Mizzou...there are so many things I loved about KCOM and feel like it will help me become the doctor I want to be but I keep reading things that say pick MD if you have the choice because it will make your life easier/there will be less challenges in the future. So torn. Any advice?

It is a tough choice. I would pick kcom if the tuition was the same....but it's not.

Yeah I don't know how much tuition is at Mizzou, but if it's under 40K a year, I'd automatically go there. KCOM is an awesome school, but $$$ speaks loudly to me.

I guess I should have stated that money isn't a factor because I am joining the air force so my school will be paid for.

I guess I should have stated that money isn't a factor because I am joining the air force so my school will be paid for.
Then it's tough. I love KCOM but can't really speak to the quality of MIZZOU. I don't know if I could handle PBL. While I don't go to class, I appreciate the direction we have from lecture based curriculum. Good luck with your decision!

Then it's tough. I love KCOM but can't really speak to the quality of MIZZOU. I don't know if I could handle PBL. While I don't go to class, I appreciate the direction we have from lecture based curriculum. Good luck with your decision!

I wasn't aware mizzou had patient based learning, for me that would be a huge negative. I believe the group learning idea is very inefficient. I prefer being told what i need to know in lecture and then studying on my own.

Where were you happier is the thing? Are you a city kid or a country kid? I'd love to be selfish and say pick Columbia so I might have a chance at your spot, but you need to pick where you'd be happiest.

I called the admissions office and they confirmed what you said about not ranking the "accepted pending" list. They told me they pull off that list individuals that have similar scores as to the spot they are filling... eg. if a student that had a 32MCAT and 3.5 GPA that was accepted to KCOM decided not to go to KCOM, they would pull someone off the "accepted pending list" that most closely matches a 32MCAT and 3.5GPA...

The only reason I can think they do that is so that they will have the same or similar class statistics as before but I don't know that is their reasoning for sure.... SO there is really no way of knowing if/when someone would be pulled off of that list.

I will just tell my work that I am staying for a year until I know differently since KCOM is my number one choice.
Hope this information helps.

I called the admissions office and they confirmed what you said about not ranking the "accepted pending" list. They told me they pull off that list individuals that have similar scores as to the spot they are filling... eg. if a student that had a 32MCAT and 3.5 GPA that was accepted to KCOM decided not to go to KCOM, they would pull someone off the "accepted pending list" that most closely matches a 32MCAT and 3.5GPA...

The only reason I can think they do that is so that they will have the same or similar class statistics as before but I don't know that is their reasoning for sure.... SO there is really no way of knowing if/when someone would be pulled off of that list.

I will just tell my work that I am staying for a year until I know differently since KCOM is my number one choice.
Hope this information helps.

Thanks so much for sharing!!! All I can hope is that someone with around a 26 MCAT and 3.8 GPA declines! ha ha ha ..... I am thinking I am going to tell my work the same thing... I just feel bad only giving them 2 weeks of notice or possibly less. I know 2 weeks is standard, but I am a weirdo :) ..... Good luck to you!!! Hopefully we will both get calls (I assume you are on the accepted pending seat too).

Thanks so much for sharing!!! All I can hope is that someone with around a 26 MCAT and 3.8 GPA declines! ha ha ha ..... I am thinking I am going to tell my work the same thing... I just feel bad only giving them 2 weeks of notice or possibly less. I know 2 weeks is standard, but I am a weirdo :) ..... Good luck to you!!! Hopefully we will both get calls (I assume you are on the accepted pending seat too).

lol I completely understand.
I actually was just totally honest with my work saying that I could be there for a year or I could give them two weeks notice. They were very understanding.
Yes, I am accepted pending a seat for this school as well. Maybe we will be classmates soon :)

Interviewed on 1/13. I was told a couple weeks ago that I would know by April 7. Still no news. Does any one know if this is a good thing/bad thing/neutral? Thanks for any responses!

I can't tell you much about their med school, but that was where I went for undergrad. I have a few friends/acquaintances there and they don't seem to complain much, but I guess I never really ask about it. As far as PBL goes, I told myself I could handle it as I was writing my application but I'm not really sure I could do it as the sole curriculum.

What I will say is that University Hospital and the rest of the MU Health Care system is really impressive. I know at KCOM we have rotation sites across the country (which was actually a draw for me) but I can't imagine Mizzou has to send their students out--it seems like they have everything you'd need right there. I went through a different health professions program and had the privilege of learning at a variety sites all over the city.

