A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To go on, proximity to STL, the established reputation, and likelihood of residency where I want it.

Edit: also there is no mandatory attendance. No dress code. And the people are super friendly.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just accepted to KCOM!! So excited to meet everyone! Just sending out my deposit and forms. I need to start looking for a house for my family.

Reactions: 2 users
Ultrasound. Patient simulators. They accepted me.

But is that worth a $24K+ difference? I personally don't mind a dress code or mandatory attendance and I felt the same about the students over at LECOM~

Members don't see this ad :)
But is that worth a $24K+ difference? I personally don't mind a dress code or mandatory attendance and I felt the same about the students over at LECOM~
That is for you decide. My reasonings may be different than yours. Your question (lecom vs. kcom ) belongs in the thread "choosing an Osteopathic Medical school".

As @PKA<0 said that is your choice to make and only you can make it. I know that for me, KCOM was the furthest school away for me and in the middle of the price range of my acceptances, but I liked it that much that I chose it anyway despite closer and cheaper options. My full reasons are in post #518 of this thread.

Reactions: 1 users
As @PKA<0 said that is your choice to make and only you can make it. I know that for me, KCOM was the furthest school away for me and in the middle of the price range of my acceptances, but I liked it that much that I chose it anyway despite closer and cheaper options. My full reasons are in post #518 of this thread.

Thanks! And I had read your post - appreciate it!

Welcome to all of the people who were just accepted! I cannot wait to meet all of you in July!

Alright, new question: are there opportunities to participate in research at KCOM as a med student? If so, in what capacity?

Just signed the lease for my living accommodations in Kirksville!

Question: Do most students at KCOM take both the COMLEX and USMLE?

Last edited:
Just signed the lease for my living accommodations in Kirksville!

Congratulations! I think you'll really enjoy it here.

I would say the minority take both USMLE and COMLEX. If I remember correctly they said ~30% took the USMLE two years ago but only ~3% requested their scores be sent to a school. Basically, they tried to let us know we probably don't need to take the USMLE. I'm sure there is a thread on SDN discussing all the pros and cons of taking both, so I won't go into all of those details, but it really boils down to your personal situation and two questions. What residency are you interested in? Does it require the USMLE?

Keep in mind that things are always changing, though, especially with the AOA/ACGME residency merger. No one knows exactly what will happen in the next few years so it's almost impossible to predict what your class will do as far as COMLEX/USMLE.

Alright, new question: are there opportunities to participate in research at KCOM as a med student? If so, in what capacity?

Honestly, research is not highly emphasized at KCOM, if emphasized at all. That doesn't mean there aren't opportunities, though. The masters of biomedical sciences program here does some pretty cool research you can get involved in. There is a summer research program. A good number of my friends did research over the summer between first and second year with physicians in the area (orthopedics, surgery, etc). Also, there are plenty of research opportunities if you are interested in osteopathic research. This is the founding osteopathic school, after all.

If you are interested in doing some kind of research I would keep asking around, especially once you get to Kirksville. There are plenty of opportunities, I think, if you're willing to find them.

So I interviewed on 12/15 and tomorrow will be 3 weeks. I understand holidays are in there, but I would assume the girl had that in mind too when she said 2-3 weeks. Would it be acceptable to call near the end of the day tomorrow?

I'm trying to avoid paying for flights to other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think calling right after a break would not be a good idea. You have to give them some time considering that probably more than a week and a half of that time was taken up by a break.

I think calling right after a break would not be a good idea. You have to give them some time considering that probably more than a week and a half of that time was taken up by a break.
And I get that. It just seems she would have given me a longer time estimate given that.

The ATSU KCOM 2019 facebook group is up!

Reactions: 2 users
My app was done 7/7/14 and they waited for meat retake on 9/10/14. I called they had everything in October but my status has not changed on computer and I haven't heard anything. Advice.

Anyone still on pre-interview hold? Hoping to hear back sometime

Just received my II moments ago!! Very excited...this seems like a great school!

Reactions: 3 users
Where are you guys seeing the status? I put in the code and nothing happens lol

Where are you guys seeing the status? I put in the code and nothing happens lol
Me too. All I see is that everything has been received by them. Does another line or tab come up when you get an II?

I know when I got my II in August it was a separate email. I don't recall it ever being a part of the status page.

I recieved a letter saying that I was on pre-interview hold.

I called to follow up and the lady was a little rude lol no update though.

Hey all, interviewing here soon and I have a silly little question.... I know it's going to be ridiculously cold the day I interview and was wondering if there is a coat room or some designated area to take off the winter gear. I seriously have no idea how these things usually work for colder areas and am hoping I don't have to take off my coat in the car and sprint inside in my suit. Also, does anyone know if you walk around outside at all on the interview day? Otherwise, I heard Kirksville has beautiful scenery and can't wait to see it!

