A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Submitted acceptance packet! Kcom class of 2019!!
All we have to submit right now is $1000, the white paper with our initials, and background check correct? Because of so I also did!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
All we have to submit right now is $1000, the white paper with our initials, and background check correct? Because of so I also did!! :)
I believe so. For anyone reading this as long as you send the moolah and initials you are good. You have one month to submit background check afterward.

Reactions: 1 user

I did that and had my transcripts sent. Evidently, we will be getting our ATSU emails and portal access in January for other requirements like health insurance proof and immunizations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my acceptance packet today as well! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed there on 12/8. How long does it usually take to hear back from them? I really liked KCOM, and I really hope it goes well. I've been trying not to drive myself crazy speculating.

I interviewed there on 12/8. How long does it usually take to hear back from them? I really liked KCOM, and I really hope it goes well. I've been trying not to drive myself crazy speculating.

I interviewed 12/8 as well and I was told at the end it would be 2-3 weeks. However, it seems like some people on sdn have been hearing back in a week and a half or so...

Last edited:
I heard back in 6 days. A friend of mine was accepted after 3 weeks.

I heard back in 6-7 days from my interview date.

I interviewed on a Monday and I heard back the following Thursday.

I was driving myself crazy also. It was because I just wanted so badly to attend KCOM.

For the newly accepted students, congrats! I hope to joining the club soon! Would yall care to share your stats?

It just depends when they review the apps - I wouldn't take time frame too seriously

I interviewed 12/5, today i received a letter dated 12/12 notifying me I am on the alternate acceptance list. Just to give others an idea of what timeframe admissions are responding...

MCAT: 30
combined GPA: somewhere around 3.6, 3.7, not sure exactly what it came out to being

I interviewed 12/5, today i received a letter dated 12/12 notifying me I am on the alternate acceptance list. Just to give others an idea of what timeframe admissions are responding...

combined GPA: somewhere around 3.6, 3.7, not sure exactly what it came out to being

when were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)

edit: I noticed KCOM used to/still has 2 different wait lists, one for accepted pending available space, and then a "normal" wait list. Does anyone know if they still have the 2 lists or just 1? What kind of movement on the alternate wait list is there generally?

Accepted yesterday around 4 o'clock eastern via phone call :)

Interviewed 12/8 for those wondering.

Reactions: 6 users
I have already said this once, but a lot of people have been accepted in the last two months. Congrats to all those accepted! We will be learning osteopathic medicine at the place where osteopathic medicine began and we will be starting in about 7 months. As first, that sounded like a long time, but it also seems like I just filled out my ACCOMAS application. I can't wait to meet everyone, best of luck to those still waiting to hear back.

Reactions: 4 users
I have already said this once, but a lot of people have been accepted in the last two months. Congrats to all those accepted! We will be learning osteopathic medicine at the place where osteopathic medicine began and we will be starting in about 7 months. As first, that sounded like a long time, but it also seems like I just filled out my ACCOMAS application. I can't wait to meet everyone, best of luck to those still waiting to hear back.
Can't wait to start this journey

...we will be starting in about 7 months. As first, that sounded like a long time, but it also seems like I just filled out my ACCOMAS application....

Its funny you mention that, I was thinking exactly the same thing earlier this week. I have been planning out the move logistics, and making lists of things I still need and things I still need to do and thought "man, it really isn't that long at all." Echoing @Sg0904 's sentiment, I can't wait to start :).

So, how do we go about finding roommates? and what is the cost per month average for housing in kirksville? I see apartments that say $600-$850 for 3 bedroom, but I'm not sure if divided by 3 or if that is per person. Also, I need someone to tell me how much they really borrowed per year compared to the estimated on the website.

Last edited:
So, how do we go about finding roommates? and what is the cost per month average for housing in kirksville? I see apartments that say $600-$850 for 3 bedroom, but I'm not sure if divided by 3 or if that is per person. I need someone to tell me how much they really borrowed per year compared to the estimated on the website.
I borrowed the max amount. But that is because I have a wife and 2 kids. You definitely don't need the whole amount, but how much you actually need for an individual? I have no idea sorry.

edit: I noticed KCOM used to/still has 2 different wait lists, one for accepted pending available space, and then a "normal" wait list. Does anyone know if they still have the 2 lists or just 1? What kind of movement on the alternate wait list is there generally?

I think a few people get off the alternate list right before class starts. I only know of one person in my class who got off but there could be a few more I don't know of.

I borrowed the max amount. But that is because I have a wife and 2 kids. You definitely don't need the whole amount, but how much you actually need for an individual? I have no idea sorry.
Thanks. That alleviates some of my worries since I will be by myself. I did calculations for borrowing $65k and $70k with 6.1% interest compounding per year. Hopefully I'll only need the former because I don't have to pay health insurance. I'm assuming housing isn't 10k per year, I was thinking more like 4k? And transportation/personal just seemed a little inflated. Any current students think $65k is manageable?