This may be a little less relevant since a med student won't have the same amount of free time I did when I was there, but it's a really fun place to live. Most of your amenities are right there in town. Columbia is undergoing a lot of development (most of which I like, a little I don't). The campus is amazing when it's not laden with construction. [I'm waxing nostalgic of course, you probably picked up on a lot of this during your tour.]

I say all that but I'm not dismissing KCOM either. I'm happy I ended up here. You took the tour during your interview so you know what's around campus. I got relatively cheap housing a block away and I love it. If you live further away, you don't fight for parking the way that I know you do at MU. And there's no rush hour traffic that makes getting in and out of campus impossible. There are a couple of bars and a handful of restaurants in the immediate area. Based on a conversation I had the other day, the gym is supposed to be great when they're done renovating it (~late April). The rec center at MU is state of the art but I can't even begin to count how often I had to stand in line for equipment, I had to schedule my workouts an hour before close. Despite being remote and missing some of my favorite things, there are a lot of little conveniences that you come to appreciate when you're just trying to stay on top of your classes. The curriculum is tough, but... that's the nature of med school. I know there are other schools where they ride you a lot harder than they do here.

We all use the software (VH Dissector) in the lab. It's required we use it, as lab quiz questions and anatomy practical questions come directly from it frequently. Orientation is boring and could be made into about 1 day, but it's fun at first when you're getting to know a bunch of your classmates. First semester covers almost all of anatomy and a bunch of biochem, phsyiology, histology, microbiology, immunology, pathology, pharmacology, Complete DOctor, and OTM. That's all I can think of right now but it's just a ton of foundational stuff you need for future courses. No electives first semester. I joined a couple clubs, but I'm finding they're GENERALLY a waste of money (you're basically just buying a t-shirt and very few meetings). Some clubs are more active than others.

Haha, that's pretty much all I got from orientation. As far as clubs go, I only joined a handful. The best ones for me were the smaller clubs where you have the opportunity to participate more, or catered to a really niche interest.

Interviewed on 1/13. I was told a couple weeks ago that I would know by April 7. Still no news. Does any one know if this is a good thing/bad thing/neutral? Thanks for any responses!

My guess is it's relatively neutral, they probably get backlogged reviewing applications as the cycle drags on. If they said April 7th, keep waiting. I know they didn't call me until the last day of the timeline they gave me.

Reactions: 1 users
I got a rejection email from them. I forgot I applied here. Derp City.

Haha, that's pretty much all I got from orientation. As far as clubs go, I only joined a handful. The best ones for me were the smaller clubs where you have the opportunity to participate more, or catered to a really niche interest.

I plan on going to orientation but is it mandatory? Is it all day, every day that week? I'll probably be moving the weekend before and it would be nice to have some free time to settle in. :)

I plan on going to orientation but is it mandatory? Is it all day, every day that week? I'll probably be moving the weekend before and it would be nice to have some free time to settle in. :)
Yes required, no not ALL day every day, and yes it's all week. You should still have plenty of time to get things done at home. Just make the best of orientation and try to meet as many people as you can (even though it'll take you months to remember everyone's names)

Reactions: 2 users
Is it safe to say that if I haven't gotten an II yet that it's over ? haha I was complete as of 3/18

Is it safe to say that if I haven't gotten an II yet that it's over ? haha I was complete as of 3/18
Submitted my II Feb 27th ish, the links that Interfolio had said I could insert in place of the LOR writer's emails didn't automatically send, and I was informed they had to be in hand that following Wed I believe (about the 5th ish of Mar). I do believe it is over. But hey, you've got everything ready for next cycle, right? You can reapply that much earlier. :)

Last edited:
I submitted my II Feb 27th ish, the links that Interfolio had said I could insert in place of the LOR writer's emails didn't automatically send, and I was informed they had to be in hand that following Wed I believe (about the 5th ish of Mar). I do believe it is over. But hey, you've got everything ready for next cycle, right? You can reapply that much earlier. :)

Complete since November and never heard back. Oh wells...

See below post quoted from Superman DO

KCOM Match List 2014
(not 100%)

Anesthesiology Des Peres HospitalSt. Louis, MO
Anesthesiology Northeast Regional Medical CenterKirksville, MO
Anesthesiology St. Louis UniversitySt. Louis, MO
Anesthesiology Washington UniversitySt. Louis, MO
Anesthesiology University of KentuckyLexington, KY
Anesthesiology Albany Medical CenterAlbany, NY

Emergency MedicineMadigan Army Medical CenterTacoma, WA