Hey all, interviewing here soon and I have a silly little question.... I know it's going to be ridiculously cold the day I interview and was wondering if there is a coat room or some designated area to take off the winter gear. I seriously have no idea how these things usually work for colder areas and am hoping I don't have to take off my coat in the car and sprint inside in my suit. Also, does anyone know if you walk around outside at all on the interview day? Otherwise, I heard Kirksville has beautiful scenery and can't wait to see it!
There is a place inside to put your coat! And you go on a campus tour and somewhat is outside. You can put on your coat again tho. The closet is very accessible

Only 1/30 open for interview will they open 2/2 soon.

Thanks! I only see 1/30 at the moment. Do you know if there a subsequent date after 2/2. I'm scheduled to travel to Boston on 2/2 for work. 1/30 works, but I want to have a secondary date just in case.

Only 1/30 open for interview will they open 2/2 soon.

Hey everyone, who else is interviewing this upcoming Friday (1/16)? I am flying in from Baltimore on Thursday and staying the night at a current student's residence.. very excited! This will be my second interview after I just had LECOM yesterday.

I was accepted this morning! Will probably attend!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi All, I will be interviewing on Jan 30 at 8:45 a.m. Can someone that interviewed let me know what time I could expect to be done with my day roughly? I'll be looking at tickets this wknd. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi All, I will be interviewing on Jan 30 at 8:45 a.m. Can someone that interviewed let me know what time I could expect to be done with my day roughly? I'll be looking at ticket this wknd. Thanks!
You'll be done before 2

Hi All, I will be interviewing on Jan 30 at 8:45 a.m. Can someone that interviewed let me know what time I could expect to be done with my day roughly? I'll be looking at ticket this wknd. Thanks!

We were finished around 2:30 the day I interviewed. I drove up to Des Moines after the interview, spent the night and flew out the next day.

Got invite for facebook page today. See you guys there!

Congratulations! I was on the same interview day (morning group) so I am also hoping I hear something soon. I believe they said their main acceptance method is via phone call but i don't remember them saying anything about rejection notifications?

Do they just not call if you aren't accepted? I am hoping that I hear something this following week as KCOM is where I really want to go.

I don't know, but I was called by one of my interviewers. I had been told by that interviewer that I would be called as soon as possible about a decision. Maybe they haven't made all their decisions yet.

I will keep my fingers crossed for all of you waiting. Hope we can all be classmates.

Thank you both! I'll just plan to be done by 3 p.m. Not sure which airport I'm going to fly into/out of, but probably makes the most sense to splurge on a hotel and fly out in the morning since it'll be at least 3 hrs to the airport (accounting for possible traffic). I do have a friend in KC that has begging me to come visit so maybe I'll crash with her if the flights work out so I can fly out of KC.

On a side-note, is anyone on this thread debating between here and NSU? I have both these coming up and they were my top two D.O. choices going into the interview season. Just curious.

Good luck to all!

You'll be done before 2

We were finished around 2:30 the day I interviewed. I drove up to Des Moines after the interview, spent the night and flew out the next day.

I don't know, but I was called by one of my interviewers. I had been told by that interviewer that I would be called as soon as possible about a decision. Maybe they haven't made all their decisions yet.

I will keep my fingers crossed for all of you waiting. Hope we can all be classmates.
I was interviewed two days before you and still haven't heard anything. I'm now at the 4-weeks mark. I'm trying to be patient, but now I'm getting frustrated.

Just got my II today. Signed up for 1/30

>3.5 >28 (balanced) ec's are all pretty extensive, no issues there

Anyone know how full the class is already? I dont want to be interviewing for a slim to none chance =\

Going to be driving so if you live NW of the school anywhere up to 8 hours away, send me a PM maybe we can car pool

Reactions: 3 users
That is for you decide. My reasonings may be different than yours. Your question (lecom vs. kcom ) belongs in the thread "choosing an Osteopathic Medical school".

Nailed it. You go where you think you're going to thrive--no amount of savings is worth trying to push it at a place where you won't do your best work. Or heaven forbid, where you won't survive.

So for me, LECOM didn't appear to be a good fit.

I'm not sure about "most" but a lot choose to. I had planned on taking both when I came here, but because of the merger progressing and the specialties I'm interested in I'm now leaning towards COMLEX only. I still plan on applying to both matches, should they still be separate by the time I graduate.

Last edited:
Can anybody elaborate on how clinical rotations work? Are only 3rd year core rotations completed at your regional site or all rotations excluding electives?
@coolingglasses
@abolt18