I have been thinking about borrowing the max for the first year so I don't come up short and then base my subsequent years of borrowing on what I actually spent first year as I really have no idea what it will cost since the cost of living between where I live now and Kirksville seems to differ quite a bit.

Edit: Like @PKA<0 I would also be interested in hearing what current students actual total expense is.

The reason I don't want to take more initially is because of time value of money. 78,000 vs. 70,000 is an additional $2000 in interest over 4 years on top of owing $8000 more. It's actually smarter to start with less and add more to the amount you borrow as you go through school, but may prove to be uncomfortable.

Well that is what worries me, if I lowball it too much and come up short, I would likely have to end up getting a private loan to cover the shortfall and at least based on upon what I have looked at, a private bank loan is going to end up being much more costly and have less of a repayment time.

Though to be fair my expenses may be a bit higher than yours because I am not going the roommate route as I am rather partial to living alone for school.

Yeah I gotcha. I'm definitely trying to find some roomies. And I agree, private loans will have a higher interest rate, so low- balling is risky. I need data on current students.

Woot Woot! Last day of finals for the semester!

I hope everybody has a happy holiday vacation from school!

Interviewed on 12/5 and finally got my acceptance call today! 3 days after putting a deposit down at another school. Oh well, it's sad that $1000 seems like a drop in the bucket comparatively. Highly leaning towards KCOM at this point but still not a 100%. Where has everyone been searching for places? Are there helpful sites online? I'm a little too far away to pop in for a tour of apartments.

Reactions: 2 users
Received my acceptance packet! Class of 2019! Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed on 12/5 and finally got my acceptance call today! 3 days after putting a deposit down at another school. Oh well, it's sad that $1000 seems like a drop in the bucket comparatively. Highly leaning towards KCOM at this point but still not a 100%. Where has everyone been searching for places? Are there helpful sites online? I'm a little too far away to pop in for a tour of apartments.

I asked about housing and this is what admission said:

The housing portal usually opens towards the end of February and it is a helpful resource for incoming students. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help out with until then.

Thanks,
Admissions

Someone ask when we'll be added to the fb page :):):) I've already asked and I don't wanna be annoying haha

@Sg0904 , I emailed them awhile back about access to the portal and if anything else was required at this point and they told me that the portal would be going up after the first of the year. Perhaps they will send the Facebook page information at the same time as the portal login information :)

@Sg0904 , I emailed them awhile back about access to the portal and if anything else was required at this point and they told me that the portal would be going up after the first of the year. Perhaps they will send the Facebook page information at the same time as the portal login information :)
Ah okay thanks. They sent me an email saying once the December 16 date approaches they would add us that week. But nothing so far

I spoke to a third year student about financing kcom. He said that his second year he was able to live easily off $65k. He rented a 2 bedroom by himself for $440 a month. He basically said cook your own meals and don't act like a big shot at the bar when you go out and it's manageable.

I spoke to a third year student about financing kcom. He said that his second year he was able to live easily off $65k. He rented a 2 bedroom by himself for $440 a month. He basically said cook your own meals and don't act like a big shot at the bar when you go out and it's manageable.
What about first year?

He took more than that out because he didn't want to under shoot it. I will most likely do the same. Taking out 70k and adjusting accordingly the next year.

Good info @PKA<0 , thank you for sharing your findings!

You won't use the full loan amount if you take it out unless you go absolutely hogwild. It's Kirksville. Heck, I still take a few out-of-state side trips during the semester and end up with like $2000 to $4000 left over at the end.

I take out the full amount because I need a reserve to draw from in case of emergency. Depending on my housing situation for 3rd year, I may finally take out less.

Reactions: 2 users
First SDN post! :)
Accepted to KCOM last week. :soexcited:.Looking forward to meeting everyone next year.

Reactions: 6 users
Received an email yesterday notifying me that my decision will be released on Jan. 23rd, and I interviewed 12/8. I know a couple others have posted in this thread that are in the same boat. From what I have dug up in previous years threads, its not a death sentence at all. Let me know if anyone else has gotten this confusing email haha

Just signed our lease (my wife and I) for a house in Kirksville! We are so pumped!

Reactions: 3 users
Just signed our lease (my wife and I) for a house in Kirksville! We are so pumped!

Makes it feel all the more real :). I know that was how I felt when I did my apartment lease a couple of weeks ago.

So, question to pose for the group here: why KCOM? I've recently received an acceptance @ LECOM-Erie (only one so far) and have my interview in less than a month for KCOM.

I'm finishing up college, interested in ER med, family med, and anesthesia (but open to anything of course). Cleveland native.

Thanks! I'm still reading through this thread, but wanted to put this post on here asap for any possible answers.

Ultrasound. Patient simulators. They accepted me.