A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an accepted pending a seat email today, with a guaranteed seat in 2015!!!! I'am so happy that I can stand it!!!!! Kirksville is my top choice and I replied to Donna's email saying that.

With that being said, what do y'all think of my chances to get in this year? (I interviewed 1/13) Thanks for all replies!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Got an accepted pending a seat email today, with a guaranteed seat in 2015!!!! I'am so happy that I can stand it!!!!! Kirksville is my top choice and I replied to Donna's email saying that.

With that being said, what do y'all think of my chances to get in this year? (I interviewed 1/13) Thanks for all replies!!!!

I received mine today too, I interviewed 1/31 and hoping to get a seat this year as well. Fingers crossed for both of us.

I called and asked admissions if they had a ranking for the accepted pending seat and what position I was. They said they don't rank it and they couldn't tell me a position. All I wanna know is if I have a chance this year or if I should tell my work I am not starting for another year. Even if I was ranked last I would still be happy with that.....then I could have an idea what my near future holds.
Im with you on that one! I am going to cross my fingers- seems im in the same boat you are. 2014 seems like a wonderful year to start medical school, C'MON KCOM!

Members don't see this ad :)
Outright rejection letter received. Interviewed 3/14. Applicants for next cycle reading this, apply as early as you can. I had over 135 hrs shadowing DOs and MDs, a 3.81 GPA, and a 26R.

I'm ignorant on this subject. What's so special about Peds at UK?

Nothing overly special by SDN terms. But, that is where I matched and I'm incredibly happy to be going to Lexington.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for sharing with me your secret identity Clark Kent!

I know I am still a little early (been told April 15th is the final deposit deadline date)...... but anyone here been accepted off the "accepted pending seat list" recently?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had no idea. You sneaky snake! =P Major oops on my part.
I will never share your true identity! Besides, not like anyone that's not at school has access to it. Congrats on matching where you wanted to go!

I will never share your true identity! Besides, not like anyone that's not at school has access to it. Congrats on matching where you wanted to go!

Thanks =)

Current students-- I decided for sure on KCOM recently. I'm way out of state (>12 hour drive) and wondering what advice you wish you had when moving to Kirksville. I'm especially wondering how bad the weather is gonna be...should I invest in a more snow-friendly car (the apartment I rented is a couple miles off campus, so I'll need to drive)? Also, how big of a deal is the white coat ceremony? Do most out-of-state people ask friends/family to make the drive up to see it?

Current students-- I decided for sure on KCOM recently. I'm way out of state (>12 hour drive) and wondering what advice you wish you had when moving to Kirksville. I'm especially wondering how bad the weather is gonna be...should I invest in a more snow-friendly car (the apartment I rented is a couple miles off campus, so I'll need to drive)? Also, how big of a deal is the white coat ceremony? Do most out-of-state people ask friends/family to make the drive up to see it?

When I was in Kirksville, we had a nasty blizzard my first year and an overall bad winter. My little Yaris is definitely not made for the snow, but it got around just fine. Kirksville did a fairly good job of snow removal, even if they do decide to just pile the scraped snow in the middle of downtown lol.

The white coat ceremony is a big deal for incoming medical students (by the time 4th year arrives though, you really come to hate that short, ugly coat). My parents made the trip to come see the ceremony. Since my hometown was 12-13 hours away too, I did not ask anyone else to come. If they wanted to see it, they could watch the dvd made for us. But, maybe the are streaming the ceremony live online now? I know they are for graduation which is why I'm not asking anybody to make the trip to the middle of nowhere. If at least your parents can make it to the ceremony (or someone special), it would be worth it. You are going to want to share the happiness and excitement of starting medical school with someone.

Reactions: 2 users
When I was in Kirksville, we had a nasty blizzard my first year and an overall bad winter. My little Yaris is definitely not made for the snow, but it got around just fine. Kirksville did a fairly good job of snow removal, even if they do decide to just pile the scraped snow in the middle of downtown lol.

The white coat ceremony is a big deal for incoming medical students (by the time 4th year arrives though, you really come to hate that short, ugly coat). My parents made the trip to come see the ceremony. Since my hometown was 12-13 hours away too, I did not ask anyone else to come. If they wanted to see it, they could watch the dvd made for us. But, maybe the are streaming the ceremony live online now? I know they are for graduation which is why I'm not asking anybody to make the trip to the middle of nowhere. If at least your parents can make it to the ceremony (or someone special), it would be worth it. You are going to want to share the happiness and excitement of starting medical school with someone.
Agreed on basically everything. Yes it's a big deal, but they stream it live so my wife and daughter were there while family watched from home (>18 hour drive). It was great to have someone to share that with. If I were single, I would have wanted my parents there without a doubt, but I wouldn't ask anyone else to make the trip. We have 4 wheel drive so I can only comment on how nice that was. It was nice.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, don't forget that guy that matched peds at UK! =)

It means this person is pretty smart and worked his or her butt off (though, you couldn't pay me enough to do rads, even if it is in southern cali).
Haha, there are a lot of excellent matches. I was just surprised to see someone land USC.

We do a pretty good job of covering identities lol.

So I used to own a Honda Prelude, I babied the crap out of it and did all the maintenance. Loved that car. The summer before my gap year, it died randomly (sheared the harmonic balancer bolt). Ended up getting a Honda CR-V in fairly rough shape and I was always ambivalent about owning it. After last winter, I regret nothing. That thing is a beast in the snow.

My mom came up for my white coat, and it looks like a lot of other people brought their families in for it.

Haha, there are a lot of excellent matches. I was just surprised to see someone land USC.

We do a pretty good job of covering identities lol.

So I used to own a Honda Prelude, I babied the crap out of it and did all the maintenance. Loved that car. The summer before my gap year, it died randomly (sheared the harmonic balancer bolt). Ended up getting a Honda CR-V in fairly rough shape and I was always ambivalent about owning it. After last winter, I regret nothing. That thing is a beast in the snow.

My mom came up for my white coat, and it looks like a lot of other people brought their families in for it.

The new ones with the beautiful boxy headlights are amazing.

I know I am still a little early (been told April 15th is the final deposit deadline date)...... but anyone here been accepted off the "accepted pending seat list" recently?

I received the call today. I got a spot for July 2014!!! But I was told there is a deposit due on April 15th and the last one is on May 15th.

Reactions: 2 users
I received the call today. I got a spot for July 2014!!! But I was told there is a deposit due on April 15th and the last one is on May 15th.

Congrats!!!! When did you get put on the accepted pending seat?

Thank you. I interviewed on 02/10/2014 and was placed on the pending a seat list on 02/21/2014.

Thank you. I interviewed on 02/10/2014 and was placed on the pending a seat list on 02/21/2014.

Well congrats! Good to know there is movement! Crossing my fingers, toes and eyes that a phone call will come my way soon! Turned down an acceptance for KCOM, its just too perfect of a fit for me to pass up! :)

KCOM called today and offered a seat starting this fall. Interviewed March 14. Accepted pending an open seat March 31.

Reactions: 1 users
Well congrats! Good to know there is movement! Crossing my fingers, toes and eyes that a phone call will come my way soon! Turned down an acceptance decided to wait for KCOM, its just too perfect of a fit for me to pass up! :)

Well congrats! Good to know there is movement! Crossing my fingers, toes and eyes that a phone call will come my way soon! Turned down an acceptance for KCOM, its just too perfect of a fit for me to pass up! :)
Do you mind sharing where you turned down an acceptance?

I am accepted pending seat, got my notice on April 2nd. Still patiently impatienly waiting. I have an offer for Michigan State University but KCOM is my top choice. Fingers still crossed.

I am accepted pending seat, got my notice on April 2nd. Still patiently impatienly waiting. I have an offer for Michigan State University but KCOM is my top choice. Fingers still crossed.

I'm in the same boat. Glad to have been accepted but I am anxiously awaiting this news too. When did you interview, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm in the same boat. Glad to have been accepted but I am anxiously awaiting this news too. When did you interview, if you don't mind me asking?

January 31st- notified I have been accepted! Got the call about April 18th

Anyone know what Orientation consists of? Hours/day? What exciting things we will be doing??

Anyone know what Orientation consists of? Hours/day? What exciting things we will be doing??

There is an orientation schedule in the ATSU portal. Log in to "My.ATSU" Click on the blue button titled "Orientation/White Coat" and select the first option in the drop-down menu titled "Schedule". Click that and you shall find that which you seek.

There is an orientation schedule in the ATSU portal. Log in to "My.ATSU" Click on the blue button titled "Orientation/White Coat" and select the first option in the drop-down menu titled "Schedule". Click that and you shall find that which you seek.

I haven't gotten my Log-in information yet. How long after paying your acceptance fee did it take to get your log in info?

I haven't gotten my Log-in information yet. How long after paying your acceptance fee did it take to get your log in info?

I asked KCOM about this very thing earlier this year. I was told that around 2 weeks is pretty normal.

Thank you for submitting an application to A.T. Still University/Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine for the Summer 2014 class. At this time, we have finalized our enrollment and wish to inform you that your application is being closed. If you wish to reapply for the ATSU/KCOM Summer 2015 Class, the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS) will accept applications through February 1, 2015. We encourage you to complete your application far in advance of the February 1 deadline. The AACOMAS application is available on-line at https://aacomas.aacom.org beginning in May.

Had0wG1.gif

I asked KCOM about this very thing earlier this year. I was told that around 2 weeks is pretty normal.
Hey all,
I have a question that I am hoping someone could answer for me. I was placed on the accepted pending list early April. I realize that I have a guarantee for July 2015 but what happens if a seat is available for 2014 and I decline it? Do I still have an acceptance for July 2015,
Neurotic Student trying to plan away ;)

Hey all,
I have a question that I am hoping someone could answer for me. I was placed on the accepted pending list early April. I realize that I have a guarantee for July 2015 but what happens if a seat is available for 2014 and I decline it? Do I still have an acceptance for July 2015,
Neurotic Student trying to plan away ;)
You can call and ask about that, perhaps telling them you've made plans for the gap year and would prefer to wait to matriculate in 2015.

You can call and ask about that, perhaps telling them you've made plans for the gap year and would prefer to wait to matriculate in 2015.
Def solid advice...since its pretty true. But if push comes to shove I am not turning up the chance to go here. I am very impressed with the school. I emailed them in regards to how the pending seat list is moving along and was told a bit of movement on the deadline dates. Next one I believe is May 15, so we shall see ;)

Def solid advice...since its pretty true. But if push comes to shove I am not turning up the chance to go here. I am very impressed with the school. I emailed them in regards to how the pending seat list is moving along and was told a bit of movement on the deadline dates. Next one I believe is May 15, so we shall see ;)

Yep, May 15 is the final deposit, thankfully.

Has anybody received their financial award letter yet? Do you know if we have to apply for Grad PLUS or if the school arranges that? I was going to apply on the website but it said don't do anything until the school tells you to.

Has anybody received their financial award letter yet? Do you know if we have to apply for Grad PLUS or if the school arranges that? I was going to apply on the website but it said don't do anything until the school tells you to.
Just fill out your FAFSA, the school will let you know after that.

Sounds good, thanks! Already finished.

I recall the feedback from ATSU upon getting my FAFSA information was that an award letter would be sent out 6 weeks prior to the start of classes. So I guess we should expect to hear something more on this in early to mid June.

I called and talked to the aid office. max package for this year is 78K to cover tuition and the living expenses. They provide a worksheet to help w budgeting. The package consists of the federal loan for tuition and then the plus loan offering, I believe they do in fall/spring installments. Thats all i know so far, im waiting for my package as well :)